8 9 10
slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/21/21 11:52 a.m.

9/20/21

I swapped the Step-up piston springs for the metering rods in the Edelbrock 500 Carb from 4" hg to 3"hg - It really needs 3.5"hg Springs but I don't think Edelbrock makes such a part, or a metering rods with 3 stepped areas - I dont think those are available any more either.

With these springs it's a bit too lean at moments on the throttle, but does not get into the 12's / 11's AFR in 4th / 5th gear on the highway when pulling a small to moderate grade. With the 4" hg springs it was wasting fuel in this area... Carbs can only do so much with their notchy tuning abilities I guess. For my next trip to a 24 Hours of Lemons Race in Kentucky, I will set it up for good MPG's instead of all out throttle mashing fun.

I also Was invited to the season wrap up meeting for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix organizers..
It was on the North end of Pittsburgh, about ~ 40 from me.
Parking was for "fun cars" and boring cars.  I parked with the fun cars.  Was a fun trip and got to meet a bunch of new car guys and gals that help to put the 10 days of racing and charity events together. Also found more wonderfully curvy roads / hill climbs around the Pittsburgh area. -

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/24/21 6:16 a.m.

9/24/21

Will Be taking Grüne Hölle on a ~1000 mile round trip to the 24 hours of lemons race in Bowling Green KY at NCM Motorsports park.

Should be a blast - I am on the crew with some other like minded slant 6 racers.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/24/21 10:18 a.m.

I wonder if it's possible to machine an extra step on a metering rod with a micro-lathe?

Of course, realizing I was about to go even further down that rabbit hole (I wanted a metering rod that could move in with vacuum and out under boost) was what led to my going EFI... devil

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
9/24/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

It is. I've customized many Q-Jet metering rods on the lathe before.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/28/21 10:19 a.m.
asphalt_gundam said:

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

It is. I've customized many Q-Jet metering rods on the lathe before.

I need to do that .. or Megasquirt... we'll see how long the carb lives on the manifold...

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/28/21 10:19 a.m.

9/28/21

I had another fun weekend driving the Grüne Hölle Dart over 1000 Miles round trip. It went off with out any problems - I could not even detect that it needed any oil after ~500 Miles of driving - (haven't checked it since returning home)

My route took me on all interstates to get there. - About 500 Miles in 8 or so hours each way.  The car sang along at 2800 RPM netting 84 MPH with the 3.91 Gears out back. I did not know about the Cincinnati Bypass and Got stuck in terrible Rush Hour Traffic whilst trying to navigate south on I75.

After making it through the urban centers and construction zones with accidents, I ended in Bowling Green KY; NCM Motorsports Park =to crew with the the [b][u]Off Kilter Racing Team [/u][/b]- We are like minded Slant 6 Junkies that campaign a 1962 Valiant in the 24 hours of Lemons Series named Toad Racer.

Got an early start on Friday at the work campus - Love the clear morning walks at sunrise.

Paddock buddies:

Carb Tuning:

It might Not Look Like Much Be we turned the fastest laps in C class  - Faster than the Class Winner, "Duff Beer"

Started out Racing in the Rain:

Wore out some Tires..

Found some corvettes..

Sunday Paddock:

Took a bit less interstates on the way back home:

'till next time,
Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
10/26/21 1:32 p.m.

Here is an action Shot from the Summer PVGP Countryside Tour back in July 2021:

I was a group leader and the White Porsche was bringing up the rear.. Fun times!

Greg

8 9 10
Our Preferred Partners
gg7xXDPbz3JD7Z04PpkIjXQrutEMXSNoFet5tlDy0BufHKuALXZKGFGvZIijhBVN