9 10 11
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/24 12:23 p.m.

Down to 5th final in great tire wide under budget. Im ok with that, honestly. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/6/24 12:50 p.m.

Well done Michael!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/24 5:54 p.m.

Lets go drag racing!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/24 6:13 p.m.

Stock was 15.5

I just did 15.3 at 90 out of the gate

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/24 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

and now I owe you lunch tomorrow

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
4/6/24 6:18 p.m.

lower tire pressures, rev higher in the lights?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/24 6:32 p.m.

It got slower run 2, and starter breaking up in third. 

Im done. Taking home a running car is more important than finding a tenth.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
4/6/24 6:59 p.m.

sorry for jinxing it, by commenting frown

good job altogether, nonetheless

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/24 7:02 p.m.

No worries! I don't think you jinxed it at all.

Its a 206k mile turbo subaru that i have beat relentlessly today. 

Its done a fantastic job.

jovibuilt
jovibuilt New Reader
4/7/24 7:44 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

So for this one as it was really bad, I had kind of a nuclear approach. The whole car was washed with a mixture of chemical guys clean slate car wash, Dawn dish soap, purple Power and Water. All the rubber and black plastic trim had special attention paid to it with kitchen scrubby pads for the Teflon pans and concrete scrub brushes to get the oxidized rubber off. This also got a lot of the contamination off of the black Plastics but still left them Gray and Truckee looking. This mixture in a great job of removing baked in and ground in paint contaminants in the nooks and crannies and seems as well. Car was then buffed with 3m compound in the purple bottle and a white pad on a porter cable da, and received two coats of seaports 3.0 ceramico. The Plastics and rubbers were treated with a generous helping of Chemical Guys vrp applied with a microfiber applicator and worked into the surfaces until they would accept no more. Paint was then top coated with two coats of Maguire's pure gold Carnival Wax.

So glad you posed what you used. I just picked up the Chemical Guys VRP and it works great. What would you recommend for plastic body cladding that's turned gray. Like on a Chevy avalanche? Your car looks great!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/7/24 10:35 p.m.

I got to take this for a lap on the autocross.

 

It is legitimately FUN.  Well balanced.  Could have taken SEVERAL seconds off the run with better tires.  When they slide, they just give up.

 

That being said, it was well balanced and went exactly where I wanted it.  Quite neutral (unexpected).

To be clear, not fun to drive "for a baja".  Just straight FUN to drive.  Automatic and all!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/8/24 12:31 a.m.
jovibuilt said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

So for this one as it was really bad, I had kind of a nuclear approach. The whole car was washed with a mixture of chemical guys clean slate car wash, Dawn dish soap, purple Power and Water. All the rubber and black plastic trim had special attention paid to it with kitchen scrubby pads for the Teflon pans and concrete scrub brushes to get the oxidized rubber off. This also got a lot of the contamination off of the black Plastics but still left them Gray and Truckee looking. This mixture in a great job of removing baked in and ground in paint contaminants in the nooks and crannies and seems as well. Car was then buffed with 3m compound in the purple bottle and a white pad on a porter cable da, and received two coats of seaports 3.0 ceramico. The Plastics and rubbers were treated with a generous helping of Chemical Guys vrp applied with a microfiber applicator and worked into the surfaces until they would accept no more. Paint was then top coated with two coats of Maguire's pure gold Carnival Wax.

So glad you posed what you used. I just picked up the Chemical Guys VRP and it works great. What would you recommend for plastic body cladding that's turned gray. Like on a Chevy avalanche? Your car looks great!

If you look a little later in the posts, when i got to my laptop i went into greater detail with pictures and corrected information instead of talk-to-text gibberish. Ultimately, unsed the same process on the black exterior plastics. They were semi grey, especially the bed, and came back really nice. 

 

Rob: i did a lot of thinking on the way home abou this car, this challenge, and what i want to OWN. end result is I already own it, amd your summary is on point. Its loose enough to be fun, powerful enough to be fun, forgiving, and reliable. Now to leave it alone and not "improve" it

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
4/9/24 10:47 a.m.

The car looked awesome, man. Congrats!

My kids love the key chains by the way - thanks!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/24 11:08 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

It was fantastic to meet you and your family as well sir. Loved watching the mini run. And I'm glad the key chains were a hit.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/9/24 11:11 a.m.

I gave my kiddos the Keychain today.  They lived them!

I would consider getting better tires and we can work on the alignment.  That alone would make a big difference.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/24 11:14 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Better tires are already done. I unloaded it from the trailer into my tire guys parking lot and took them the brand new generals that I had gotten on clearance at the Tire Rack. It's already got a lot more grip. Alignment will happen as well with new struts now that it's knocked out of the envelope class by new tires.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/12/24 7:36 p.m.

sold!!!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/12/24 8:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

sold!!!

Wait, wut?  Damn.  That is a good car!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/12/24 8:47 p.m.

It is, and hopefully will be for the new owner (who's dream car is a turbo baja). 

Im at the point where the stuff i own owns me, so I'm fixing it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/12/24 9:11 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It is, and hopefully will be for the new owner (who's dream car is a turbo baja). 

Im at the point where the stuff i own owns me, so I'm fixing it.

Yup.  That's why I'm down to just the px9.  One project to get really good Is enough for me.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
6/14/24 10:00 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im at the point where the stuff i own owns me, so I'm fixing it.

How may I subscribe to your news letter laugh

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/14/24 10:57 a.m.
sevenracer said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im at the point where the stuff i own owns me, so I'm fixing it.

How may I subscribe to your news letter laugh

Ask yourself what possessions bring you Joy, and what activities bring you Joy. Keep the possessions that bring you Joy and the possessions that facilitate the activities that bring period the other stuff that brings you stress and worry and anxiety or that you are quite lackadaisical about, tends to be the stuff that owns you. At least that's what I'm finding for me. Your mileage may vary

9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
itO9uIWYUe9EGTUuihRvPntVm41w6z7MU4c6oI6ZwJQw545ZVBF0VZ8v0kzo8ghe