1 2 3 4
759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
12/15/20 1:41 p.m.

Why do I get bad thoughts when I look at my dear deceased father's P1800  having seen this ?

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/15/20 8:14 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

is this another $2000 challenge build?  EDIT: LOL nevermind I just read the first post again.

how much does pulling the previous SBC free up in the budget?

A lot.....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 8:30 p.m.
wheels777 said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

is this another $2000 challenge build?  EDIT: LOL nevermind I just read the first post again.

how much does pulling the previous SBC free up in the budget?

A lot.....

I'm gonna poke fun at you for a sec here, because I don't remember you ever having "a lot" of money in any challenge SBC. laugh

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
12/15/20 8:59 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I have a feeling "a lot" is relative.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/16/20 2:55 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I have a feeling "a lot" is relative.

Correct.  $20 is 1% of the budget.  The swap from SBC to LL8 is a 10% swing.  Thats "a lot". 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/16/20 7:19 a.m.

When did you guys get a lift? With the amount of time you have engines in and out it's probably a lot safer. 

I think I need to drop my car off at the inline6 swap depot. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/16/20 7:55 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

When did you guys get a lift? With the amount of time you have engines in and out it's probably a lot safer. 

I think I need to drop my car off at the inline6 swap depot. 

New for 2020.  Stop by.  We have a heated floor too.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 9:16 a.m.

I second that the new shop looks terrific.  Nice work.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/16/20 10:55 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

I second that the new shop looks terrific.  Nice work.

Its our 100 year old corn crib barn.  We knocked out the old foundation, the first and second floors and rebuilt it from the inside out. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
12/16/20 4:48 p.m.

So what really is your day time job......growing grain?

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/16/20 9:04 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

So what really is your day time job......growing grain?

Been building race cars for 41+ years.  Farm hand, laborer, truck driver, mechanic, Technician in a Nuke plant.  Engineer by schooling, promoted up through the ranks to be the Northeast Region Technical Staff Manager for a Piping company..  After 33 years there I retired in June.  Today Calvin, Paula and I have started a performance shop in the refurbished barn.  Cameron helps out and continues to work on the videos.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/17/20 5:46 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Congratulations on your retirement! Or maybe career change into full-time motorsports is more accurate :-)

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/17/20 6:25 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Congratulations on your retirement! Or maybe career change into full-time motorsports is more accurate :-)

Thank you.  It was bitter sweet.  Covid forced the business to reduce staff and made the retirement option possible.  I had been planning to do what we are doing 3-1/2 years from now.  But, Proverbs 16:9 is our guiding truth.  I am super excited about the work that is starting to line up. 

On a side note, not only have we started the business, we also finished rebuilding a 132 year old house that Calvin moved into this year...and when I say rebuilt....it was gutted to the studs, chimney demolition, foundation repair, wiring, plumbing, flooring, trimming, painting were completed... and the garage there is close to being completed.  Calvin is taking full advantage of the space to chase his goals and they are going to show up in some of next years videos.  Working on our cars has become a rare treat.... but I am confident we will get to them as we have less barn and house related work required in the future. Organizing the place is high on the priority list and by May we should be rocking and rolling like a machine.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/17/20 7:32 a.m.

That's really great.  Congrats on the retirement and career reboot.  I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Back to the cars, I find it interesting to see you all switching to the inline 6 motors away from the LS and other V8 platforms.  Are you finding the lower power to be more than made up for by the weight difference?  Maybe not too much power loss?  Better availability?

What about transmissions?  Are the choices there easier/harder to find?

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
12/17/20 8:25 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

*snip*

Back to the cars, I find it interesting to see you all switching to the inline 6 motors away from the LS and other V8 platforms.  Are you finding the lower power to be more than made up for by the weight difference?  Maybe not too much power loss?  Better availability?

What about transmissions?  Are the choices there easier/harder to find?

Or is it just time for something different...

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/17/20 8:57 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

That's really great.  Congrats on the retirement and career reboot.  I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Back to the cars, I find it interesting to see you all switching to the inline 6 motors away from the LS and other V8 platforms.  Are you finding the lower power to be more than made up for by the weight difference?  Maybe not too much power loss?  Better availability?

What about transmissions?  Are the choices there easier/harder to find?

I can speak for me and let Calvin share his thoughts.  I love the fact that the boys are excited and passionate about something.  Calvin loves inline 6s and Cameron loves the video production.  If Calvin wanted to do a 4 cylinder I would get into it.  When I was young I had the passions and energy to do ground breaking work.  But I had no support other then my Mom helping me  and my Grandmother's love and passionate encouragement to stay the course.  My first garage was a 16x17 shed.  24 race wins and multiple track championship winning engines were generated there. Hard to believe 4 nine second cars came from that little shed.

But I am committed to seeing where the boys can get.  When Calvin said LS, I bought an LS.  Calvin works hard to support all the work around here...there's no free ride here..  When he looked at inlines we bought inlines.  Funny how I was so into inline 40 years ago I have some background I have been able to share. The first ever and only LS4 FWD car was born from a "let's do this challenge".  I'll get back to what I want when the timing is right.

The use of the 4200 is a neat adventure.  First SBE to go 10s (FWIW you witnessed that at the 2019 Challenge) and the first SBE 9 (what would have been out 2020 car).  

My personal preference is BBC.  I posted on the forum when I bought a $100 454.  It will be visible someday as a challenge monster.  But we have other itches to scratch first.

Further discussion on the engine choice.  The NOS powered SBC and/or a BBC engines need way more transmission.  A LS and 4200 that make low torque but can carry it at high rpms (read HP) make a good choice for the challenge as a TH400 work with minimal added cost.  And the LS and the 4200s are cheap and light.  We are giving up some 60 foot but getting a lot of mph.  Its a lot of fun doing it that way.  Alot less part breakage. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/18/20 1:32 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I'm really excited for the opportunities that are in front of you... congratulations!!

Nelson Family Speed Shop. That is Fantastic! Good on ya!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/18/20 1:52 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

I'm really excited for the opportunities that are in front of you... congratulations!!

Thank you Paul.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/18/20 1:53 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

Nelson Family Speed Shop. That is Fantastic! Good on ya!

PACC Performance, LLC

 

And Thank You

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
12/18/20 3:37 p.m.

Now, will people register at you company wed site, then get to ask two free questions with the understanding that they will get a bill for all additional information?

If you are building a business that your sons can work from and grow, you know the years of getting a car to run in the 9's is worth something. 

I am not a Doctor, but I understand how they get asked lots of questions, my wife is an RN and it happens.

 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
12/18/20 5:08 p.m.
wheels777 said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Congratulations on your retirement! Or maybe career change into full-time motorsports is more accurate :-)

Thank you.  It was bitter sweet.  Covid forced the business to reduce staff and made the retirement option possible.  I had been planning to do what we are doing 3-1/2 years from now.  But, Proverbs 16:9 is our guiding truth.  I am super excited about the work that is starting to line up. 

On a side note, not only have we started the business, we also finished rebuilding a 132 year old house that Calvin moved into this year...and when I say rebuilt....it was gutted to the studs, chimney demolition, foundation repair, wiring, plumbing, flooring, trimming, painting were completed... and the garage there is close to being completed.  Calvin is taking full advantage of the space to chase his goals and they are going to show up in some of next years videos.  Working on our cars has become a rare treat.... but I am confident we will get to them as we have less barn and house related work required in the future. Organizing the place is high on the priority list and by May we should be rocking and rolling like a machine.

Will Calvin's grosh be equipped with said two arm lift also??  Oh and congrats on all this gearhedd nonsense!!!!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
12/18/20 8:03 p.m.
wheels777 said:
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

Nelson Family Speed Shop. That is Fantastic! Good on ya!

PACC Performance, LLC

 

And Thank You

Let us know when the merch is available!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/19/20 8:13 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
wheels777 said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Congratulations on your retirement! Or maybe career change into full-time motorsports is more accurate :-)

Thank you.  It was bitter sweet.  Covid forced the business to reduce staff and made the retirement option possible.  I had been planning to do what we are doing 3-1/2 years from now.  But, Proverbs 16:9 is our guiding truth.  I am super excited about the work that is starting to line up. 

On a side note, not only have we started the business, we also finished rebuilding a 132 year old house that Calvin moved into this year...and when I say rebuilt....it was gutted to the studs, chimney demolition, foundation repair, wiring, plumbing, flooring, trimming, painting were completed... and the garage there is close to being completed.  Calvin is taking full advantage of the space to chase his goals and they are going to show up in some of next years videos.  Working on our cars has become a rare treat.... but I am confident we will get to them as we have less barn and house related work required in the future. Organizing the place is high on the priority list and by May we should be rocking and rolling like a machine.

Will Calvin's grosh be equipped with said two arm lift also??  Oh and congrats on all this gearhedd nonsense!!!!

I dont think it will have a lift installed as it is small and the legs would seriously impede the work area. It lends itself to assembly work and wiring, but not major projects. It is way nicer and bigger than anything I had years ago, but taking turns in the main garage is far more sensible.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/19/20 8:14 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:
wheels777 said:
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

Nelson Family Speed Shop. That is Fantastic! Good on ya!

PACC Performance, LLC

 

And Thank You

Let us know when the merch is available!

Calvin is working on logos and will be involved in the merch...

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
IiGygsTr8P9pCCILUfnoQZ04JSNtCzoCOuRFoyiltNywxcbvcAGOKPTl4cg5924f