rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
4/2/14 5:49 p.m.

I swapped a 302/T5 into my e36 about 3 years ago, and have been having a hoot with it since. I'm going to be moving the car in a different direction, so I thought I would put the full swap kit up for sale. Car is currently running and driving if you want a tester.

Includes everything from radiator to exhaust:

• radiator and bracketry and overflow tank
  • engine
  • trans (T5)
  • shifter
  • engine mounts
  • trans mount
  • hydraulic clutch slave setup using BMW slave
  • driveshaft to BMW diff
  • e36 PS pump and hoses
  • remote oil filter and hoses
  • belts
  • headers, and rest of exhaust
  • engine wiring and pcm (wiring is already done, you would simply need to plug it into the BMW connector)
  • some extra 302 parts
  • a book I bought with info for the swap

Some details:

Motor has lots of miles (dont know how many) but has consistent compression and runs well. from a 89 mustang 5.0. Was torn down, cleaned and given all new gaskets during the swap. e303 cam. ford explorer shorter front dress, crank scraper, lightweight flywheel, stock mustang just about everything else. Can run the mustang self-diag and returns some codes, but goes through the cylinder balance test a few times before stopping (meaning all 8 are within 5 or 3% of each other or something). Idle surge when cold. Have dyno sheets at 207 at the wheels. Extra parts include valve covers and brand new oil pan, various covers and other bits.

Trans shifts fine in all gears except needs the 4th gear synchro. Holds all gears just fine. Has a short shifter with adjustable throw stops.

Can include a cheapo coilover set for e36s if you promise to take this to the challenge. I might consider selling the whole car if someone is interested. I'm located in the southern suburbs of chicago. I would be interested in trades or partial trades for m42/m44 + 5spd e36s/drivetrain, possibly a miata drivetrain. Possibly a really nice MGB short block as well.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
7/29/14 11:05 a.m.

Mega price break! would let this all go for 750.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
7/29/14 11:27 a.m.

This seems like a smoking deal. GLWS!

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
7/29/14 3:29 p.m.

Hmmm, that is a deal. And I am driving to Nebraska at the end of August for Solo Nats. I wonder how difficult it would be to get it all in the back of my Yukon XL (Suburban) with the trailer still attached. And if my codrivers would mind making the stop off I80.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/29/14 3:42 p.m.

You would want to drop the trailer......

And if it weren't for weight balance, I'd probably offer to trade an e36 m42/5sp combo for it.....but alas, I don't want to have to deal with that and running X-prepared.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
7/29/14 4:55 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

running x-prepared is rough, ask me how I know.

as far as weight balance, the v8 is heavier, yes. by how much, I don't know. you do get the benefit over an inline 6 though that it is significantly shorter, and probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the engine is behind the front shock uprights.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
7/29/14 8:44 p.m.

I sent a note or PM, but in case you do not receive, can you email me at mlodsin at yahoo.com? Looking to discuss the swap and potential pickup logistics.

Looking to get some power to my recently acquired e36 drift machine!

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
7/29/14 9:18 p.m.

Oh man...if only I was closer to Chicago...

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
7/30/14 11:09 a.m.

crxmike - email sent

danielcut - as my swimming coach would say "don't make excuses, make adjustments" ha!

teamsoy
teamsoy New Reader
8/17/14 11:11 a.m.

Would you be willing to ship?

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
8/17/14 11:33 a.m.

I am waaaay to close to Chicago for this. Thank God I don't have an e36 anymore. But this would be a good reason to get another one, right?

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/27/14 1:32 p.m.
teamsoy wrote: Would you be willing to ship?

not really, unless you really make it worth my while. sorry.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/27/14 1:33 p.m.
toad9977 wrote: I am waaaay to close to Chicago for this. Thank God I don't have an e36 anymore. But this would be a good reason to get another one, right?

i'll do you one better. I'm going to put the whole car up for sale. Post to follow.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
8/27/14 1:41 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif: Details?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
8/27/14 1:43 p.m.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know of a e34 wagon begging for this swap

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/27/14 1:50 p.m.

Ok, deciding that I am going to list the whole car for sale. I have one pic in my profile here, email me for more. I have tons.

1993 325i to start. all v8 swap stuff, running and driving. no interior except dash (gutted except defrost and blower left and they still work), sunroof (works), and original power sport seats in tan. driver's side is ripped. Current weight about 2700 according to a grain scale (10 lb increments, was able to exactly pin my weight when I got out of the car and off the scale, take that for what it is). 207 hp at the wheels according to the dyno at kelly moss motorsports in madison.

Rear subframe pulled out while in my ownership but I had the m3 replacements professionally welded back in. I also added powerflex rear subframe bushings.

Vorschlag AST 4100 shocks (single adjustable) at all 4 corners and race 600/750 (front/rear) springs. Vorschlag camber plates, rear shock mounts, and new RTABs with poly limiters.

Newish front CABs (offset 95 m3) and 96-99 m3 control arms and ball joints. lots of caster, maybe too much, idk. Also has the front x-brace from a convertible. Stock sway bars and links, but the front ASTs have the m3 mounting tabs to a couple of m3 swaybar links will net a stiffer front sway than stock m3.

4 door shell, good condition, very clean underneath rust wise. was a colorado car before I moved to the midwest, where it was only an autox car. I have been told the 4 door shells are the stiffest e36s.

I'll throw in lots of e36 parts as well, including stock stereo stuff, AC stuff, extra set of 16x8 wheels - might not be straight, extra set of unknown springs, and keyless entry fob and unit.

Price: $3000

(engine swap stuff 750 + suspension 2000 + shell and extras 250)

Moving this to the open classified as well, since this is more than $2014.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/27/14 1:58 p.m.

link to my post in the other classifieds section:

Open classified thread

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/27/14 2:00 p.m.
klodkrawler05 wrote: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know of a e34 wagon begging for this swap

this has win written all over it. if I were to do it again.....

karplus2
karplus2
9/1/14 10:27 a.m.

Hi! I am building a Ford Ranger for a challenge vehicle. It is already set up to receive a 302 and t5. I know you listed the whole car, but would you still be interested in selling the engine/trans?

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
9/2/14 7:43 p.m.

Still willing to sell the whole kit? I've been staring at this and thinking about pulling and selling the M52 and figuring out the logistics of getting this from Chicago later.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
9/3/14 3:40 p.m.

really just looking at selling the whole car at this point. much easier to transport the drivetrain when it moves itself around so well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18ro8DH5PTFD27u0Bfd6PWxMnie3fE7RYbNrpIaRx5qA27k5wvBdiMrw5o87us92