1 2
Slinds99
Slinds99 None
11/18/20 2:26 p.m.

This is obviously my first post, I mostly just lurk and read through build threads on my lunch break. I might start a thread on turning our crappy 318i into something we can take to the track if I ever get around to working on it. 

So, here's the story. It is a 2000 540i 6 speed with sport suspension, M wheel and shifter, sport seats, DSP audio and the cold weather package. IT spent most of it's life in Oregon and was just brought down to AZ a couple years ago. It has around 134k miles, I bought it with the abs module inop and I have no idea how long it was bad. I bought this car about a year and a half ago with the intention of keeping it forever. Since I bought I have acquired a couple E60's and my new daily which is a 545i 6MT sport package that I got from the original owner. The E39 is just sitting and I just don't have the motivation to take care of all of the small details it needs, also some funds to throw at home renovation would be nice. I have replaced all sorts of things since I picked it up.

Recently replaced: 

• I have receipts for everything. I did all of the work at my shop when I had some downtime.
  • timing chains and every single part that came off in the process, it is a huge parts list. It was about 1k in parts at my cost.
  • rebuilt the vanos gears with new seals and recrimped with the ECS tool
  • sway bar end links and bushings
  • lower control arm bushings
  • rear ball joints and upper control arms
  • power steering hoses
  • had the cluster repaired
  • front brakes
  • 5 new Alzor wheels and tires, tires are cheapies because it was all I could get on super short notice when I found all four were showing cords on the M parralel wheels it came with. 
  • alignment, I even threw the 450lbs of weight in the car when I did it
  • rear window regulators, I will be installing the left rear this week
  • installed a GROM bluetooth interface that works with the steering wheel controls and has hands free calling
  • had the abs module repaired, which worked great for about 6 months. There is a code stored for the pre charge pump, which is working, the module failed in a different circuit apparently. The speedometer is still working, the traction is disabled.
  • some other small things I can't remember 

The good:

It runs great. It's a V8 six speed E39! Shadowline trim. Everything works as it should. The paint has had some correction work done and it looks great for a 20 year old car. The interior is in pretty nice shape. 

The annoying:

• The shifter has some play, the bushings need to be replaced
  • the shift knob is starting to come apart
  • occasionally it is notchy into second and fourth gear
  • one lug is missing on the right front, someone stripped the hub and I didn't feel like replacing the hub for a single lug
  • there is a rock chip in the center of the windshield
  • the c pillar fabric is starting to fall down
  • the master window switch bezel is broken and the drivers front window will not auto up
  • the front bumper found something on the freeway so the lower grill and foglights are missing
  • there is a small dent in the drivers front fender and a really small one on the drivers rear quarter
  • the left front strut is seeping and is a little noisy when driving under 10 mph, I couldn't decide if I wanted to go with stock struts or upgrade
  • there is a shimmy at 55 - 60 mph. I suspect the steering linkage needs to be replaced, I just haven't done it yet
  • the headlights are cloudy. replacements are crazy expensive because it has HID's
  • the clips for the lower door sill trim are broken on both front sides
  • the p.o. removed the airbox and slapped a cone filter on it. I have not found a good airbox to replace it with yet
  • the p.o. cut the exhaust after the resonator. I booger welded the exhaust back together and never got back to fully welding it so there is a small leak
  • It could use a detail
  • some other small crap I can't remember right now

The car has been sitting at my shop for the past few weeks and it is covered in dust. I'm going to be taking it home this weekend and cleaning it up over the next few days. I will post some more pictures after I get it clean. I'm into the car for about $5500 so I'd like to be right around there. It will also come with the square set of aftermarket M parrallels as I have no use for them. The original 6 disc changer is included as well. The car is in Phoenix. The first two pics are as it currently sits, the three others are from the p.o.'s ad. 

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
11/18/20 3:26 p.m.

Just an FYI for you or potential buyer, if the E39 headlights are anything like E46 headlights, you can replace the lens without replacing the whole headlight.  There's 6-7 big tabs that lift up, then the headlight pieces split in half.  Costs about $120/side for new OEM lens.  I did it on mine:

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
11/18/20 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Hey, thanks. I remember looking into replacement lenses and wound up getting side tracked with the timing chain parts list and repair. I don't think the dealer has E39 lenses, but a quick Google search pulled up a new set from ecs for about $140. If it doesn't sell quickly I'll just replace them, the car will look so much nicer with clear headlights. 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/19/20 12:28 p.m.

Gah.  Dammit.  

I own an Oxford Green 528i.  I've always said it's the perfect car except it needs another 100 horsepower.  

I'm glad you're a long ways away.

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
11/19/20 9:01 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not totally opposed to a drive and fly if you were willing to pay for gas, flight, and maybe a hotel along the way .. I've done the trip a few times now, (I moved to AZ from ohio) but the last time was like 8 years ago. I'm feeling older these days, I may want a nap at some point. 

Also, I agree. I love this car. I've wanted one since I was in high school and finally got one. Unfortunately my attention span is short and I picked up another car. I don't like the E60 more than the E39, but if I'm honest with comfort level on a commute I prefer the E60. I'm gonna be bummed to sell it but I really don't have any reason to own 2 V8 manual cars right now. 

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
11/20/20 9:08 p.m.

I may be interested in a trade of some sort as well. Something smaller and sporty? 

Steve
Steve New Reader
11/22/20 8:36 a.m.
Slinds99 said:

I may be interested in a trade of some sort as well. Something smaller and sporty? 

Sent ya a private message on here (I think), let me know if you don't see it. 

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
11/23/20 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Steve :

I haven't seen a PM pop up, but I've been checking mostly on my phone. And, I've never gotten a PM on here so I may have just missed it. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
11/23/20 10:44 p.m.

PMs go to the email you have on file.

Good luck with the sale; if it sits around too long I may change my mind and want to buy it.

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
11/24/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

Ah, thanks. I found it. 

Thanks. I haven't advertised it anywhere else yet so odds are it will be around for a while. 

denshurefabs
denshurefabs
11/28/20 8:08 p.m.

I am interested but I can't PM you yet. I made an account for this. Would you message me at la w a n d mj at g ma il?

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
11/29/20 6:46 p.m.

THIS image! THIS is what will sell your car. That is HOT

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/1/20 10:19 a.m.

GLWS. The fact the timing chain & tensioner has been done is a nice bonus.  

Nice color, great wheel selection.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a 540i in this color. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/1/20 2:03 p.m.

I know you said you have too many cars, would you consider any trades?

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/2/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Thanks. Yeah, It is a fairly big job, if someone had to pay full price for labor and parts it would nearly kill the car at this point. 

Thanks again, I really liked the fact that it wasn't black or silver like most of them. I have seen a couple, but they were manual swap cars. 

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/2/20 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 

Yeah, I might be interested in a trade. 

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/3/20 12:22 p.m.

Possible trade for a 2010 JCW Mini? I have $9k in it, including all new OEM brakes just done a few hundred miles ago. The tires will need to be replaced soon, but everything else is good.

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/3/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to dettonator20 :

Hmm .. I do enjoy buzzing around in a R56 S when I have one in the shop. I think I've only driven one JCW. Send me a PM with a little bit more info when you get a chance. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/5/20 10:03 p.m.

My son talked me out of a trade

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/8/20 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Ok, no worries. Thanks.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/9/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Slinds99 :

I have shared it with a few friends, and my comments keep this ad close to the top, lol!

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/10/20 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Haha, thanks man. I think I'm gonna let it hang out here for another week or so before I post it locally. 

Slinds99
Slinds99 New Reader
12/14/20 10:38 p.m.

Any interest at 5k firm? Christmas wound up being pretty heavy for the 7 year old this year and I still have 4 rooms that need new flooring, paint, some drywall work and trim. I'm losing all of my labor at $5500, I'm taking a loss at $5k. I just want this car to go to someone that will appreciate it and not slam it and blow it up the next day trying to drift. 

clutchmaster
clutchmaster New Reader
12/15/20 1:07 p.m.

I am interested. Are you able to send more pictures to an e-mail?    

thanks,

Lewis 

russde
russde Reader
12/15/20 1:34 p.m.

Has the cooling system been done?

Could you clarify the wheel situation? The BBS looking ones in the first pic are Altezza? And the chrome ones are M-parallel aftermarkets?

Thanks,

Russ

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SycuRD1wJogmmp5igsmu2ze6OWyvJCe02klWQRaGbYuYOeXh5Ie9fREwa4tWYNAZ