1 2
Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/21/22 8:00 p.m.

I'm not great at welding aluminum, so I need to ensure I give myself the best possible chances for success.  Welding an oil impregnated oil pan, well, that's going to be a challenge.  I spent a couple nights this week scrubbing the pan with some scotchbrite, non-chlorinated decreaser and much elbow grease.  It was working, just slow, and I was having trouble cleaning the nooks and crannies.  While questioning my life choices, I decided to call in a favor.

One of my friends is an collector of fine used industrial equipment.  Mills, lathes, other machine tools, excavators, skid steers.. you get the hint.  Well, he has a 2 hp, 20 gallon ultrasonic cleaner that's been taking up space since he doesn't have a good place to use it.  That should do the trick, right? 

Right!

Before - see previous post and the below:

After 4 hours, I present one clean pan!

Great success!  I used about 1 qt of Simple Green to 20 gallons of water.  The cleaner doesn't have a heater, but the vibration heated the 50F well water to 130ish before I turned it off.  It'll probably work faster if I can preheat the water, but that's a problem for another day.

No pictures, but I modified the pickup today and ordered some 1/8" 6061 sheet so I can finish the pan.  Probably won't be able to work on it till next weekend - I need to bring the wifes car into the garage for a full brake job.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/9/22 4:18 p.m.

I dare say I'm getting the hang of aluminum. It's even water tight! Hopefully I have some time to turn a couple bungs for the pan this weekend.

I ended up cutting more off the pan than I wanted. The leading edge of the sump was the lowest part, so I tapered the pan back towards the rear but lost a good bit of volume as a result. An oil cooler would probably be a good idea to make up for the lost volume and maybe an accusump if I have pressure issues.

I gotta practice feeding filler rod in thru my hand vs holding it and bringing my hand closer to the weld.  Now that I have cleanliness and some technique figured out, that seems like a next logical skill to learn.  Welding is fun!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
11/13/22 1:43 p.m.

Well, that didn't work out as initially planned... That said, I didn't thoroughly plan.

I tried turning up some 1/2 npt bungs, but had a heck of a time cutting threads. So. Fine, we'll zap in some -10 AN fittings for the turbo oil drain and the pan drain.

Next up: cutting the -10 PTFE oil drain hose.... Crap, a straight and a 90 deg fitting don't work, so order up a 45 deg.  Crap, that still doesn't really work, the flex line is going to end up being 1-2", way too short.

Fine. Let's do what I should have from day 1 on the silly oil drain: order the FM kit with fittings and the nice flex hose that's surprisingly hard to find elsewhere.

While that's in the mail, let's cut off the turbo drain and tap it 3/8 npt. After playing around with the hose when it gets here, it wants to kink, so we'll escalate again: I'll turn up a 3/8 npt bung, and zap it in on an angle. That gets us to here: I'll call this a success! I definitely made it harder than it needed to be.

Next order of business: figure out how I'm going to modify the dipstick, install the pan fer good.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
11/18/22 9:24 a.m.

On the front suspension, will you be adding a sway bar?

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
sI3BVjw7dWcS8Eae9P3Dmbqrc3SErNKX2iVpyUedwoYZTmtBFfOKyZDV1stMDhqh