56 57 58
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Are you on throttle when you leave the ground? I found that a quick stab going up the ramp and then throttle to the floor immediately after that set the car nicely for landings. We previously would nose dive when I would just coast over the crest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/21/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, and it helps but not enough.  You can see in the photo on liftoff the rear isn't dropping much, and the front is already off the ground but was almost certainly more compressed on the way up, so I think that's my sign to make the rear eat up a little more of the ramp.  I could also stiffen the front but I don't want to because the turn-in is so nice.

EDIT:  Thinking through the rear suspension even more, the arm and coilover angle also mean it's effectively a rising rate through the entire travel.  This may also be part of the problem, a spring/damping combo that feels right at ride height may be on the stiff side as things compress further.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 8:19 p.m.

would using a dual-rate or progressive rear spring help that, perhaps? Give you an amount of initial travel to eat up the movement but then back to high rate for when the car is on the ground? IDK if that would actually work - I only ask because our rears are stock beehives, so they're progressive and they seem to be about right with similar top rates to yours. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/12/21 9:29 a.m.

Pulled the bumper covers so I can patch them back together- they each had like 15lbs of mud inside of them!

Core support looks like it moved up a teeny bit, but all the suspension stuff didn't move so I'm going to call this a nice approach angle modification that would otherwise be illegal in L2WD instead of being bothered by it:

The holes that formerly hosted the weld nuts for the front of the skidplate will need a little help before I weld something else in there.  Considering we landed several jumps almost entirely on this part of the car, I'm still OK with how it held up:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/18/21 6:16 a.m.

Bumper repair- in the back, just some zip ties:

Up front, the lower part of the bumper cover needed a little more help so it got a piece of plastic epoxied to the back:

Then some zip ties for good measure, and I removed the one remaining turn signal grille thing and just painted the openings black instead:

Also changed out the rear springs for some 250lb/in ones.  If this doesn't make it jump better I need even more damping tweaks:

I think what I'm learning here is that, while both are perfectly decent rough surface dampers, there are some weird fundamental differences in the way the AFCOs on the rear and the Bilsteins in the front handle low vs high speed damping.  If I were to do it over, I'd probably put more effort towards using the same brand on both ends of the car.

56 57 58
Our Preferred Partners
dGvW0znUBv7XUmIOSwYLITjuXCpu5smx4ERUSbF5SAUI6XovdaS9GEG4Csie20KF