1 2
Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/13/14 7:07 a.m.

Here are a few pics from Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.

I learned pretty quickly why those engines are called "Screamers"!

Leo

photo StoneBridge1_zpsebe0e4fb.jpg</a

photo DTWG2_zpsd336c561.jpg

photo DTWG1_zpsc578648c.jpg

photo USVGP1_zps0775af15.jpg

I did have some overheating issues, note the spoilers on the nose made from pizza boxes!...It didn't help.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
9/13/14 11:45 p.m.

Leo fantastic; so glad you were able to get some seat time in. The cooling issue should be straight forward sort, either updating the radiator and or and larger oil cooler. Also double check the jetting as on little buzz bomb engines being a even a step lean seems to have a noticeable effect on cooling.

It looks great and I love the period gear for the parade through town.

Tom
Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
9/14/14 1:23 p.m.

Leo,

It sure looks good! Glad you're out in it!

Rupert

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/14/14 3:56 p.m.

How could I not dress the part! LOL

The rad is going out tomorrow to Griffin. I got a used MGB cooler for the rear...To preserve the patina and the BSP fittings. Plus a slight tweek of the coolant hose routing in the engine bay.

One more pic: Just before we loaded up for Lime Rock.

Leo

photo NextGen1_zpsda061e82.jpg

Gary
Gary Reader
9/14/14 4:28 p.m.

Leo, it was nice talking with you at Lime Rock. The car looks great ... very sixties formula one-ish with the "Basile" name stickers! Good show.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/14/14 4:39 p.m.

Thanks Gary and Rupert!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/15/14 10:08 a.m.

Doh! I didn't know you were at Lime Rock. I would have looked for you. I'm sure I walked past your pit a dozen times over the 4 days.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Dork
9/15/14 4:18 p.m.

That is awesome! Did you have the theme to "Grand Prix" playing in your head the whole time?

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/15/14 8:13 p.m.

Hungry Bill...LOL. After looking the pics my wife took, the middle 2, I just started humming that music! Actually when we started the car for the first time...It was like the beginning of the movie, reving it up, watching the chronometric tach...Cool stuff.

I was just waiting for somebody to ask me if I was tired of racing. My response would have been "No, but I sure go get tired of working on the car".

It was a real treat to drive the car. I was pretty lucky to stumble across it.

It looks like Im going back to Watkins Glen on the weekend of October 12th. Hope to see some of you there.

Gary
Gary Reader
9/16/14 8:28 a.m.

Leo, hope you'll be able to include the Thompson Motorsport Park (eastern CT) vintage event in your 2015 schedule. It'll be the last weekend in June. It's hosted by the Vintage Racing Group and VSCCA. Thompson is a new/revived venue that opened this season. Check out the related thread from earlier this year that stu67tiger started titled "Thompson is back!" Stu posted some good pics of the new circuit.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/16/14 4:57 p.m.

Gary, I work a 30/30 schedule overseas, so by virtue of that, its hard to make the same events every year, so I will be doing that maybe next year.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
9/16/14 11:01 p.m.

Leo, you look so much taller with the helmet on but the pink driving shoes are the bomb.

Remember even if you race twice a year you will still be light years ahead of all the folks who have said "I want to go racing"........plus you're in a real race car and a pretty one at that.

I will also admit to being a bit jealous, I will not get to run my newly acquired single seater till late October..............you'll be on your third event by then

Tom
Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/17/14 2:47 p.m.

Thanks Tom,

I was really really lucky to get that car...and get a wife that digs the vintage car scene as well. Although I did have to bribe her with a Lotus Elise.

I wonder if there are enough racers on the CMS Board to put together a CMS open class at some event...Then someone could have the bragging rights. Andre! Do ya hear me?

Leo

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/17/14 3:09 p.m.

Tom,

Post a pic of you race car!

Leo

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
9/17/14 10:53 p.m.

Leo I will get one up over the weekend.........I am in for the CMS open class.

Tom
Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/18/14 3:12 p.m.

If we actually did a CMS Open Class, to help even out the competition, the winner would have to buy the rest of the field a beer!

Leo

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
9/30/14 11:12 a.m.

Leo,

Check out the picture I just added to the Ran When Parked section. The car isn't actually parked, he's warming the engine for a "Parade Lap" at the Mitty at Road Atlanta. But the car, the helmet etc. fit right in with your new Avatar picture that I guessed you would enjoy seeing it. I'd actually add the picture to this post but I'm not that computer literate.

Believe me if you can spare the time, The Mitty is always worth a trip.

Rupert

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/30/14 11:15 p.m.

Rupert,

I would love to meet you! Maybe next year at the Mitty? I would love to do Road Atlanta in the Cooper. Thats where I did my Skip Barbor School.

Leo

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/1/14 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Leo Basile:

Speaking of Skip Barber. Have you seen their track and bike & a few cars museum? It's certainly worth a trip.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/1/14 3:35 p.m.

Is it at Road Atlanta?

Leo

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/4/14 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Leo Basile:

No it's just outside Birmingham Alabama. Easy to get to on the bypass on the south side. Go to their website @barbermuseum.com. I'm really surprised it's not much better known! I think it is by far the best motorcycle museum I've seen in the US & they claim 43 (forty-three) lotuses plus lots of other unusual cars on display. They also have a very nice road track there as well.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/5/14 3:58 p.m.

The word on the street is that the Barber Motorsport Park is really nice. One day!

Leo

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/6/14 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Leo Basile:

I agree! It is a really nice and interesting race course with several challenges. It is also a really nice place to spend time and enjoy. At my age, if not your age quite yet, these are things to appreciate & enjoy!

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
10/7/14 5:45 a.m.

George Barber, not Skip. But a terrific museum. It's about a two hour drive from Atlanta.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/7/14 12:01 p.m.
gjz30075 wrote: George Barber, not Skip. But a terrific museum. It's about a two hour drive from Atlanta.

Thanks for that info. I also loved the museum and the road course!

Rupert

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t1dUAoln0vzDTYqxhG942SAjXUBhCEMf1XD1Q9XAwjbrckMJUlB4rAJdNRlAxbqC