1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/29/21 5:17 p.m.

In reply to tb :

I... erm... was directed to this thread because I need a Subaru engine for a project.  I'd have felt awful if I bought your car just to gut part of it and scrap the rest.  That is VW Vortex level d-baggery.  

tb
tb Dork
11/29/21 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That wouldn't have bothered me at all. If I had known (my memory is E36 M3, I probably did know but forgot) I would have recommended you come get it and part it for profit!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/29/21 5:43 p.m.

Yes, the car is sold and going to a good home.  A very good home.  wink laugh

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/29/21 8:09 p.m.
tb said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I honestly thought it would be unpopular with this crowd since it is an automatic so I figured maybe the parts alone might attract a buyer but only at a bare minimum price. I couldn't be happier, thanks!

That bare minimum price was low enough to overlook a LOT on an otherwise well sorted car.  Plus for a winter beater it can be nice to mindlessly putter to and from work with one foot.

nocones
nocones UberDork
11/29/21 8:11 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Does the new owner happen to not need either set of rims and want to sell them to a challenge car?

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
11/29/21 9:53 p.m.

Apparently I am late to the party with my cash. Thank you for the tip, Indy!

tb
tb Dork
11/29/21 10:08 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

That makes sense. To be fair, it isn't the worst automatic I have driven by far, either, once you get used to it. I have, as you can imagine, heard a lot of E36 M3 talk over the years from people informing me that I really, really needed to own a stick shift wagon to be acceptably cool in their eyes...

tb
tb Dork
11/29/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I cannot speak to his plans, but I have no idea what he would actually need the snows for! They have seen at least one winter up in Aspen with actual snow and ice; they don't have that stuff south of the Mason Dixon where is it headed...

I honestly cannot remember if I have more sets of subaru fitments tucked away anywhere but post up the fitment you are looking for and I can check?

tb
tb Dork
11/29/21 10:21 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I had no idea anyone would want this one from here, but I did know that people from here would be persistent, intelligent and communicate well so I just did my best to talk to everyone who reached out.

So many people told me how great it was over the years except they would never buy an automatic that I thought it was pretty much unsellable in the enthusiast community...

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
11/29/21 10:59 p.m.

These are my favorite!

I'm bummed I missed out.

Honestly, these are almost superior with an auto vs the 5 MT. The torque multiplication in the 4eat is real and its fun. I've driven a bunch of these, owned one and still drive one occasionally. Stock engines to fully built. 

Hell of a score at three times the price.

tb
tb Dork
11/29/21 11:13 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

I agree that the 4eat is a good transmission and when paired with a quick spooling turbo you are really never in the wrong gear. I liked the option to use the steering wheel buttons when cruising but mostly bumped the stick in spirited driving.

At every single motorsport event I attended in this car at least one person treated me like I was mentally retarded for driving an automatic. I refrained from explaining the magical symbiosis of torque converters and turbochargers and just shrugged it off.

11/30/21 6:22 a.m.
nocones said:

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Does the new owner happen to not need either set of rims and want to sell them to a challenge car?

I haven't fully decided yet, but I very well may keep the rims.  The car is going to go to my youngest son eventually, but for now it's my baby.  I plan/hope to carry on the tradition that tb started with it by doing some track days.  If budget allows (and that's a big IF), I may grab a set of dedicated track tires to mount on the extra rims.  If I decide not to keep the rims, I will definitely reach out to you first before I do anything else.

I'm happy to use whatever parts tb gives with the car...as I said I plan to put it to good use.  It's going to have a loving home with a family that loves cars.

Oh, BTW, there doesn't happen to be anyone heading south who wants to drive the car down, does there?  I'm working on my schedule to fly out and get it, and disaster case scenario I've already got a shipper lined up, but if there's a GRMer coming south, let me know.

tb
tb Dork
11/30/21 1:12 p.m.

The good:

I have moved an extra car to a good home where it will be used, appreciated and well cared for.

The bad:

Now that I have sold one of "her" cars my wife is pushing me to sell my challenge car! Is that how this works? She never liked that miata...

11/30/21 2:05 p.m.

I may be able to help you with that too....

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
2vqZEqcvfFU0c6cxpaF4zM2iPNIvut9odDws6Sor75cNj2fGxXJOIaahD4gmyKyU