1 2
infernosg
infernosg Reader
6/14/21 1:59 p.m.

This thread brings back soooo many memories. I was super involved on Mazdas247 back in the day (was MSProtege when I joined). I never got into tracking my P5, but it got me hooked on Mazda and it's why I have my RX7 today. Sometimes I miss this car.

Southrnfresh_Joe
Southrnfresh_Joe New Reader
6/14/21 6:37 p.m.

In reply to infernosg :

Man i saw a photo of your car through a google search here and it motivated me to make the post.  And yea I've been on the forum since before Mazda forced them to change the name .. lol.  And this is my 5th BJ, they are definitely addictive..

infernosg
infernosg Reader
6/15/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Southrnfresh_Joe :

Thanks! It's been over 12 years since I sold it and I regret it every time I think about it. It'd be a fun, unique little DD these days. It had the full Mazdaspeed swap with just about every available bolt on. The next step was building the engine and going with a full standalone ECU and I just didn't want to take that leap. There was a nationally-competitive Protege in TTD/E for a while. I knew the driver and he sold the car back in 2012, I think. I wonder what happened to it.

I feel like we had to have crossed paths on Mazdas247 back in the day. Even after getting my RX7 I stayed involved for years despite the forums becoming more focused on the new 'Speed models and the CX5.

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
6/15/21 12:10 p.m.

Incredible thread. Very well done. I love your attention to detail both in the build and it's documentation. I'm definitely going to be following along for future updates. 

Southrnfresh_Joe
6/21/21 11:25 p.m.

I have been wanting to install the Mazdaspeed Protege Racing beat front sway bar on the P5.  This requires you to either remove or lower the subframe.  

Bushing are original from 2002, so they were not doing much...

I had gotten a low mileage subframe from Mazmart about a year ago, so swapping it out was made sense at the time.  

Bushings were still fresh, but no reason not to upgrade while there were accessible.  So I went with some 25mm Energy suspension bushings.

Cleaned up and ready to go back in...

These are the subframe and control arm bolts.  These bolts were in pretty rough condition, no way I could put these back in.

I had to wait a few days to get them from Mazda, but the piece of mind was worth the $40 in bolts..

Bolts in...

Subframe tucked back in..

I have also had this Corksport shifter bushing for a long time... but never installed it.  Probably because its kind of annoying to get the old one out.  The only way to remove it seems to be to trim the edges and press it out, simple process just annoying..  

While the car was down, I wanted to get the header wrap off the car, and have it properly cerakoted.  The header is a cheap no name brand, but it has held together and gotten the job done.  2 years ago Icoated it with some sort of heat paint, and wrapped it.  I am surprised it hasnt rusted through.  

Once again my good friend assisted me with stripping the header in the sand blaster, and cerakoting it..

Once cured, it looked much better, and that crusty wrap was gone...

The heat dramatically decreased from before.  The header was not cool enough to touch, but the heat wasn't overwhelming in the engine bay.  And it looked a million times better..

I hadnt gotten the VTCS to work properly on the FSZE intake manifold so while the intake manifold was out to access the rear engine mount bolts.  I removed the VTCS and plugged the holes.  Typically its good to have it in for lower end torque.. but not working it was better to just remove it rather then have the restriction.. 

Late Subday afternoon after having the header done, I could not resist with putting a little coat of paint on the manifold while it was apart.. 

Much nicer...

Also while everything was out the way, I took some time to clean up some wiring from the jdm harness.  I this point I had removed emissions and only had 3 sensors going to the intake mainfold and the rest were crank sensor, coil packs, temps sensor, o2 sensor and a few grounds.  So i wanted to simplify things..

wrapped the harness in Tessa tape ..

Everything back in.  Im working on the coil on plug conversion, and converting the power steering lines to AN fittings just because it looks way nicer..

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/23/21 8:41 p.m.

Loooooove these cars! Yours looks great. Lots of the pics from the dump don’t show up for me, but what I do see I really like. Thanks for posting. 

Southrnfresh_Joe
6/28/21 9:11 p.m.

I’ll get to the crash later...

I have been wanting to install the Mazdaspeed Protege Racing beat front sway bar on the P5.  This requires you to either remove or lower the subframe.

Bushing are original from 2002, so they were not doing much...

I had gotten a low mileage subframe from Mazmart about a year ago, so swapping it out was made sense at the time.

Bushings were still fresh, but no reason not to upgrade while there were accessible.  So I went with some 25mm Energy suspension bushings.

Cleaned up and ready to go back in...

These are the subframe and control arm bolts.  These bolts were in pretty rough condition, no way I could put these back in.

I had to wait a few days to get them from Mazda, but the piece of mind was worth the $40 in bolts…

Bolts in...

Subframe tucked back in..

I have also had this Corksport shifter bushing for a long time... but never installed it.  Probably because its kind of annoying to get the old one out.  The only way to remove it seems to be to trim the edges and press it out, simple process just annoying..

While the car was down, I wanted to get the header wrap off the car, and have it properly cerakoted.  The header is a cheap no name brand, but it has held together and gotten the job done.  2 years ago Icoated it with some sort of heat paint, and wrapped it.  I am surprised it hasnt rusted through.

Once again my good friend assisted me with stripping the header in the sand blaster, and cerakoting it..

Once cured, it looked much better, and that crusty wrap was gone...

The heat dramatically decreased from before.  The header was not cool enough to touch, but the heat wasn't overwhelming in the engine bay.  And it looked a million times better..

I hadnt gotten the VTCS to work properly on the FSZE intake manifold so while the intake manifold was out to access the rear engine mount bolts.  I removed the VTCS and plugged the holes.  Typically its good to have it in for lower end torque.. but not working it was better to just remove it rather then have the restriction..

Late Subday afternoon after having the header done, I could not resist with putting a little coat of paint on the manifold while it was apart..

Much nicer...

Also while everything was out the way, I took some time to clean up some wiring from the jdm harness.  I this point I had removed emissions and only had 3 sensors going to the intake mainfold and the rest were crank sensor, coil packs, temps sensor, o2 sensor and a few grounds.  So i wanted to simplify things..

Wrapped the harness in Tessa tape ..

Everything back in.  Im working on the coil on plug conversion, and converting the power steering lines to AN fittings just because it looks way nicer..

Southrnfresh_Joe
6/28/21 9:11 p.m.

[MEDIA=youtube]NqgJWDzA0NA[/MEDIA]

So back out at Road Atlanta, my biggest fear with Road Atlanta is the sway bars making the rear too stiff, and the car being sketchy at high speeds during turn-in.  Which is why I had to upgrade the front sway bar to match the rear.  My first session the car was super neutral and it didnt too much of anything unless I wanted it to.  I experimented with Turn 1 by braking early and downshifting and powering up the hill.  It worked, but coming down the front straight and braking hard I felt like I was losing so much speed to prepare just to accelerate up the hill. And if I waited to late I can feel the rear get a little light.  So I started to hold 4th at a slightly higher speed and turn in early, and push out to the outer apex.  It gave the car much more speed up the hill, but I had a small window to hit it right before it pushed me out too far.  But the car felt much more stable. I did manage to get a new personal best of 1:54.1 early in the day.  

I am sure I would have gotten it down more later, but after lunch I lost my power steering belt , and it was a workout on a some of the longer turns.  So before it started to rain I never got a chance to get any good laps in..

Speaking of rain...around 2pm it started to rain pretty steady.  Usually I dont have much trouble in the rain, and it allows me to keep up with some of the faster cars.  And its a bit fun as long as I am careful.  Well I had been out for about 3 laps.  And decided to take one more lap.  And I came around turn 3 and lost traction in the rear and the car spun around, and pancaked the tire wall.  By the time I hit the wall I could not have been going but 10-15mph at the most.  I was uninjured, and the car drove the same, but was a bit bruised as you can see...

The car drove back home fine, and did not feel out of the ordinary.. I can maybe salvage the front bumper, but the side loops that held it up did break.. so that maybe an issue.

Did not realize that I was missing my side skirt until I got home.  But the doors are dented pretty bad.  Glass held up..

The worst part is the rear quarter panel, which can not be bolted on and off.  Once the other panels are replaced I may see how much of it can be pulled and or repaired..just so its not as ugly.  

With every big milestone, I like to take nice photos with the camera as a memory of the journey.  I cant lie it sucks to see the car get damaged.  But I am glad its still able to keep going.  Next stop is Barber Motorsports park in August, lets see how much I can get repaired by then...

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
6/28/21 9:45 p.m.

This thread rules. I hate seeing those last images, but look forward to what comes next with this car!

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
6/28/21 10:17 p.m.

Nice.  I almost ended up with a Protege 5 but a friend of mine convinced me to pick up an xB instead (he was working for Scion at the time).  

I did make up for it when I bought a 2009 MS3.  Such a fun car.

Great thread so far!

Southrnfresh_Joe
7/13/21 1:42 a.m.

Time to see the extent of the damage...

The positive part of all this is that there didnt seem to look like there was any damage hidden behind the dented panels.  My wheels are a little scrapped and damaged, but nothing structural. 

I was worried about by the headlight socket being damaged and it never fitting properly again, but visually I didnt notice anything major.  

Good news is that the new taillight fits in its place still... which is a good sign.  

Fender and bumper removed...

There was a slight crease here were the intake pipe goes through.  I managed to straighten it out with a few taps of a mallet.  It also pushed the side headlight mount back in its place as well...

Here is a photo of the side headlight mount that was pushed in slightly.  

I had a headlight shell to test fit in its place to see how much it was pushed in.  You can see its off by about 2 inches..

Took some pliers and maneuvered it back in place, so the bolt should fill in the gap..

I went ahead and started to remove the doors to get practice for having to remove doors at the pull a part..

The car doesnt have a radio and or power windows anymore.  So i just had the wires zip tied in the door, but I found out that the door wiring has a quick release at the body panel.  So it made that much easier..

Door off, glass , handle regulator all removed...

My floor in the garage was full of gravel and dirty so I put the P5 outside so I can clean up.  

Southrnfresh_Joe
7/19/21 11:02 p.m.

I had found 2 P5s at a local Pull A Part, but they were marked black.  I had planned on getting those body panels from those cars and just having a mismatched car for awhile.  But I checked another yard that had a P5 listed, but no color.  I decided to check it first to see the condition and or if it was silver.  I was pleased to see it was silver, and all the panels I needed were still in perfect condition..

Its pretty simple to get the doors and fender off, but I did need to gut the door internals so I would not be charged for things I did not need..

Made out like a bandit..

What was left...

Since I gutted the doors, everything was only $139 out the door.  The fender itself was the most expensive part.  

The only thing I will need to do is remove the side molding later..

Upon further inspection it looked like the fender was replaced and the car was repainted at one point.  There was runs of clear on the inside of the door, and the fender was black on the inside, compared to my old one.

Fit like a glove... almost like it never happened.  

Extremely pleased and thankful that the damage was not worse.  The panels went back on and lined up perfectly.  The only sign of damage is to the rear quarter..

Still a little bruise on the bumper...

Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this...

Now, ill see what I can do with this damage to the quarter..

The car is gutted so I can access the dent on the back side.  I took a rubber mallet, and used it as a tool to push the crease out..

A few taps, and it was much better.  I am going to try to get some proper dent tools and see what I can do to the damage instead of just beating on it with a mallet .

Nomad
Nomad Reader
7/22/21 3:50 p.m.

Loved my P5. Nothing needed but oil changes and I added factory leather and MP3 racing beat exhaust, wheels, stereo, etc. 

Smaller than the new family needed but I really liked it. Went with the Mazda 3 GT when it came out and loved it too. Bullteproof and did it all.

Now I'm$4k into repairs on a Jeep Wrangler an thinking a 5 speed Mazda will be perfect for my son as he gets to learning permit age.

madmax98
madmax98 New Reader
9/21/21 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Southrnfresh_Joe :

Great work brother. 

Been reading your thread, great job persevering.

Question: Where's your harness bolted? It looked like it's bolted to the floor. If so, I highly advise against it. The belt mounting point needs to be at or higher than shoulder level for your protection... In the case of an incident (God forbids), the belts would compress your spine. Not good. Harness bar is necessary. You might even be able to mount the harness to the rear deck area safely.

Also,  the scoop in front of the wheel is faced towards the wheel. The reason is it provides a stream of air acting as a curtain around the wheel, thus minimizing disturbance in the area (sorta).  By reversing direction, you essentially ramming air into the wheel wells, which is not what you want. You want to evacuate air from the wheelwells.

Keep up the good work.

madmax98
madmax98 New Reader
9/21/21 9:44 a.m.

Also, sorry abou the wreck... I know it's gut wrenching..

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
VTSz8PuCMHB2B8qCaO19qTr25XP2V6UvCQPSanohnf4vwoHVsAfHN2XpIS1auaoM