2 3 4
captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/8/21 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Agreed. I've got some plans for the next project or three that scratch the fab/cobbling itch a bit more.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/13/21 8:49 a.m.

Back at it. I spent my weekend installing the new engine bay and dash harness. It's all connected, dash and interior bits back in, and from what I can tell things work like they should. I pulled the booster to help aid in harness removal, but this also made it a great time to swap pedal assemblies. ABS unit has been swapped as well. Felt good to get stuff checked off the list. Injectors were cleaned and flow tested locally. All checked out well, so I installed the new o-rings.

I somewhat gambled on the engine bay harness as it was from an early BRZ. The seller helped confirm certain connectors I was worried about, and everything was as it should be minus headlight connections. I knew that would be an easy-ish fix so I went for it. It really would have sucked to have another useless harness. Anyway, I needed to do some re-pinning of the headlight connectors to match up with the FRS headlights. BRZ are an 8 pin with some fancy HIDs I think, integrated turn signals, and the FRS is just a basic 6 pin plug. Luckily guys like to swap from FRS to BRZ headlights so there were pin out diagrams that helped make isolating circuits as needed. Due to the integrated signals I had to do some splicing to accommodate the FRS turn signals. It all went well, and works as it should.

Lots of organizing and cleaning again. While looking through boxes to try and ship a part, I stumbled into my old Winjet headlights. The driver side was damaged by a bad hail storm so insurance paid for a whole new set. I tossed the box in the attic and figured one day I'll find a use for them. After gazing at the design of how the lenses attached I figured it may be possible to swap lenses from the stock lights over to the Winjet housing. I heated up the rubbery glue stuff with a heat gun and managed to separate the stock lens. Looks like it should work, but I need to find out what the gooey adhesive stuff is so I can put some fresh stuff in it's place for a proper seal. I welcome any suggestions. One big positive to switching lenses is that the stock ones aren't yellowed and as cheaply made. Hopefully this makes a mediocre product better?

Not much to show in pictures but it was a productive weekend. Probably going to tint the tail lights red with some of the VHT Nite-shades stuff this week. After market tails are more than I have in the budget right now, so a cheap can of tint seems like a good alternative. Brakes need bled so I'll enlist the help of my oldest child and see if we can get that done this week. Fender trim pieces need a fresh coat of black. I've got a duckbill spoiler in the attic I may install over the BRZ one. Basically just twiddling my thumbs while I wait for the kit to ship.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/13/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

From retrofitting, I believe you are looking for Butyl Rubber Glue. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/13/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

9/13/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Sure thing!

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/20/21 7:46 a.m.

Thanks to AWSX1686 I was able to seal up the headlights with some butyl retrofit sealant. Since the lenses and housings were every so slightly different the fitment is a bit suspect. Pretty sure I got them sealed, and you can't tell they were swapped by looking at them. So I think that's a win. Forgot to snap pics though.

I also managed to red tint the tail lights. As mentioned previously I want to upgrade to aftermarket since I'm not a fan of the early 2000s Alteeza look. The Niteshades stuff from VHT is pretty spiffy as prep was minimal, dry time short, and best of all they look so much better. In fact I don't think I'll bother replacing them.

Before:

During:

After:

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
9/20/21 9:29 a.m.

The tail lights look a whole lot better. I've used the Night Shades red tint a few times. It's easy to use and it comes out nice. It tends to fade over time, though. So keep an eye on it. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/20/21 1:35 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

I've read that fade can happen. Not sure if it's easy to strip back the old and respray as I really don't want to darken it by adding any more layers. I have seen folks clear coat it, but haven't put much effort into research. I figure the car will spend most of it's time garaged so I may not see the issue crop up for quite a while.

9/21/21 8:45 a.m.

I like the red taillights. My NB miata came with similar and it just flows better. 

2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
7N7TP5GkfmBcr0lV5gW8i2HFTpTEAiBR09gadHauEcWcuW4m3sqZlUXBZeks0gWi