David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/26/18 2:47 p.m.

The ’70s were all about the wedge. It was the shape to have, whether it was haircuts, shoes or sleek, low-cut supercars that could cleave right through the air with minimal effort. Italian design houses Bertone, Giugiaro and Pininfarina took that idea to the extreme, while exotic car builders like …

Read the rest of the story

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/26/18 3:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Now might be the time to buy one–assuming, of course, that you have the cash. 

The only reason I don't own one. smiley  I've lusted after them ever since they were introduced.

Olivialisa
Olivialisa New Reader
3/1/18 12:05 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
David S. Wallens said:
Now might be the time to buy one–assuming, of course, that you have the cash. 

The only reason I don't own one. smiley  I've lusted after them ever since they were introduced.

There is a logical argument for you.

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
3/7/18 7:03 a.m.

I've only ever been a passenger in one. Thrilling. The sound of the engine is unbelievable

IBINTHERBEFOR
IBINTHERBEFOR New Reader
4/10/21 3:04 p.m.

"In March 1969, BMW and AMC signed a DM 1.5 million contract to test the quality of the Italian prototypes of the AMX 3 and verify its performance (among others, a target top speed of 160 MPH). Following standard protocol, BMW launched an internal development project and gave it the next sequential number – which made it E18. . . Giotto Bizzarrini remembered that the first AMX/3 prototype was delivered to BMW around June 1969. . . It is not clear at what point BMW had fulfilled its contractual obligation vis-à-vis American Motors. The last available test & development report, dated April 10, 1970, makes mention of the fact that a number of components could not be properly tested, “due to lack of test specimens / cancellation of the development program by AMX [probably a typo] as per [BMW] internal note dated January 7, 1970”. "

There's an awful lot more to this story BUT I've always wondered what impact the work that BMW did on the AMX 3 and what the experience with the Italian houses had on the M-1.

ktisdale
ktisdale New Reader
5/21/22 9:17 a.m.

Check out a Pantera. Less money, Italian design, Ford power, and much fun.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/23/22 11:42 a.m.

Lovely cars that were never really affordable.

And your title makes me laugh at the irony. The last proper  'M' BMW was built back in 2008 in the E85/86 model (IMHO).

BMW owners tend to argue about the exact time the 'real' M cars stopped, but in any case BMW started capitalizing on the name by offering an 'M Package' on all sorts of non-motorsport oriented models that entailed far less work - mostly appearance and maybe some different wheels and tires.

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
2/19/23 8:53 p.m.

A Beautiful dark blue m1 showed up today at a cars and coffee I was attending this morning... Didn't catch what year it was though..

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
2/19/23 9:18 p.m.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
2/20/23 12:36 p.m.

Th styling aspect that I find most attractive is the small thin grilles at the front - especially now that BMW has gone in for the gaping shark look which I find so ugly that I would never own a car that looked like that.

The M1 shared that sort of nose with the E36 8 series (840s with the V8 and 850s with the V12). Handsome cars albeit perhaps a tad overweight.

One little known fact is that BMW started developing what would have been an M8 with a hopped up V12. See 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series_(E31)

Ironically, having failed to actually produce an M8, they called a new model by that name starting in 2019. so at least they got to use the name.

Which looks better to you, original 8 series or new M8?

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
4/23/23 11:30 a.m.

In reply to ktisdale :

my closest was a mid-engine V8 Corvair...

work on a V6 MkI MR2 to begin...after 1.5 other projects.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TDixvN3NYGXMIMzEejv2QytDkYXeehomP3lQJnEEzV6Imyze5lYKqDDC6vSZ6HQw