2 3 4 5 6
rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
9/3/19 8:59 p.m.

Success with the stripped brake bleeder screw.  Hit it with pb blaster overnight, percussive force, MAP gas, and finally took a size smaller hex head and beat it into the stripped nut. After that, it came off with a 1/4” drive! 

Bad news is that no auto store around me has the correct thread bleeder screw. Have to wait for that one from amazon! 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
9/9/19 7:26 a.m.

Updates for the weekend: 

Good: Finished the TL brake fluid, took it out for a spin to activate ABS a few times and make sure no air got in the system - all is well.

Bad: Found a significant amount of rust in the formed "frame rails" of the TL. I'm not pleased with it, but at the same time, this is my winter car, so if it lasts a few more years, I'll be happy with it. Mentally, it helps me to know it's not going to be my car for too long because I don't have to make it perfect. Since I'm now all caught up on fluids, I may just do the bare minimum of oil and filters for the next few years and see how far that gets me!

Good: Since all the tools were out, I got fresh brake fluid in Bettie. My Mityvac wouldn't hold vacuum on it so I was worried I got air in the system, (which would be pretty unlikely seeing as the bleed valve is on the top of all the calipers) so I ended up opening the valves, and pumping brakes as a one man job. After a short drive of a lot of ABS stops, it turns out I'm good! That was 16 year old brake fluid, so I feel better now!

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
10/10/19 7:16 a.m.

Updates and questions for you vette guys out there!

Bettie has been running great - I've put 10k miles on her in the past year, and I love driving her. Renewed power steering is great, she runs very well, etc., etc. I'm beginning to get some squeaks in the rear as I ride over bumps, so I ordered some moog sway bar end links and polyurethane sway bar bushings all around - all for under $130! Since some parts are back-ordered, I should get them in November, which is fine because it's not urgent.

######Here's the question - as I go over speed bumps, I am getting what feels like a pedal box shake or shimmy. I don't feel the shake/shimmy anywhere but the pedals. I don't see a way (or I'm too big to see in the right spots) to tighten down the pedal box. Have any of you experienced this/ what should I be looking for? It could be suspension and I just feel it in the pedals because that's where my feet are, but I would think I'd feel it in my hands and butt too, if that were the case. Any feedback would be appreciated!

And these past few months have been SUPER busy, but this weekend I'm going to try to install my aluminum steering rack bushing, fix a small leak (like 4 drops a day - I suspect out of the PS system), and treat my door/window seals with shin-etsu silicone grease. I also have a stuck rear caliper on the Acura so I'm doing rear pads/rotors/brake hoses on both sides, and one caliper. The other rear caliper is new, and looking in the maintenance log, it seems to have also bound up. Hoses are 15 years old so might as well get it all at once!

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
10/14/19 8:05 a.m.

Looks like I jinxed Bettie with the last post. The leak is still small, but it's growing, and it looks like it's oil. Not looking forward to hunting it down.

I did forget to mention that I was having problems with the serpentine belt jumping the tensioner assembly. It's aligned properly, and it seems like this is a relatively common ls6 problem, when driven hard.

The fix is an ls2 pulley with higher pulley walls. I ordered the whole assembly just in case the tensioner spring was loose too. New ls2 assy on the left:

A few drives later, still driving it hard, and no jumping problems yet!

And of course I didn't get as far as I wanted on the Acura brakes because of rust. I had to drill out 3 bolts, but I'm halfway done with the job. Here's my bound caliper!

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
10/24/19 10:37 a.m.

OK, finished the TL brakes - new caliper, new hoses, new pads, and new rotors. Easy peasy. The E-brake hardware was down to metal on the shoes, and the rest had rusted itself together so... to be honest I just removed it since it didn't work. But brakes work great with no squeal, etc. etc. Here's the only picture - because everyone knows what brakes look like!

Now I have a good list of things to do for the vette over the winter. First, I need to give her a good bath, and get her ready for storage, which is a sad prospect.

Second, I need to sort the oil leak, which is worrisome. 

Third, I have the steering rack bushing to install.

Fourth, I heard some squeaking in the rear. Lots of forums say it's sway bar bushings and end links. It may or may not be, but they're still 15 yeas old so no harm in changing them.

Wish me luck on getting this done before it's cold! I just need one free weekend... 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
12/2/19 10:29 a.m.

Finally got around to doing the bushings. I think they were a little dried up and/or worn out!

Sadly, this took 2 weeks' worth of work (well, really a few hours buuuuttt I don't live near my garage so any problems compounded time). First, Summit had the wrong bushings listed as fitting the Z06, so I had to send those back after removing the worn ones from the car. That ended the first weekend as I waited for new parts. Second, since all these bushings are bolted into aluminum frames, I found out that most of them needed chased to get the bolts back in. SUPER EASY work, until you don't have enough room to fit a tap and tap handle to chase the threads, so you do it with a wrench and 1/8 turns lol.

Anywho, I got it all buttoned up - I ordered red for no other reason than looks.

She's up for the winter so I won't remember any driving characteristic changes, but if the squeak is gone I will be happy. 

KaiserM715
KaiserM715 New Reader
12/19/19 1:28 p.m.

I'm glad I ran across this thread.  I sold my MS Miata and bought an '03 Z06 a few months ago.  How has the new PS pump held up?  Good info on the LS2 tensioner.

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
12/20/19 6:37 a.m.

In reply to KaiserM715 :

Congrats! Beautiful example!

The new power steering has held up very well. Even if you don't get a new unit, I HIGHLY suggest the metal LS2 pulley. 

With the plastic pulley, when my PS pump failed, the pulley broke off, so I lost that PLUS all my other units powered by that - I was overheated by the time I got off the road safely! I do have a leak somewhere that is either power steering fluid or oil (can't find it yet!), but that would be either worn out seals or user error in putting the PS unit back together. 

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
12/20/19 6:31 p.m.

Nice cars guys, I love Electron Blue, here's my previous '02 ZO6. Still the best sounding car I've ever owned. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
12/23/19 8:22 a.m.

In reply to rico750sxi_2 :

It sure does sound great! Makes me smile every time I get on it. Where are you in that picture, BTW? I love that style of architecture.

In Acura news, I am going crazy chasing a bass rattle in the rear deck.  I have a rattle in the rear deck when the bass is hitting. Since it's only apparent when I've got the radio on loud volume and not when the volume is low, I am ASSUMING that the speaker isn't the problem... is this a good assumption?

I have taken out the rear seats and deck, and have added anti vibration materials under and directly around the speakers. To be honest, I knew the material between the speaker and it's mounting surface would help, and it did, but the rest of the wrapping was done to get rid of extra material that I never have use for! This all helped, but has not fully amended the problem. I am about to buy that egg carton stuff and fill the holes with it, but am skeptical that this would help too much. 

If anyone has some experience with this, please let me know!

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/8/20 7:19 p.m.

The picture was taken while scouting locations for our wedding back in 2016, it's Beardsley Castle in Little Falls, NY. My car had Kooks long tube headers and a Borla cat back and sounded amazing. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
3/23/20 9:19 a.m.

No big updates for anything. Still dailying the TL until the rain goes away. 

Little upgrades on the TL - the seats were nasty/torn, and I dealt with it for awhile, until someone decided to break into my car through my driver window. The broken glass tore up the seat even more, so I bought a cover for them. Doesn't match perfectly, but it's no big deal.

Old:

New:

Took about an hour to install because the bottom cover has 10 elastic cables that needed routed to hold it in place. I took the seat out to help vacuum all the broken window glass, and for easier access. 

I then treated all the door sill rubber with shin-etsu. I gotta say, that stuff really rehabs old rubber. I now have less wind noise.

As mentioned in a previous post - the ebrakes were completely rusted so I removed them. I removed the handle as well since I already had the seats out and the center console was easy to reach. I'll fashion a little cover - probably laser cut it at work. 

The break in proves that I should rent a garage at my apartment for the corvette when I get it out of storage. Real bummer that someone caused me $250 worth of damage for a $10 gift card and some cheap headphones. That's literally all they got. Disgusting low-lives. 

neverendingprojectgarage
neverendingprojectgarage New Reader
3/28/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to rico750sxi_2 :

An EB Z06 is one of my attainable dream cars. Yours looks great! I usually prefer the stock Z06 wheels (in gunmetal or black), but yours look good. What are they?

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
3/28/20 12:21 p.m.

They are CCW 505a's, 19" all around which were powder coated gunmetal grey. The funny thing is when I traded the car in I found the new owner on the corvette forum selling the wheels for super cheap. They sold in about 15m, he had no idea what they were. He had replaced them with cheap, repo Chrome ZR1 replicas. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/13/20 7:40 a.m.

I cannot wait for the weather to get better so I can drive Bettie. She's all ready to go minus the PS leak, which I am addressing this week. Also, I can still drive her with a small leak! See - I'm already hedging my bets on working on her lol.

The Acura threw up a code, and it happened to have an easy fix!

All that involved was replacing this sensor assembly. One of the big name stores wanted almost $250 for the part. Online I found it for $60. We shall see if it is a bargain or not in the long run. 

Honda made a weird choice - they made access holes for the bolts to the assembly, but they're not big enough for any of my sockets! Below you can see one, the other is hidden behind the rubber bushing. If this was a part to go bad a lot, I would drill out the holes, but that is (hopefully) not the case.

No big deal, just another 3 minutes of assembly. 

I did a quick oil change also. It's actually the first oil change I've done in years - the Civic SI and the corvette are so low that i had to jack them up and it just wasn't worth the trouble. The Acura is high enough that everything was reachable without a jack- helps that I have long arms though.

I need 1 new wheel (or fix it- way out of balance from a pothole), and definitely need 4 new tires - they're bald, but that can all wait until next winter or fall, since I should be putting the car up soon. I'm really not trying to spend too much money on what is supposed to be my winter beater lol.

I then added one part for utility. A drawtite hitch!

Lined it up and held it up with a jack:

Drilled my holes, and siliconed every possible water leak location:

All assembled anr ready for my bike rack!

I'm debating putting a draw-tite on Bettie. I think you're the only group on Earth that would think that is cool lol. Everyone else think it's sacrilege, but honestly, I got the car to drive it, and I like mountain biking, so why not combine the two??

zordak
zordak Reader
4/13/20 9:08 a.m.

I have seen quite a few vettes with a trailer hitch.

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/13/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to zordak :

I've only seen them in pictures, and everyone seems to crap on them lol. I don't care, it's just what I've noticed!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/13/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to rustybuckets :

I have a trailer hitch on my Golf R for my bike rack.  I have a trailer hitch for my 911 sitting in a box in my basement.  That one hides behind the license plate tho, even installed nobody will know its there.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
4/13/20 6:13 p.m.

A lot of guys put hitches on their Vettes to tow their track wheels/tires to track days. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/19/20 1:42 p.m.

I can't get away from work on the Acura.

Did brakes last night. Boring and tedious, but at least the Brembos were a learning experience with a pin system instead of the normal slide hardware I'm used to.  
REALLY struggled with the caliper bolts. Lots of torque, hammer, and PB Blaster supplied but both sides look good now!

Both inboard sides of the front brakes looked like this, while the outside looked good. Gave me lots of vibration. Any idea why this happened inboard? Less air flow to clean it maybe? Seems like a stretch.

Also did some mountain bike work- cleaned it up, painted some, new brakes and cables, and ordered a used fork that may make my geometry a little better.  I'll grab pics of that soon- I'm trying  to get better at remembering to take pictures.

on a serious note- how do I change a forum title- it's clearly not just the vette anymore! 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/23/20 6:59 a.m.

Spending a lot of time in the garage lately, but also still going to work (NOT a complaint, happy to have a job in these times), so I am not getting a ton done with my projects. 

Redoing/upgrading both my mountain bike and road bike right now, which is fun. I will post up some pics when complete. 

However, finally made Bettie a fire extinguisher mount. Bolts to the passenger seat where people hardly sit lol.

Pretty damn sturdy. It limits forward travel of the seat, but anyone who has ever sat in it, whetehr it be tall guy friends or short girlsfriends always pushed the seat back as far as it would go for leg room. Interesting note - I am 6'2'' and my seat is relatively far forward. I can't drive slouched back! Anyways, I can always remove it if I don't like the location. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
5/4/20 6:50 a.m.

Got Bettie out of storage this weekend! Attempted to fix the leak problem - took the PS system apart, new hoses, tightened others down, etc. I now have to wait and see if it worked. 

I then took her on a long drive to Mohican, was treated to a gorgeous sunset, and gave her a much deserved car wash. She rode great. The new bushings eliminated some more squeaks and drive a little tighter than I remember, and otherwise she basically performed flawlessly. Got a few waves by little kids, and only  a few ricer fly-bys lol.

All-in-all quite a good day.

Edit: Still a small M*THER F*CKING PS LEAK

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
5/11/20 7:44 p.m.

Spent some significant time cleaning out the barn. Took all the old fluids to the hazmat place.  Won't let that happen again- I'll make sure I label properly and try to recycle as much as possible. Cleaned out a bunch of accumulated junk, organized tools 

now it's almost like I have room for a third car.... hmmmm... news on that front upcoming.  

Also bidding on some nice metal cabinets from work as we're doing a 5S clean out. 

In Bettie news, I fix one thing and another breaks. I was driving home and I was getting a clunk from the rear when accelerating from a stop. Sometimes thought I heard it on decel but the car is too loud. My first thought was bushings for tranny and/or diff, but the Internet has me looking at axle nuts. I will be trying the cheap fix of tightening the axle nuts first. If that works, I'll buy new axle nuts as they're torque to yield, and call it a day. If not I don't know where to go yet.  Probably bushings and more searching lol. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
5/14/20 9:02 p.m.

Cleaned the garage more. Organized, and set aside stuff that is leaving. 

All the stuff to the right- desk, grill, fridge, carpet, etc are being tossed or picked up soon by their respective owners. It's my dads garage, and he's more than generous, so he had stuff stored from friends that forgot about it. So now that it's going to be gone, there is room for another car. 

I'll plug that into the thread when I buy it and bring it back but I'm excited! I should also have 2 large shelves from work for a little more storage. 

Some good and bad news for the vette- there is still a leak, but it is definitely Power steering, and it is slow. I wasn't sure whether it was that or engine oil for awhile but my red tinted paper towels under the leak prove it's PS fluid. I'm pretty happy there, all things considered. 

Also, the clunking I heard seems to be the axle nuts- a common vette problem. One was tight, one was loose (once I bought a 33mm deep socket to test). I'll clean the rust, new hardware is on the way, and grease or loctite where necessary when I have the new nuts. 

In Acura news- I got one wheel straightened that was pretty off balance. I need new tires though. 

I also need to do transmission fluid, coolant, and an alignment. All easy, but either just annoying because I'd rather work on something else, or on the expensive side. 
Edit: also need a new windshield (spider crack), taillights don't work (brakes lights do!), and timing belt. Sheesh. 
That's why the next project is planned to stay on the way cheap side! 

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/15/20 7:08 a.m.

Another blue car would fit right in there!

I love the z06 and can sympathize with the whack a mole on problems. Hit that one, another pops up. The only hope is that eventually you've whacked all the moles hard enough that they don't come back for a while!

2 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
4MPAmA8W9d9VNfG7oqv6BzaoAo3fy7E4LuRoEzfKegxj60CBcIgL7OWdKIOVxFLF