9/22/21 10:45 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/21 10:49 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/21 10:53 a.m.

TL;DR

OEM Bolt and Tesla tires suck at everything other than low rolling resistance, and true A/B rolling resistance tests are hard to come by.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/22/21 10:54 a.m.
tuna55 said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

I've been researching tires for my 2018 Mazda3, now with almost 40k miles on it (and a lifetime average of 36.8 mpg, or about 6.7 cents per mile; yes, I do like fuelly.com) and am leaning towards the Michelin CrossClimate2's. They're spendy, but they seem like the best tire in that category, plus they're made in America (by a French company, but still...) and we have a mutual friend who's an employee of said company.  I try to support companies that employ friends/ family.  Granted, the snow rating of the CC2's is more of a factor for me where I live than you, so there is that. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=06HR6CC2&tab=Sizes

Holy carp.  When I checked these a month ago they were $15 cheaper per tire! 

And that mutual friend is one of the best humans I've met, even if he's slower than me around a racetrack :)

New issue regarding tires, apparently the CC2 has a pretty big range hit which I don't understand. No real data other than forum posts. I don't have real information from new/new/new instrumented tests though.

Is the mutual friend someone on here?? My wife and I both spent time working there during college, it's actually how we met!

OE tires are designed/developed from a baseline tire to meet specific needs for the OE. So the original tire can/will have slightly different specs or compounds to meet targets, and you can bet that GMs target for Bolt tires would be as much range as possible, ie a rolling resistance spec.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/21 11:11 a.m.

Yeah he's on here. I won't out him though, not everyone wants to admit to being my friend wink

mattm
mattm Reader
9/22/21 4:10 p.m.
tuna55 said:

TL;DR

OEM Bolt and Tesla tires suck at everything other than low rolling resistance, and true A/B rolling resistance tests are hard to come by.

Look into the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II.  They are better than the stock goodyears on my Model S, quiet, and near as I can tell no range reduction in the last 30k miles of use.  They still have 6/32 of tread left as well.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/23/21 7:35 a.m.
mattm said:
tuna55 said:

TL;DR

Look into the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II.  They are better than the stock goodyears on my Model S, quiet, and near as I can tell no range reduction in the last 30k miles of use.  They still have 6/32 of tread left as well.

Thanks, they look promising, and quite inexpensive!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/21 2:55 p.m.

I wonder if any of my EV brethren have seen efficiency gains as tires wear. My efficiency is startlingly good, 4.7 mi/kWh now. 

I am heading on that errand Friday to bring a friend to Charlotte -after- the round trip to work and back. I may use a public charger just for fun, as I don't think I'll need it.

9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
i4xJfyDF8hAxyNshbm19BVIrsQuIMoXgmLozYNmXbHfjDafvnPSIup45nj7C4mQM