frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/29/23 9:02 p.m.

I guess it's a race for cars from 1936 and earlier ?    But try as I can I can find a set of rules.   
 I know where there is a 1935 Buick chassis  that's just begging to have something done to it.  Anybody know anything?  

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/29/23 9:16 p.m.

Just found this, in case you have not. 
https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/29/23 9:17 p.m.
frenchyd said:

But try as I can I can find a set of rules.   

Rules???

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/29/23 9:22 p.m.

Also,

To qualify, the cars must have been produced before 1935 and can’t even include parts made after 1953. 

from 

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-race-of-gentlemen-is-a-throwback-to-simpler-tougher-more-snazzy-times-167994.html#

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/29/23 9:29 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Great that tells me somethings. I think It might qualify.   But is an in-line Buick eligible?  
    The body doesn't exist anymore Is it OK to build a period correct body?    Ever see the movie Topper  w/ Carry  Grant?    That  wonderful  fined speedster ?   

TR7
TR7 Reader
1/29/23 11:17 p.m.

I have been to a couple of the TROG races here on the NJ beach. Its a very cool event, and the rules seem to be more "spirit of the scene/period" and to keep speeds relatively low/safe. Its always very cool, and the vibe I got was that if your in it to win it, your doing it wrong. 

Also, the only thing separating the cars from the spectators (general beachgoing public) is a snow fence and a few feet of sand sooooo I dont think they would allow you to show up with a monster. But also maybe the California event being on pavement is different. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/30/23 12:02 p.m.

Getting serious with stuff that old wouldn't be fun.  Plus I'm long past having to prove anything.     

Did you ever see the movie Topper?  1937 with Cary Grant. That fined Buick  is what I'd do.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/30/23 12:10 p.m.

Are you trying to find a race series where the latest in Jag tech might be competitive?

I kid I kid actually I'm not kidding.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/23 12:22 p.m.

I've had an ember of a dream of building a TROG car that would also be Challenge eligible.  But finding a pre-35 car with a workable budget price has been more difficult than expected. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/30/23 12:31 p.m.

You'd need to get lucky and creative. 
   I really think the $2000 challenge needs a 50 year old historic  class.  That would put it at 1973?  And a 70 year Vintage class  that would put it at 1953. 

Maybe do it anyway and come undocumented . 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UNSlmkrR9SnXFZvA9GWxcnbZR8DtWZS3ltJ34H6Dlb6SLhADlJRmUiXGAizAZ5Fp