3 4 5 6
Mykk
Mykk New Reader
8/15/19 7:09 p.m.
GoLucky said:

What is the layout tape called? That looks like a good way to do the measuring. 

Trulers

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
8/15/19 7:09 p.m.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
8/15/19 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Mykk :

Thanks. And great job, this thing looks amazing 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/19 7:46 p.m.

This thing is berkeleyING AWESOME!!!!!

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
10/27/19 11:26 a.m.

I was talked into, and thought it would be a good idea to re-flow the original flux core wire welds with a TIG. Also adding gussets, supports, bracing and tabs to bolt stuff to. The motor mounts also were moved 1.5" forward. My first experience TIG welding, with some help from a friend (pictured below). TIG > MIG.

Painted the frame in a Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Paint HWP102 and HWP103 Clearcoat:

Added a racing number decal and flat cleared over it:

Swapped out the tractor seats for a set of boat seats:

With the newly added colors I felt the racing stripe needed something extra too:

Mounted the universal Ez-wire 12 circuit fuse block & harness. Routed the chassis, lighting, starting, charging, & fuel pump wiring. Mounted the ignition box and EFI controller. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/27/19 11:40 a.m.

surprise looks fan-tastic!

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
11/29/19 7:38 p.m.

The winter Cold, Rain & Snow have officially crept in for the year. Thus motivation and progress have slowed. I had a personal goal to have the project at least running by the end of 2019. I missed that goal, but won't stress about it. Instead I'll just keep plugging along.

I figure if I tackle a series of small projects over the winter it'll amount to progress towards to goal of a running & driving vehicle.

Small project: Modifying an aftermarket 90's Mustang style 75mm throttlebody to bolt down to the jaguar supercharger inlet.

I was lucky to find a velocity stack adapter in the inlet size I needed that also fits in the carburetor scoop.

Not sure what to do for an air cleaner yet, I'm thinking of hitting up the local thift stores and try to find a kitchen mesh strainer that I can modify to sit between the velocity stack and carb scoop.

One final small project for the evening: Mounting the boat seats on the original tractor seats bases to give them a lift and tilt back.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
12/25/19 9:15 p.m.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/26/19 4:49 p.m.

That looks terrifying. And incredibly cool. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
1/3/20 11:36 a.m.

Love the twisted wires coming off the terminal block.  Is there a method to that madness, or were you just going for "cool looking"?

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
1/16/20 5:54 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Love the twisted wires coming off the terminal block.  Is there a method to that madness, or were you just going for "cool looking"?

I wanted to twisted pair as many of the circuits as possible, gives the wiring some electromagnetic shielding without actually being ground shielded. It also gives the wiring some strength and shapable sturdyness, it does also look cool and lends to that open and exposed mechanicals thing I'm going for. I did try to twist together related wiring to themselves.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/16/20 9:29 p.m.

Hey. Just found and read this build... although I agree with the "...nice ceiling paint" comparison! I've been attempting to weld off and on for most of my life, and your beginner welds look better. Nice work, nice vision, nice "dare to be different" attitude, and nice wiring. Great looking job with the twisted pairs. Now need to add some lockwiring on some bolts to continue the "twisted pair" theme. 

I surprised myself when I didn't like the after paint pictures... although great work with the red stripes. Then you added the pinstripe border, and I went "THAT's what was missing." GREAT little detail. Absolutely love it.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
2/13/20 7:46 p.m.

Still wrenching along, mocking up bits to see what needs to go and fit where to work good and look good. Need to come up with a better mounting angle for the rear radius arms.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/13/20 10:16 p.m.

Thanks for the pictures to drool over. You may have mentioned earlier, but what are those headers  from? Looking good. 

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
2/14/20 8:53 a.m.
03Panther said:

Thanks for the pictures to drool over. You may have mentioned earlier, but what are those headers  from? Looking good. 

New generation Coyote 5.0 Mustang. EBay cheapies, they will discolor not long after fire up. But I don't mind the worn in look.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
3/1/20 5:18 p.m.

Moving shop, new rental location. Hopefully the final move.

The first project in the new space, windhsield posts. They are long, and rough cast. But will get cut down once the plexi arrives.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
6/13/20 9:16 p.m.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
6/15/20 10:31 a.m.

I'm drooling over the pics too, but have to admit I'm more excited to see a video of it jamming the wheelie bars into a 1/4 mile track

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
7/5/20 7:14 p.m.

This weekends project, it finally made some noise:

https://youtu.be/bv2v7qUwN60

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
7/5/20 8:52 p.m.
Mykk said:
TVR Scott said:

I wanted to twisted pair as many of the circuits as possible, gives the wiring some electromagnetic shielding without actually being ground shielded. It also gives the wiring some strength and shapable sturdyness, it does also look cool and lends to that open and exposed mechanicals thing I'm going for. I did try to twist together related wiring to themselves.

Cool idea ........But......How do you keep the wires "twisted"   I understand how you can do it with single strand wire , but regular automotive wire does not seem to keep a shape ......

Thanks for the info

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
7/6/20 12:44 a.m.

You can also Weave it.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
8/16/20 10:59 a.m.

Shortened them wheelie bars:

Found some fluid leaks:

Now to begin the process of tuning:

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
8/16/20 11:20 a.m.

It's alive!!!! Awesome!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/16/20 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Mykk :

I need to find a shop to rent like that!

Its proving impossible for me.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/16/20 3:10 p.m.

Bonertown just got a little more crowded

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xy5pyCPtpw4sEvUyPkQVqozpKiwh76Vv6jozQhw3MZNH1yJmG45qAJcmbZnQarY0