thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
9/4/21 7:01 p.m.

Hi all. My wife's 2007 Milan (2.3l 4 cyl) threw it's serpentine belt last weekend. We got it towed home for me to fix. All the accessories spin freely, and the tensioner still has spring pressure when I put a wrench on it. However, the tensioner's pulley has some play, and I can see rust pour out of it's bearing when I wiggle it. Is that likely why the belt came off? The belt is pretty old too, so I'm planning to replace both. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/4/21 7:30 p.m.

If the tensioner allows some sideways movement, that's bad, and will roll the belt off the edge.

thatsnowinnebago
9/5/21 3:31 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Ok, cool. The pulley does have some side-to-side movement so that was probably it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/5/21 6:28 a.m.

See if you can move the pivot portion of the tensioner as well.  The bushing fails in there, but the spring pressure makes it hard to feel.  If there is actual rust coming from the bearing, you are probably home, but check the bushing just in case.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/5/21 7:43 a.m.

If the undertray/side panel is missing, a good deep puddle can cause it.

This was so common on Caravans that there was an update parts kit that made  the belt ribbed on both sides.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/5/21 8:09 a.m.

Belt tensioners are a wear item. Should be replaced occasionally.

thatsnowinnebago
9/5/21 10:15 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I last replaced the belt like 6-7 years ago and I don't remember doing the tensioner too...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/5/21 10:30 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

When you get the belt back on, with the engine running so everything finds its home, check pulley alignment by sighting down the belt.  It's not uncommon for a spring tensioner's pivot to wear out, which you'll see by the belt running half a rib or more out of line on the tensioner pulley compared to the rest of the belt drive.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
9/5/21 10:51 a.m.

Interesting. 
my brother had a 2.3 Ford Fusion and two separate times it snapped off the tensioner  I believe and threw the belt. It would sheer off the bolt both times. 
No one ever could give a good explanation. 
I would check the bolts as well while you're in there

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/5/21 10:59 a.m.
CarKid1989 said:

Interesting. 
my brother had a 2.3 Ford Fusion and two separate times it snapped off the tensioner  I believe and threw the belt. It would sheer off the bolt both times. 
No one ever could give a good explanation. 
I would check the bolts as well while you're in there

The bolt breaking on those is from a bad design of the timing cover that lets the tensioner flex, or so I have read.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1WBMGoTxG7CnaIBRcrIETDdKQUP3pg3daUYu3qy0DCMTd6h3bFx3fVoTJBjQqoM