1 2 3 4
TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
2/20/17 11:23 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

I like the older cars because they have character. And I want something cool, my beetle is cool, but It's not the most capable on a track. (dragstrip is another thing)

I was just curious what options existed, all I ever hear about are muscle cars and such. Which are cool, but I see them all the time.

I kinda like the idea of a Datsuns and the Celica gt.

Ill take a look at the fiat if i can find one.

(ty for the Celica link)

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
2/21/17 9:44 a.m.

I would 2nd the BMW, this time a 1980-82 320i. The E21 has a 5 speed, electronic ignition, fuel injection and it could be equipped with a LSD. The offset of the rims is not normal but 15x7 rims and 195/50R15 tires can be acquired and fit under the stock fenders.

These are still available for 25% of what you have to pay for a 2002, but they are appreciating. These are a car that starts to come alive north of 3800 rpm, embrace the the sound and work the motor.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/21/17 4:11 p.m.

How about any of the Dodge Shelby's from the 80's. The GLHS versions come to mind as hot little econoboxes.

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
2/22/17 4:15 a.m.

Right the dodge Omni Glh right? (goes like hell? that car?) Those are neat little cars, rare tho from what I understand.\

I actually found a VOLVO P1800 that I'm considering buying. I drove it and it is kinda neat. He wants about 9k though, I'm thinking about it. What worries me is spare parts.

impster
impster Reader
2/22/17 4:54 a.m.

www.ipdusa.com = Volvo parts

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/22/17 7:59 a.m.
impster wrote: www.ipdusa.com = Volvo parts

Not really. IPD used to carry a lot of 1800 stuff, but not so much these days. There are better sources. I have mainly used irollmotors.com over the years along with CVI. Either way, there are many parts sources for pretty much anything you can think of (other than Bosch D-Jetronic EFI - many parts are NLA "new" but not hard to find used or refurbished).

http://www.volvo-1800.com/

Foreign Autotech (est. 1974) - now owned by Mike Dudek and located in California.

Telephone
(408)-847-1544 FAX (408)-847-2740 Postal address 8505 Church Street, #17. Gilroy, CA 95020 Electronic mail General Information: mike@irollmotors.com

http://www.p1800.com/

Don Thibault 372 Rt. 6A Sandwich, MA 02537 tel:(508)888-9715

http://www.swedishtreasures.com/

Swedish Treasures Vintage Volvo Parts PO Box 23 Fayetteville, NY 13066

Telephone (315) 637-3840

http://www.cvi-automotive.se/

CVI Automotive Reproduction & NOS (New Old Stock) parts from Sweden (it's my understanding that these folks took over distributing vintage NOS parts from Volvo)

Everything from electrical parts to NOS body repair panels (although D-Jet parts are still mostly NLA). First rate quality with pricing to match. Many of the US vendors get their stock from CVI.

http://www.vp-autoparts.com/

VP Autoparts Inc. Tel: +1 843 760 0170

3225 Fortune Drive, STE B Fax: +1 843 760 0172

www.skandix-usa.com

Skandix USA

European-sourced Volvo and Saab replacement and upgrade parts - mainly brakes, suspension and other wear items. The website is a bit annoying, but they have good prices on many items.

There are a few others as well. Most of these vendors also carry Volvo 122 parts.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
2/22/17 5:16 p.m.

If you're going Datsun and anticipate any type of real abuse, I would go 280z over 260. 260 was one year only and really no benefits. The 280z has better (stiffer) structure, a little more displacement, and you can still swap out the bumpers for 240z/early bumpers to have something much nicer looking. The L28's are pretty solid, it really is just rust that you would want to try and avoid.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
2/22/17 9:00 p.m.

Alfa Spider.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/23/17 12:02 p.m.

Alfa Milano/GTV6

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
2/23/17 6:06 p.m.

More ideas than I know what to do with. Unfortunately, while I was thinking about the Volvo someone beat me to it. My car is still running fine, though. So I'm going to keep looking around. I'll find something. who knows maybe ill find the wagon version of the Volvo, probably the most practical college car there is.

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/26/17 2:45 a.m.

C3 Corvette?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/26/17 8:01 a.m.

The Triumph Spitfire is a fantastic handling car, way under $10,000, easy to work on and modify and eventually has to go up in value. Same could be said for Sprites.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
2/26/17 8:25 p.m.

Has no one mentioned the e36 M3 yet? I think you can still find a decent one for $10K.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/26/17 9:49 p.m.

And you could easily make the argument that a 1989 BMW 325is is now a classic.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
2/26/17 10:50 p.m.
oldtin wrote: 2nd the X1/9. Fun little go karts,

Rumor has it that two front running F1 drivers both had x1/9s as daily drivers.

simontibbett
simontibbett Reader
2/27/17 10:58 a.m.

MK1 VW Rabbit GTI is a blast as someone posted. I raced one the past couple of years. Very responsive and a fun FWD.

The 914 is a good choice but don't let the VWness of it throw you off, they are still $$$ for parts. I had a 2.0 for a brief time and while I had big plans for it my budget didn't allow it. I'm sure they can be reasonable with the right starting point though. I want another one day.

Every now and then old 2002s and E21s pop up very reasonable around here and in good shape. I'd look for a 2002...

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/27/17 11:14 a.m.

In reply to TrulySpooky:

I'll even throw the Triumph TR8 into the hat. The wedge was the best handling Triumph by a big margin and even more improved with lowered springs/wider wheel/tires that many owners have done, not to mention a V8 than get be seriously improved with no loss of reliability. I can't think of much out there that offers more potential bang for the buck. Quite a contrast to my old Sunbeam Tiger which was a crappy handling car.

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
2/28/17 1:41 a.m.

I thought triumph had a reputation for unreliability?

Im willing to look into it, get a hartop for it and itd be a cool car.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
2/28/17 8:39 a.m.
TrulySpooky wrote: I thought triumph had a reputation for unreliability?

Is a Triumph as reliable as a modern Toyota? No. Compared to cars of the same era, I think they are "normal". They were built at a time where you needed to service a car much more frequently. There are many grease fittings that need a few occasional pumps of grease. The electrical system used lots of blade and bullet connectors that weren't weather protected and corrode. Mechanically, these were fairly study cars with a few exceptions. I've put 10k miles on my TR6 unrestored and 25k miles after a restoration. It's never broken down (with the exception of a clogged fuel filter thanks to ethanol). And I bought the car with 70k miles already on it. Granted, it was completely gone over in the last 25 years. If they are maintained, they can be reliable. A cruddy car with a hacked up wiring harness and lots of deferred maintenance can be a real can of worms, however.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/28/17 10:14 a.m.

Ive got a pro-touring 64 el camino for 12k.....

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/28/17 10:41 a.m.

Does a Fiat 124 Spider fit into this discussion? I don't know much about them but I think they're pretty cars.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/28/17 10:45 a.m.

In reply to TrulySpooky:

All British cars had a reputation for unreliability, not just Triumphs. But to be honest, my TR8 is the most reliable classic car I've ever owned. After all, it does have an American V8. The early TR7's made in Liverpool are cars to stay away from, but the quality issues in the later TR7/8's had been well resolved after they moved production back to the Coventry area.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/28/17 11:29 a.m.
maseratiguy wrote: Alfa Spider.

+1 And a second for the Fiat Spider, too.

It's possible, but really hard, to find the coupe versions of the 124 and the Alfa under $10k.

All of them were really good cars, too.

The real question, to me- what is the definition of classic? As an example, a 1994 Miata is as classic today as when I bought my "classic" 1973 Alfa. And each era of cars has it's advantages/disadvantages.

On top of that, some classics (like the Alfa and Fiat Spiders) cross eras- so that you get a lot of the driving dynamics of an old, charming car, but with modern things that make them easier to live with (like EFI).

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/28/17 4:57 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to TrulySpooky: I'll even throw the Triumph TR8 into the hat. The wedge was the best handling Triumph by a big margin and even more improved with lowered springs/wider wheel/tires that many owners have done, not to mention a V8 than get be seriously improved with no loss of reliability. I can't think of much out there that offers more potential bang for the buck. Quite a contrast to my old Sunbeam Tiger which was a crappy handling car.

Not to hijack this thread, but what does a decent TR8 sell for these days? And what does one look for when checking one out? I test drove one back in the early '80's and ended up in a TR7 instead, but still seriously want a TR8.

impster
impster Reader
2/28/17 5:27 p.m.

Only 3 TR8s on the Triumph Wedge Owners Assoc (TWOA) web site but some other under $10k wedges listed:

http://www.triumphwedgeowners.org/cars-for-sale.html

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CFRE9JlpPnBjB7ehx7R0Bxov3Js9ouKihnlalbKeUeTrFFOoLkwJ27iCVAgNURpk