sb924
sb924 New Reader
7/4/10 9:29 a.m.

hi everyone, I have been trying to pin down some motor oils that would have more/correct amounts of zddp for the older and flat tappet cars.

so far the oils I have heard or higher have been mobil 1 15w50 extended performance, Brad Penn(20w50?), Amsoil and Redline.

I wondered if anyone here has done some checking and what have you found?

thanks Sean

Rhodyspit75
Rhodyspit75 New Reader
7/4/10 10:14 a.m.

I'm using Valvoline VR1racing oil. I have seen it in most parts stores.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/4/10 10:31 a.m.

I use VR1 as well. Just changed the oil last week.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
7/4/10 10:32 a.m.

Valvoline All Fleet 15W-40 is just fine, readily available in stores and not expensive.

Brad Penn is excellent if you can find it and want to afford it.

I'm leery of using racing oils because they tend not to have various stabilizers, detergents and other additives you probably want in a street-driven car. All those things make the oil a bit less slippery, and you want racing oil to be as slippery as possible. That's fine if you're going to change the oil after every race weekend, but may not be what you want if you're going to change it every 3000 miles.

YMMV...

sb924
sb924 New Reader
7/4/10 11:03 a.m.

yes the racing oil was also a concern of mine as well - I also have an old turbo kit to be concerned with as well - so I have been concerned with the synthetics and their zddp content as well.

TJ
TJ Dork
7/4/10 4:01 p.m.

I've been using Castrol GTX and adding ZDDPlus in the Mini.

sb924
sb924 New Reader
7/5/10 10:04 a.m.

I have heard of the additive, but I was unsure about proper mixture - have you noticed any issues with that?

TJ
TJ Dork
7/5/10 3:41 p.m.

No issues so far. It's been I think 4 (maybe 5) years since I had the engine rebuilt by Abacus Racing. Of course who knows if the additive is the reason there have been no problems or not. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to hurt.

ZDDPlus

63Alpine
63Alpine New Reader
7/7/10 10:09 p.m.

Shell rotella and oils designed for diesels still have some, but i think its all getting phased out sooner than later.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
7/8/10 6:36 a.m.

Running Valvoline VR1 in the GT6 and the FIAT. 20w50.

I found the GT6 just destroyed the Castrol GTX it ran very cool on the VR-1 last yr. To the point I removed the oil cooler.

I use the GTX for winter storage.

Both are conventional and keeps stocking easy.

A.

cupcake
cupcake New Reader
7/8/10 7:33 a.m.

Do your research on this one. I too was using Rotella diesel oil, but then they changed their formula (ratings changed) and heard that because of regulations for reducing zink in oil, they significantly reduced thier content. Now I use a synthetic with the ZDDP additive since the oil manufactures keep changing thier formula.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/8/10 9:17 a.m.

Brad Penn is a good choice, as is Joe Gibb's Hot Rod oil. I believe Redline (as stated above) also makes a Zinc impregnated oil.

They all care enough about our scene to advertise with GRM/ CMS.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/products/hotrod/index.html

http://www.bradpennracing.com/

http://www.redlineoil.com/

lakespeed
lakespeed
7/9/10 9:32 a.m.

Hey guys, I'm the head oil tech at Joe Gibbs Racing, so I figured I would add my two cents if you don't mind.

First, if the car is street driven as well as some track days, it is best to stay away from Racing Oils due to the low detergent/dispersant formulas (unless you want to change your oil every 500 miles or so). The Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oils have the higher levels of Zinc (AKA ZDP) that your engines need, and the Hot Rod oils have a normal detergent/dispersant package to accomodate street driving as well as track days.

For all out racing, look at true racing oil. The lower levels of detergent and dispersants in real racing oils helps reduce wear in highly stressed engines, so real race cars should use a real racing oil. Obvioulsy, Joe Gibbs has real racing oils available (the same oils our NASCAR team has been using for the last 10 years).

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/9/10 10:13 a.m.

Are you really Lake Speed?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/9/10 11:10 a.m.

That was Lake Speed Jr. his dad is the NASCAR legend.

Thanks for the input Lake!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6KgFqk5AcpMU3bfjhuogErqhQuiEtSl3NQqKwhOlInnReIsyZLKqdXFBf8OHtkOG