7 8 9
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/20/21 12:11 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

I've got a new cylinder head on order...

I like how you snuck that in there like we wouldn't notice. Good job getting the head removed. What a ridiculous comedy of errors that was. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/24/21 1:00 p.m.
Mezzanine said:
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

I've got a new cylinder head on order...

I like how you snuck that in there like we wouldn't notice. Good job getting the head removed. What a ridiculous comedy of errors that was. 

Ha!  Yeah, hopefully the assembly goes better than the disassembly.  I kind of have a history of not getting things 100% on the first try laugh

9/24/21 1:07 p.m.

It's driving me nuts, because i cant find a picture of it.  But that nub of a bolt that was stuck in the block came out with nothing more than a pair of pliers.  But this meme hit that nail on the head:

As of yet, the timing chain set and cyl head haven't arrived, so I've been keeping myself busy with simple stuff.  One afternoon, I had some free time so I scraped some gaskets and blew the crud out of the cyl head bolt holes in the block:

I wont accuse anyone of being able to eat off of any of those, but the surfaces should seal (Famous last words, I know...)

Easy money wink

9/24/21 1:21 p.m.

Today (Friday) I had almost a free hour so I bled the brakes (I know, I'm getting pretty damn optimistic here!)

I got about thiiiiiiiiiiis far:

Before I started pulling a butt-ton of air!

Thinking to myself "I didn't take apart the drums... where's all this air coming from???"

Does anyone in the class want to tell Bill what he forgot to do?  cheeky

Alrighty, so I hooked up the lines, filled it with RBF600 and the pedal was still squishy.

I made another round, but instead of using the pumping action of my contraption I simply hooked it up, elevated the unit, closed the bleeder finger tight, and pumped the pedal slowly with my foot.  It turns out, I didnt get all the air out of the passenger side caliper.  Feels like it should be about perfect now.

Having a bit of extra time (15 minutes, to be exact) I thought I'd go and fix something that wasn't a problem in the first place:

That right there is how you replace a coil that's been working perfectly for 30-years with one whose acronym stands for "My Spark Disappears".  The MSD unit also has the added benefit of needing extra parts (just that ballast, really) which need jumpers made to hook it all together.  Basically, I took something that was working and made it infinitely more complex AND possibly less reliable for no noticeable gain in performance.  You know what they say:

Till next time folks.  And remember, keep your stick on the ice.

9/28/21 2:15 p.m.

Well, I got my radiator back (A little over $300 for the re-core...  ouch!)

And my cylinder head arrived:

But no timing set yet...

every day since the 17th:  "Customs Delay".  I sent another e-mail today to see what's going on.  No word back yet.

Good times

9/28/21 2:15 p.m.

Been waiting on a timing set,

Been waiting all day....

I ordered it last month, but it's "Customs delay"!

I swapped out a cam shaft,

I bought a new head...

I re-cored the radiator but the engine's still dead.

Fuel, air, and spark

would suit me just fine,

but this engine is picky, and needs them in time.

10/13/21 11:10 a.m.

Sorry guys, I'm in Germany for work and away from the truck at the moment.  Two quick things that are mostly good news.  The first is that the timing set arrived to the house right before I left for the work trip.

The second is, I got my 40th birthday present from Mrs. Hungary:  My Toyota and I are entered in the 2022 Budapest to Bamako Rallye!!!!

Starting January 28th, I'll be headed out of Budapest on a 9000km jaunt across Europe and the Sahara (I think she might be trying to get rid of me!).  Normally the vehicles are sold upon arriving at the finish.  As I'm rather attached to this one, I'll be turning around at the finish line and headed back north the same way I came.

B2B Rallye Site

First things first, though.  I gotta get back to Hungary and get to work on this beast!  surprise

java230
java230 UberDork
10/13/21 11:41 a.m.

WHAT?! That is awesome!!!!!!

soooo does the AC work? cheeky

10/13/21 8:39 p.m.
java230 said:

WHAT?! That is awesome!!!!!!

soooo does the AC work? cheeky

It's got the old 2-55 AC.

2-windows, 55mph laugh 

It doesnt blow very cold, but then again it never needs recharging.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) Dork
10/14/21 4:21 p.m.

That drive would be sick!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/14/21 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Holy crap, congrats!  Cannot wait to follow your progress on the rallye, I'd love to attempt it myself some day.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) Dork
10/14/21 4:27 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

If I didn't have security clearance issues, I'd volunteer to be the co-driver. That trip is going to be EPIC. Like once in a lifetime epic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/14/21 4:43 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

Who says I'm not volunteering? wink

java230
java230 UberDork
10/14/21 9:15 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

Uhhhhh maybe I'm volunteering too? 

10/16/21 3:43 a.m.
preach (fs) said:

That drive would be sick!

I am 100% geeking out over this.  I've got dozens of browzer tabs open, powerpoints, I've even bought a paper map of north africa laugh

10/16/21 3:44 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Holy crap, congrats!  Cannot wait to follow your progress on the rallye, I'd love to attempt it myself some day.

I'm really hoping it'll be as good as a run as it sounds like.  I 100% plan to tell all about it in the "Adventures" section of the forum when I get back.

10/16/21 3:46 a.m.
preach (fs) said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

If I didn't have security clearance issues, I'd volunteer to be the co-driver. That trip is going to be EPIC. Like once in a lifetime epic!

That's a bit of an issue for me as well.  There are some new requirements I'm subject to, and I'm not 100% sure they wont interfere.  Fingers crossed, but in the end I'm 100% in the "berk it, send it" bin cheeky

10/16/21 3:48 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to preach (fs) and  Java230

If this goes well, the three of us are going on a second run.  100%

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
10/16/21 10:23 p.m.

What a roller coaster of a thread! Keep at it, you'll win!

7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
Vf57AiXD8MrfL4vZQcY1pZ11Lc2ruZfVPt0fB6XG0Tq3dxeAG0elK1PYcNPGwDit