1 2 3
moxnix
moxnix Dork
5/5/22 5:46 p.m.
ojannen said:

Is anyone from the east coast regions going to the Sediv regional event in Huntsville in June?

Thinking about it but have not decided.  With it being a SEDIV event instead of a national tour it makes me a little less likely to go. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/28/22 9:03 a.m.

Here is an update from the last few months

The sketchy rallycrosses put on by The FIRM have been a lot of fun.  I think they are about 75% of the way to a rally sprint depending on the course.  I want a roll cage and a hundred more horsepower for those courses.  There is about a rollover per event, not counting side by sides.  They seem to be leaning heavily on the nitro rallycross course.  We are all curious if they quit going through the tress for insurance reasons or something else.  The half tarmac, half clay courses make tire choices tough.  You can destroy a set of rally tires in an event.  I ended up buying a used set of autocross tires and they worked ok.

I just got back from the Sediv event in Huntsville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoAQwJ_--E. I love that site.  We stayed in huntsville a few extra days and enjoyed visiting the area.  

I am still impressed with drivers who can be quick out of the box on a new surface.  My codriver and I spent the whole first session underdriving and pushing the car in corners.  We had new tires for the first time in two and a half years and the clay was pretty sticky stuff.  I was full throttle mid sweeper instead of having to modulate or stay off.

I didn't drive well.  Too many cones early on while learning the surface.  Then I decided to push and see what kind of raw times were achievable.  That did not improve overall times once the cones were factored in.  I think with some practice, I could get within spitting distance of everyone except for Leon.  I am not sure how to compete with something that is 1000lbs less, 100 more hp, and mid engined.

In the video, you can hear my transmission eating itself.  I thought I had worn out another driveshaft (yay bmw) but didn't find any play.  I took it to my mechanic and they found the noise was coming from inside the transmission.  They recommended running until it died and bringing a trailer everywhere.  I am not sure what I am going to do once it dies.

In the meantime, I bought another Z3 Coupe.  I owned one a decade ago and sold it a little too early when my life changed.  This one popped up for a good price as an ex-track car.

I was planning on using it for track and autocross days but the first thing that came up was a rallycross at The FIRM.  It looks and sounds epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC0nqzr-6vg 

It is also tough to drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2tE0BbIao. It really wants mid corner gas to keep the back end in line.  That took me a couple runs to figure out.  I put rally tires on the rear for the second event and it went a lot better.  I still have some learning to do as I am about 1.5 seconds back per 60 second run against my regular competition.  Front tires will help if I can find soe that fit over the brakes.  Mostly I need to get ahead of the car so I am predicting the handling instead of reacting to it.

I am not happy with the diff.  It goes from two wheel to one wheel drive once you spin a tire and it is hard to predict when that will happen.  It hooks in the opposite direction of the spinning tire almost randomly.  You can see it in some of these pictures. 

My extremely photogenic Indian friend came out to his first event and rode in the car.  I think he is hooked.

I am not sure where to go next.  

I bought a mid engined car to run in modified last fall but I think it is going to end up in the space between modified and constructors classes once the new rules are in place.  To run in modified, I will need to start my own stage rally series (Totally Real Rally Association, coming soon to the Firm) so I can use the logbook loophole in the rules.  To be 100% legal in constructors, I will need to recage and reskin the car to meet metal thickness rules. 

Prepared rear is dead in the southeast.  I have the only prepped car.  I got tired of winning a few years ago and just run in modified so there are other similarly prepped cars.  There are fast drivers in the DC, Ohio, and Michigan regions but they are more than a days tow away.  A taste of torque from the Z3 has me wondering if I should swap to a 6 cylinder instead of just replacing the transmission when it goes.  If The FIRM keeps running the rally sprints, maybe I will add a cage and move towards stage rally.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
6/28/22 9:17 a.m.

Lol!  "Thumbs up" photo is great!

ojannen
ojannen Reader
7/13/22 9:14 p.m.

I took the Z3 to a rallycross at The FIRM this weekend.

https://youtu.be/-q5QWGOz_y4

The wet clay was difficult to deal with.  I think flicking the car in and using more patience before getting on the throttle was key.  Normally I can change the slip angle with the throttle but it was slick enough that I just added to the understeer.  The mud on the tires made the next braking zone extra interesting.

I cracked the bumper pretty badly on the rough bit just before the jump in the video.  I zip tied it back together but decided to call it after the morning runs were complete.  With no underbody protection and no trailer, I had pushed my luck far enough.  I sadly missed the mudfest in the afternoon.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
7/14/22 7:18 a.m.

Long live the shoe, love those cars

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/14/22 8:01 a.m.

Your TI looks sooo good crossed up with those meaty fronts. And a clowshoe! You have great taste in E36s

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
6P3AXZB1gykd6dxwqU415MHI1Nx6KgBeYxYpjUxDEa1pCwRuSRoHBro44kwSQMcq