1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/24/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

I've never had them and never seen a need. I used to see the burned seat covers in the old Acuras when they shorted out. Didn't look pleasant

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/24/20 9:49 a.m.

If it gets cold where you live, once you've had seated heats, it's difficult to go back... wink

For this car specifically, they're pushing it into a price category where such features should be included.  Especially when they've already been engineered into the car...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/24/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

It's 17* right now and blowing the snow sideways. I guess if you're a leather seat fan it could suck. Cloth seats are our preference

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/24/20 9:54 a.m.

19* here in AZ... no snow, though.

A big benefit is the seats warm up much quicker than the HVAC can get warm air out.  I've also found them kind of nice for when my bad back bothers me on longer drives.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/24/20 10:20 a.m.

I'm torn. I really don't like SUVs but I've read that the N line is going to other models. If true, I'd like an Kona N please. Something about the look of that thing has got in my craw. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/24/20 11:13 a.m.
Rodan said:

A big benefit is the seats warm up much quicker than the HVAC can get warm air out.  I've also found them kind of nice for when my bad back bothers me on longer drives.

This exactly. I have a 3 mile commute to work and in the winter the motor never warms up enough to put out any heat by the time I get there. The steering wheel and seat heaters you can feel almost immediately.   

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/24/20 11:33 a.m.
Iusedtobefast said:

I'm torn. I really don't like SUVs but I've read that the N line is going to other models. If true, I'd like an Kona N please. Something about the look of that thing has got in my craw. 

Me too. I could totally rock the Kona N though. The pics I have seen look awesome.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/24/20 11:48 a.m.

I could definitely get interested in a 300hp AWD compact SUV.

Then Kona could ride in a Kona... cheeky

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/24/20 12:31 p.m.

Heated seats?   I'm the old school guy complaining about electric window motors going bad.   Nothing wrong with wind up hand crank windows.  UNTIL I have that option.....

Wife wanted heated seats and I complained about future issues in her Pilot UNTIL I drove it on a cold day......oooohhhhh these are nice.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/24/20 1:44 p.m.

One of the many Internet renderings of the Kona N. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/24/20 1:52 p.m.

As much as I like the Kona and Veloster, I really wish they'd just give us (in the US) the i30N hatch...

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/24/20 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

you and me both buddy...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/24/20 4:18 p.m.
Rodan said:

This, I use my heated seats even in the summer.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/25/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

Yep! I'm all in! When do they hit the showrooms? That will be fun! If I'm going to be stuck buying SUVs from now on, might as well be fun

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/11/21 7:29 p.m.

Sure hope Hyundai allows you to really & fully turn off the nanny's because the Veloster R-Spec is awful as an autox car if you want to go to the limits.  I have looked at the "N" but my money will be spent else where for a toy & I'll just keep using the R-Spec around town.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/13/21 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Ozzy :

Yes the N series is defeatable as evidenced by the cars running nationally. I imagine that it can also be tuned out, but that of course voids warranty. Also why I'm looking at first gen. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/13/21 9:03 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Ozzy :

I imagine that it can also be tuned out

I would like to know more about this.  If I can get Hyundai to fix the car, I might keep it and play with this.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/13/21 9:13 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

aftermarket tuners. If I was running one and that was a priority, I'd be making calls/emails.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/13/21 9:23 a.m.

yes Yeah, I just wondered if you had seen it confirmed somewhere.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/13/21 9:37 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I don't have anything new or fast enough for all that fancy-ness! lol

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/13/21 9:05 p.m.
Rodan said:

I could definitely get interested in a 300hp AWD compact

SUV.

rothwem
rothwem Reader
1/14/21 7:30 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
ProDarwin said:

Wonder how the DCT will hold up. 

That's what I'm eager to learn as well, mostly because the DCT-equipped N shot to the top of my "Which car would I pick if I had the means to replace my daily today?" list.

Another curious potential owner right here.  I don't think the 7-speed DCT currently used has been that reliable, but maybe this unit will do better?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/14/21 7:41 a.m.
rothwem said:
Colin Wood said:
ProDarwin said:

Wonder how the DCT will hold up. 

That's what I'm eager to learn as well, mostly because the DCT-equipped N shot to the top of my "Which car would I pick if I had the means to replace my daily today?" list.

Another curious potential owner right here.  I don't think the 7-speed DCT currently used has been that reliable, but maybe this unit will do better?

I imagine it will.  Everything about the car seems to have been designed for the track environment, as (the 6spd at least) it carries its warranty even during track use.  Fingers crossed that it its a good solid transmission.

I don't think I could recommend a Veloster at this point based on my own experience with one, but I do hope the car does well.  Its the type of vehicle I would like to see more of.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/18/21 11:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

As of now I have not heard about any work around on the regular Velosters.  I bought a 19 1.6T Elantra Sport (6spd manual) for my daughter & those guys are complaining about the same problem.  Also one of the specialized Hyundai tuners on the FB page commented that a few of the hardcore "N" owners have been having a few problems with the computer interrupting at the wrong time even though that system is supposed to be fully off.  There is a huge write started by the guy that ran that HS Elantra N line at Nationals back in 18.  I think he managed 13th with it.  He was trying to get around the same issue & never did get a fix.  Last I know he was going to be driving a prepared Honda after one season in his Hyundai.  I can't see trying to tune it out since the 1.6T Veloster still won't be competitive in GS.  It's an HS car & won't catch the Fiesta ST with it's current stabilitly handicap even if the powers that be move it to HS.  Still I love the R-Spec as a daily.  It's a blast.  My youngest will be driving it & I'll send it off with him when he goes off to school.  Hyundai would have to come up with something truly impressive for me to thrown money at one again.  At this point I think my next car will be a C7 Z06/Z07 with the manual.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/21 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Ozzy :

If your only concern was autox you would be right. If you want a great all-rounder that's fun, affordable and easy on the consumables it's spot on. 

There was a time when I was a SRS BZNS auto'xer. That's far behind me now and I willingly participate in a local class called ZF with a PAX of 5. yes.... 5. We're there for the fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2hbKUhRWheG5UGdX6nyWyoQawonCHvTrx72E6VowQd0f6cxKWhE9wdKT2McjqALt