42 43 44
Loweguy5
Loweguy5 Dork
6/22/24 7:51 a.m.

I find this whole experience so interesting.  A bit over a year ago we bought our e-Golf (first ev for us) and truly love it.  We just added the new Lightning to the fold and it's fabulous as well.  I went from electric-skeptic to full-on adopter, nudged at first by some of your posts.

I have to admit the new Model 3 Performance has my interest.  I have the Mustang GT which I have been contemplating selling to buy a C7 or C8, but the M3P is so much performance with a little more practicality thrown in that it's definitely on the radar.

I imagine talking to 25 year old me and making the point that I could end up only owning electric vehicles (not including my wife's Wrangler, she says replacing that is a non-negotiable).  I would have thought that sounded pretty crazy for sure!  

I continue to marvel at the evolution of technology and the performance it brings.  It's no wonder that when I bought my childhood crush years ago (1986 Grand National), that it was such a major disappointment relative to newer vehicles.

Keep on posting Keith, I learn something interesting every time you do!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/22/24 8:30 a.m.
Mcivstx said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hi Keith, 

I was hopping to get some Koni Red or Yellows myself and was wondering if you could share your dampner settings on stock springs. Thanks!

-Ricky

The Special Active shocks I'm using aren't adjustable, so I have no suggestions along those lines I'm afraid.

I will admit to occasionally stopping at a convenience store to grab a drink. The EV doesn't prevent that. But it's optional :)

Mike, I'm glad this has been interesting and useful to you. I've been following along with the Golf and Lightning as well of course!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/26/24 12:19 p.m.

It's hot here. I have been abusing the "maintain HVAC" button mightily as I run errands in the Tesla. I've definitely mentioned that in the past, but I very much like it. Even if you only give the car 30s of advance warning, it does a good job of dropping the interior temp into the survivable range.

One thing that having the solar array and an EV has done is completely remove any perceived cost of driving the car. Our array overproduces, so it doesn't cost me anything to leave the AC running when I go shopping since we wouldn't be using that power anyhow (I'm ignoring the long term theoretical effects of battery degradation here because AC use is almost a rounding error compared to actually driving). Also, since I don't have to worry about an ICE not getting up to temp, I'm more comfortable doing short trips in the EV. This is almost incentivizing us to drive the car more, which is really the opposite of what we need as a society in the long term. We have offset that a bit by adding a couple of class 1 pedal assist ebikes to the fleet, which means we are more likely to take the bikes downtown to visit our favorite restaurant or go watch our nephews play soccer. But it's an odd side effect.

Janel was in Denver last weekend with her sister and ended up navigating a GMC Denali around town as her sister isn't comfortable in the big city traffic. Other than being the size of a school bus, the one thing she noticed was the lack of the side camera view when the turn indicator is on. Turns out that's something she uses all the time in the Tesla. Personally, I probably would have missed the big map display myself.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/24 12:00 p.m.

While I agree and love the idea of maintaining the temperature, I already see people idling their gasoline or diesel vehicles while they shop, as absurd as that sounds. I know that these people complain loudly about their fuel costs. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/24 12:29 p.m.

Oh yeah, lots of idling vehicles at the grocery stores here. Simply designing a parking lot to have a bit of shade would go a long way. One thing you can see in the Tesla app is the current interior temp, and it's amazing how quickly it climbs once you park a car and turn off the HVAC. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/24 3:09 p.m.

Keesler AFB installed solar panels above the parking spaces at their commissary. I'm not sure if it will pay for it's self, but the covered parking is nice.

The only problem is they left small gaps between the panels, which causes the sun shining through them to look like the parking lines. So you'll walk out back to your vehicle & it may not actually be in a parking space. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/24 3:46 p.m.

I've seen solar "roofs" for parking lots as well, I think the government building I went to in Denver for my citizenship test had them. Interesting concept - and I hadn't considered that failure mode you mention! But even something as mundane as trees would do just fine. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/24 8:54 p.m.

A local car dealership made a solar panel covered carport and allegedly it makes their electricity use neutral.

SQSpeed
SQSpeed New Reader
7/2/24 1:11 p.m.

I put Koni Reds on my car this weekend. 

First impressions: In some situations my car rides smoother than stock. Around town where the road is very wavy or rutted it rides similar to stock. It smooths out the smaller stuff that the original suspension used to transmit through. My wife drove it to work and said it's better on the interstate. Definitely firm but not as jarring as the stock suspension. Most of the head bouncing against the headrest is gone, but there's a little bit at highway speeds. The car feels planted through hard turns. It holds a line better. In a nutshell, ride is somewhat better, handling is improved. Will see how the new suspension settles in over the next couple weeks. Just goes to show you don't need expensive height adjustable coilovers to make this car right if you're not tracking it.  

I might pass by the Tesla dealer and drive one of the 2024 cars to see how their upgraded suspension compares. They're still using Mando supplied shocks, but this time with their own variant of frequency responsive valves. I've heard these do a great job of isolating the ride, but want to know how they hold up in the twisties. 

SQSpeed
SQSpeed New Reader
7/12/24 9:45 a.m.

In reply to SQSpeed :

Put a few thousand miles on these already and I have the same thoughts. The Konis overall do ride better than factory, especially on long interstate drives, but the trade off is more body motion over the large repeated bumps. Stock used to move around with lower amplitude but was harsh. Koni is slightly firmer at base level but softer when high frequency inputs loosen up the damping. The car is indeed more responsive and holds a line better. Mid corner bumps still seem to upset the car some. I'll hold my judgement until it's on proper tires.

Overall this is a good upgrade for the street. Its not quite a German sport sedan feel - the differences are subtle and it still has more of a Japanese feel to me.

I've yet to go drive a 2024 car again to compare. The Mando shocks used in those aren't quite the same technology Koni uses. I poked around on their website, and their "EV Solution" appears to use two sets of spring disks. They could have reactive compression damping as well, whereas the Koni is only active in rebound. 

42 43 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YX2M91qM1zzXW0y3gTQGmYPEIUPhV7oj58anPna0IvIa8M1OByZJGCJTZzzu6FkK