Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/6/17 6:13 p.m.

Update: now for half price!! Probably the cheapest car on the market with air conditioned leather seats...

and I bet if you brought a trailer and a case of beer (in fact - maybe I will email)

AAAAAND, there are cheap helical LSDs that sell on ebay for 300-400 and fit this trans. Do it when you have the trans out for a new clutch.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6150999757.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5977159467.html

These make 300 HP on a tune you can do for FREE.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/6/17 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

In for the tune info. And the 9-5 looks saveable.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
3/6/17 8:37 p.m.

Dolph Lundgren like potential

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/6/17 9:44 p.m.

Robbie! Go get that and I will deliver you a Fiat "race car" as straight trade!

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
3/7/17 10:32 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Hehehe, can't tell if serious?

(Can't tell if I would seriously consider if you were serious... So maybe I better not ask)

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
3/7/17 2:19 p.m.

Wow, everything to fix this is in my garage, other than the clutch kit. If I only had 850

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/9/17 8:52 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Robbie! Go get that and I will deliver you a Fiat "race car" as straight trade!

There may be an update on said "Fiat race car" very shortly!!!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
3/10/17 8:10 a.m.

I don't think I have seen an Aero in that color, and those are my fav 9-5 wheels.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

I am quite serious!

Murphy
Murphy Reader
3/14/17 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

With all the torque steer you could ever ask for.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/30/17 11:24 a.m.

updated first post bump

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/30/17 11:49 a.m.

BUY IT!!! I want it but can't make it up there for a bit. This is a forgiveness not permission type of situation. I can paypal you for the Beer! .

How are these engines for rebuilding. I have not done a full rebuild before...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/30/17 12:02 p.m.

I am officially intrigued by these cars.

Robbie wrote: Update: now for half price!! Probably the cheapest car on the market with air conditioned leather seats... AAAAAND, there are cheap helical LSDs that sell on ebay for 300-400 and fit this trans. Do it when you have the trans out for a new clutch. These make 300 HP on a tune you can do for FREE. https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6150999757.html
Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/30/17 12:07 p.m.

emailed the seller. We will see (I wonder if it truly needs a rebuild or not - noisy motor could mean a lot of things, and clutch issues are one thing that could cause a "noisy motor").

Unfortunately I am slammed busy the next two weeks (packing and moving this week and traveling for work next week), but maybe we can reel this fish in.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/30/17 12:09 p.m.
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/30/17 12:16 p.m.

Ooooh. Keep me updated. If you don't want it for yourself, I am happy to take it off you!

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/30/17 8:31 p.m.

Talked to the seller. Seems a nice guy, but got burned by a previous buyer.

Oil light is on so I would assume motor is toast.

Singleslammer, I told him I would be out of pocket for a couple weeks, but he was ok to hold it for me/you. He already got a $200 for scrap offer, but seemed to want it to get rebuilt or used by an enthusiast for parts. I won't be able to get to a project like this for possibly years, so if you want I can give you his number. Pm/email me if you want it. If the seller can hold it for a couple weeks I may be able to hold it for you longer but I don't have a great method of moving it (my tow bar might work though).

On parts, if the turbo is good the turbo, seats and wheels easily cover the buy in, and the trans is a bit beefier than the 9-3 models (and that LSD fits). Lots of small things after that, the aero body pieces are worth a little bit.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/30/17 8:47 p.m.

Ha ha, I would love to buy it but I just burned my forgiveness not permission for this month on a sweet Dayton band saw off eBay. That was found and purchased since my last post!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
5/31/17 9:08 a.m.

Will that trans fit the earlier b234 engines? I keep finding lots of them near me that would make good donors.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/31/17 9:50 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Will that trans fit the earlier b234 engines? I keep finding lots of them near me that would make good donors.

I believe so (never done it). The viggen uses basically the 9-5 drivetrain in a 9-3 though so axles, front uprights, and other stuff can help for swaps.

Here is from wiki (these are saab "h" engine family).

Wiki said: B205 & B235: The B205 and B235 engines are an evolution of the B204 and B234 engines. They were introduced in the 1998 Saab 9-5 giving reduced fuel consumption and emissions with improved refinement. The changes included lightweight internal components (lighter valves, softer valve springs, longer conrods with lighter pistons, and balance shafts), lighter block and cover, heavier flywheel and more. Another development was the introduction of the Trionic 7 torque demand type engine management system. Trionic 7 equipped engines have the black direct ignition casing on top of the engine rather than the red of the Trionic 5.
Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/31/17 10:34 a.m.

666 HP saab built on stock bottom end internals, custom cam, and holset hx40 at 2.3 bar (no nitrous either)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_zLHZKe_M

Build Info: http://www.serioussaab.co.uk/articles_pages/B2x4tribute.html

boy howdy! Giving me all sorts of bad ideas.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
5/31/17 10:50 a.m.

Bad SAAB ideas? Okay here's an off-the-shelf bellhousing to adapt the old b2x4 engines to any RWD T5 trans

I thought HARD about this route when concocting the Rice Rod, but the SC300 donor fell into my lap. Saabs are cheap right now.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/31/17 11:29 a.m.

wooow...probably the greatest "potential awesomeness/dollar" craigslist find Ive seen in a looong time. If only I had my garage already built, this would definitely be the inaugural project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L7ZWVlDKLDsI8aZmugbiNg5lVf7hCFHb21AoPQso2wxtIri8PuCg4Sb7VkfdjZbG