1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/8/15 11:23 a.m.

I'm casually considering picking up some sort of car from the 20's to early 30's. The Model A is the easy button. Lots of them out there and pretty much all parts are available. Not looking for a V8 car, just a back road cruiser that is way outside my current range of automotive experience.
Is Model A the way to go, or is there something else from the era that I should be looking at?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/8/15 11:26 a.m.

I like Model A's, but I'd want something with hydraulic brakes. Also, I don't love the idea of having the gas tank a few inches above my lap.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/8/15 12:30 p.m.

There were other cars that could be considered 'better' but a Model A makes the most sense for cars from the late 20s. They're by far the most popular, plenty of them are still around, parts are easy to find and upgrades (like hydraulic brakes) are well documented. If you widen your search to the 1930s or early 1940s, you can find cars with better brakes, more powerful engines, and better suspensions that are more suitable for today's roads. They also have a lot more room inside - a Model A or similar is pretty tight inside.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 12:45 p.m.

If you keep looking, it shouldn't be too hard to find a Model A or similar from that era with seating for 6 to haul around the entire DeuceFam.

Do it.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/8/15 12:49 p.m.

Thought this was another Miata thread:

Model A

Model B

Model C

Model D

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/8/15 1:37 p.m.

Miata mechanicals under a Model A could be a cool idea.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/8/15 1:53 p.m.

Go up to a model b. Much roomier,much more uusable as a car. That would be 32-36 ford.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/8/15 1:54 p.m.
Woody wrote: Miata mechanicals under a Model A could be a cool idea.

S2000 underneath. Do it so I don't have to.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
4/8/15 1:56 p.m.

MG-TC.

Very 30's, but just a hair more modern. Even in the 50s.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/8/15 2:50 p.m.

I'm looking for something from the dawn of 'modern'. In the really each part of the century cars were still figuring out how to be cars. It seems to be in the late 20's that cars settled on the modern layout (three pedals, gear shift and what not) and from there it's just been modernization.
This is the thought process that led me to the A. I've never driven one though I have an open offer to if I can get myself to Oklahoma.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
4/9/15 5:50 a.m.

Even better - this!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/9/15 7:03 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
Even better - this!

Wow! Completely awesome.

There is an interesting post in the comments:

Anonymous said: hi, Does anyone know who owns this car now is it for sale -steve, australia

Do we know this guy??

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/9/15 7:03 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
Even better - this!

I'd forgotten about that car. Awesome how they made the engine look like an old flat-head.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/9/15 7:22 a.m.

In Reply to petegossett: I'd use a Zetec with a BDA cam cover on it for the vintage look, but I'd probably use ITBs or DCOEs. Try to sneak some copper pipe/tubing in to help the vintage vibe even more so.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/9/15 9:18 a.m.

I have a Model A and it is a pretty awful car. I keep it because it is sentimental. I like the T series idea.

I have actually been casually looking for a 40s Ford or Mercury convertible. At that point you get all the cool, plus better styling, a V8 engine and hydraulic brakes. Much roomier and more stylish than an early car.

But, on they other end of the spectrum, Model Ts have become red hot, partially because of Jay Leno getting into them. They are seriously cool, a genuine icon and cheap as chips. That said, they are far more awful than a Model A.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/9/15 10:09 a.m.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/model_a/1732105.html

Just... you know... because...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/9/15 11:30 a.m.

I'll jump on the MG-T series bandwagon. Same idea but much more better.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
4/9/15 1:41 p.m.

There are local people here who race & sell hop-up parts for Model-T's. They race(and win) the Newport Hillclimb each year, usually in more than one class.

I'm dropping off a new pc to them tonight if anyone would like me to relay any questions to them?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/9/15 3:26 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Just ask why a T over an A. And no, not like that. I'm certainly open to a Model T. My father in law has 1948 Chevy pickup that I get to drive when I visit and will likely come to live with me some day. That has pretty much all of the late 30's to 40's feel that I need. I feel like a post depression car would have a lot of overlap with it.

impster
impster Reader
4/9/15 4:30 p.m.

I've a friend who once gave me a ride in his A that he acquired from his grandfather. A thoroughly terrifying experience while driving in traffic, what with its "automatic lane change feature" and brakes that were more of a suggestion than anything actually intended to stop the car.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/9/15 5:12 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to petegossett: Just ask why a T over an A. And no, not like that. I'm certainly open to a Model T.

It’s like trying to do the Charleston while loading a musket after a big night at the speak-easy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-drive-a-ford-model-t

maj75
maj75 Reader
4/9/15 5:32 p.m.

Yeah, drive one first.

I got my dream car, a '65 Mustang GT 2+2. Hated driving it so much I sold it after 3 months of ownership. Make sure you enjoy the experience or you are just buying an art piece.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/9/15 7:26 p.m.

There are a lot of Model As still out there. Definitely test drive one first, because it may be too archaic for you.

The plus side is, there are tons of parts and a descent aftermarket.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/9/15 7:50 p.m.

I wouldn't take a T over an A with the stated goals. A T is good for something like 35mph and doesn't even have front brakes. An A won't be entirely out of it's element around normal light traffic, a T will.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
4/9/15 10:04 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I asked - they said a T isn't so much like driving a car as it is operating a piece of antique equipment. An A, particularly a later and/or updated one, will provide a much closer to modern driving experience while still providing a cool vintage/antique vibe.

They also said if you have any T-specific questions to put you in touch with them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YW94ks5PT5k3miCcrLXCf3ZmeIYq7KLzZiDLxxrymvdWg2SADBakcaje7KRghPrb