2 3 4 5 6
tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/21/22 10:55 a.m.

1 week update, still no coolant leak. Fixed. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/23/22 1:06 p.m.

New page, better post some old pictures. Like I said, I work remotely, when I am home I do work on the cars when I am gone, not a lot happens and it will be pretty slow.

Never really mentioned this unit, but it made some posts. I also have is 2004 Honda Rincon that I use for outdoor stuff like hunting, fishing, trapping etc. 
Was a real pile of crap when I got it, and I had to go through basically the whole thing. Fixed the plastic, replaced all the wheel bearings, brakes, instrument screen, pull start, ignition system, carby, blah blah. Not a bolt in this thing I haven't touched at one point or another. 


Also build this little saw holder out of scraps



PSA: buy a set of these

PSA: this removes old interior smell


Pajero tire/wheel set up that killed some fuel economy



Intake duct light headlight I have for the 3, of course the battery is right in the way and I impulse bought this


Tacoma doing stuff


Mirin'


The old 5 when it was being built 





Also, that time the evo 6 met a baby bison

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/28/22 4:28 p.m.

Update: Evo 7 fan has been acting foolish. Yesterday, -32, it turns on before the dash coolant temp gauge is even up to temp... so, ordered a new one fan control module. Allegedly these can get so bad the fan will turn on overnight and kill your battery lol. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/9/22 11:45 a.m.

Evo 3 hood is off to paint. 



tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/9/22 3:23 p.m.

Two posts in one day, oops. 

Friend who did the bodywork on the three is trying his hand at youtube if anyone is interested in some video of the car:
Evo 3 body kit rescue video 1 - YouTube
 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/16/22 12:11 p.m.

Evo 3 Body Kit Rescue Video 2 - YouTube

Part two! Used quite a bit of my photos. Shows the rear arches, how they were trimmed, fixing the rear bumper, trunk lid. 

Like, that car was a wreck. 


tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/21/22 1:16 p.m.

Hood getting fixed, fancy stuff. It will be colour matched which I am pretty excited about. 

See dent here:

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/23/22 6:54 p.m.



Hood done, just need to put it on the car it next time I am home.. bro hasn't sent any pictures yet but here is a video:
https://flic.kr/p/2naj5Ei

(you have to click)

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/28/22 3:21 p.m.

Hi, it me with another update about the hood and its not on the car. Haven't been home for going on 8 weeks right now, so, haven't been able to install that unit. 


Anyways, looks good. Happy with the dent repair. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/28/22 5:10 p.m.

So much better than the look at me I'm carbon.  I am a fan of at least trying to be a sleeper.  Body color is classy.

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
3/28/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Yeah, I think so also. I also think if I do put the gold Advan RG's on there, with a black hood it would just be too busy, not a consistent thought. 

I do have a carbon fibre roof in the pile I will install eventually that I probably won't colour match... just to save cost. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/6/22 12:58 p.m.

That Evo III is just perfect, you really did a fantastic job saving it and improving it!

I really wonder what you can get an Evo 5 or 6 imported for right now in CA before the prices skyrocket when they become US eligible.  

Totally jealous of this amazing collection and great work!  I have a DSM and Gen1 Montero, also afflicted with the Mitsubishi curse.

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/6/22 1:27 p.m.
engiekev said:

That Evo III is just perfect, you really did a fantastic job saving it and improving it!

I really wonder what you can get an Evo 5 or 6 imported for right now in CA before the prices skyrocket when they become US eligible.  

Totally jealous of this amazing collection and great work!  I have a DSM and Gen1 Montero, also afflicted with the Mitsubishi curse.

Thanks! Evo 5/6 imported right now.. they already started going nuts. Looking at 30-40k CAD. 

Update on Pajero: ECU didn't fix anything, so that is great.  

Update on evo 3 hood: I found OEM stickers so it should be fresh fresh. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/6/22 2:03 p.m.
tperkins said:
engiekev said:

That Evo III is just perfect, you really did a fantastic job saving it and improving it!

I really wonder what you can get an Evo 5 or 6 imported for right now in CA before the prices skyrocket when they become US eligible.  

Totally jealous of this amazing collection and great work!  I have a DSM and Gen1 Montero, also afflicted with the Mitsubishi curse.

Thanks! Evo 5/6 imported right now.. they already started going nuts. Looking at 30-40k CAD. 

Update on Pajero: ECU didn't fix anything, so that is great.  

Update on evo 3 hood: I found OEM stickers so it should be fresh fresh. 

Yikes, guess I'll stick to DSMs for the rest of my life!  I missed the boat on affordable Evo8-9 prices here in the US. That was a short window in the mid 2000s-2010s before they shot back up.

Here is my (Current) Mitsu fleet, used to own several other DSMs, Galant VR4, and a Gen2 Montero for a small time.  Very cool to see some more mitsu love on GRM!

I wish I had the opportunity to sample an early evo. They really do look special, even a modified DSM with Evo3 components is not the same, and the VR4 is just a different feel I think.


tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/6/22 3:10 p.m.
engiekev said:
tperkins said:
engiekev said:

That Evo III is just perfect, you really did a fantastic job saving it and improving it!

I really wonder what you can get an Evo 5 or 6 imported for right now in CA before the prices skyrocket when they become US eligible.  

Totally jealous of this amazing collection and great work!  I have a DSM and Gen1 Montero, also afflicted with the Mitsubishi curse.

Thanks! Evo 5/6 imported right now.. they already started going nuts. Looking at 30-40k CAD. 

Update on Pajero: ECU didn't fix anything, so that is great.  

Update on evo 3 hood: I found OEM stickers so it should be fresh fresh. 

Yikes, guess I'll stick to DSMs for the rest of my life!  I missed the boat on affordable Evo8-9 prices here in the US. That was a short window in the mid 2000s-2010s before they shot back up.

Here is my (Current) Mitsu fleet, used to own several other DSMs, Galant VR4, and a Gen2 Montero for a small time.  Very cool to see some more mitsu love on GRM!

I wish I had the opportunity to sample an early evo. They really do look special, even a modified DSM with Evo3 components is not the same, and the VR4 is just a different feel I think.

That first gen shorty montero is super rad.

My brother has had DSMs, and yeah they are a bit different. Evos feel a lot lighter. His current one is an AWD Eagle Talon TSI, just feels heavy, generously it is probably another 500 lbs over the evo 3? Which I weighed and is around 2700 lbs. The gearing is also a lot taller, so the 3 you really are rowing through the gears. Even just closing the doors on the talons its like holy smokes they really did not give a E36 M3 about weight haha. 

But, I love me some DSMs. Every time a Talon pops up I have to talk myself out of it. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/6/22 4:26 p.m.

DSMs were not built for rally homologation, and that shows!

Please tell us you're looking for a Pajero Evo to add to the fleet smiley

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/6/22 5:50 p.m.
engiekev said:

DSMs were not built for rally homologation, and that shows!

Please tell us you're looking for a Pajero Evo to add to the fleet smiley

They are coming too close to the 25 year mark and I have been priced out of the market lol. I think I will be selling the Pajero once it is fixed. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/6/22 5:58 p.m.

Pajeros/Monteros have some cool quirks, but even the Gen3 get abysmal MPG and don't really have a lot of power/torque.   There are better options for more money buy they do have a lot of value for the tech you get.  IFIRC, the Gen3 pulled in some tech that was developed on the Paj Evo.  Gen3 traction control is also extremely well calibrated for off roading, it's pretty nuts what it can do without locking diffs.

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/6/22 6:50 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

As much as I love old junk, I think its time to be a grown up and get some newer junk (or an FJ Cruiser). Pajevo had independent rear that was semi carried over to the 3rd gens. At their bottom you could buy a Pajevo for like 10-15k CAD, but those days are long gone. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/6/22 11:00 p.m.

just powered through all of this. wow. just wow. 

 

ive never seen build threadinception before. amazing. i wish i had all your talents man. the III buildup and the VI are gorgeous. you really saved the III the best u coulda. wide body isnt oem but what could you do at that point? just save it. 

and you are right, that raw power on earlys is what makes em special to me. the III is def laggy but the boost hit is insane midrange. such a fun turbo! 

 

id love a III one day. and you have the queens silver/pewter color i adore. ugh. what a dream!!

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/7/22 11:47 a.m.

In reply to HaveBlue83 :

Thanks! I don't think I am particularly talented at anything but I think there isn't anything I can't do with enough research. I think anyone can do what I do but everyone's comments inspired me to read back and yeah, I am pretty proud of how far the cars have come considering I am just some guy with a shop (and a biologist lol), especially the 3 (and got annoyed at the dude quoting a full page of pictures again... mods?) . The three was honestly brutal when I got it and now it is a pretty nice car that I still have places to take it.  Like I have said, I try to just be a good custodian to the cars and try to maintain their history. So, what could I do with that car to make it acceptable to me, but preserve that? Widebody to my standards. Like, I have some guilt about even colour matching the hood, without having that dent I probably wouldn't have. 

The full exhaust and ported exhaust manifold really did help the car, probably made it spool 400 rpm sooner, but part of that lag is the character that I like about it. 

For the colours, I never really got too bogged down in wanting a specific colour and just got the first good (rust free) affordable options I could. I love silver though, especially at night time it just comes alive and that is when I do my most enjoyable driving. Just, cruising around an empty city. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/10/22 9:07 a.m.

In reply to tperkins :

we sound similar....doing what we can, night drives, custodians of the cars and their history. agreed. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/11/22 11:04 a.m.

Goodbye black hood


Hi colour matched and no dents. Match turned out well, paint turned out well, colour match turned out well.. I just need to dial in the gaps a bit on those fibreglass fenders. 


Overall pretty happy. Man, this car has come a long way lol. 


Got the tires mounted on the WORK RS-Z 


Fit them on the Odyssey during summer tire changeover. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/12/22 11:18 a.m.

Didn't get a ton done yesterday, ceramic coated 8 wheels though... which if you think about it, that is cleaning 8 wheels by hand, then coating them by hand twice per wheel. 


This colour really pops

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/13/22 11:04 a.m.

Long and arduous task of paint correction on the 7 began yesterday. Also, a few other jobs I have been meaning to knock off started. The rear fenders have been rolled,  the right is still great, the left has some paint flaking where they cracked it. I started repairing that (photos to follow after its done). I also need to replace the fan controller since the fan runs randomly when it shouldn't, the oil cooler lines (which are leaking at the crimped fittings)

A couple scope creep items, wiper blades have been losing paint so I pulled them off and painted them, as well the lower cowl was faded so I pulled it off and painted it as well. 

When I got the car, a clip was missing on the front left brake line, so it was bouncing around and I hay-wired it in to place and ordered some clips. The brakes were also super faded and gross looking and would really stand out when I put the new wheels on. I was thinking about painting them on the car, then noticed that brake line had a little score in it from when it was bouncing around and that made me a little uncomfortable, so pulled a bunch of parts out of stock and its getting new braided lines, new rotors and pads, and that allows me to pull the calipers off, go through them and ensure they're working well, then paint them, bleed them, blah blah. Just made sense to do it all now. 

"In stock" I mean I had them on the shelf waiting to go on the 3 when I brembo / 5 lug conversion and I kinda stole the parts off a guy. I saw a car for sale on facebook, I recognized the car as one I was trying to help the previous owner with when he imported it (he got the car, within 2000 km it blew an engine, he got to working on that and found a ton of rust holes everwhere etc). So, I messaged him to see if he was selling it, what he wanted for the whole car, etc etc and he said he sold it to someone else and that was who was trying to get rid of it now, but he did have a bunch of new parts for the car if I wanted to buy them. I asked what he got, and absolutely a score, for.. from what I remember 1200$ CAD (a price he approached me with) I got brand new in the box: exedy stage 1 clutch, exedy lightweight flywheel (the exact combo I have in the 6 that I would put in this car when the time comes), stoptech slotted front and rear rotors, DBA Street Performance Brake Pad set, stoptech braided brake lines and whiteline endlinks. Looking at cheapest prices online, that is approximately 2600$ CAD. So, big time score. 

Dont love that they are slotted, just seems like extra brake dust for a street car... but can't say no to that deal. 


Started with paint decontamination, 



Autoglym magma


Masked


Put my radiator cooling plate back on, polished it up a bit as well as the head sheild and radiator (scope creep). 


Painted cowl and wiper blades

2 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
0Yi2MM8bJvScqUm6eh6BZgfTTqMKw6xhvlmSzZ5bPVKpbEy1kOvqQbsJtAtnCx1B