calteg
calteg Reader
4/30/13 2:30 p.m.

Bought a basketcase Camaro, looking to liberate the LS1 + trans. All my research suggests that this is best done by lifting the body off the drivetrain.

I approached a few shops, but every is scared of things like "liability." Anyone have a 4 post lift they wouldn't mind me utilizing for a day or two? Liquid compensation could be arranged.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
4/30/13 4:02 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

No four post but do have a Kwiklift which would be a little low.

Happy to help if you need it. PM if you do.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/30/13 4:31 p.m.

If you can get it on something that rolls, you can usually get the job done by lowering the engine/trans onto the rolley thing, disconnecting everything, and the raising the front of the car until you can drag it out. The balance point of a car with no motor is such that you can get jack stands quite a long way back and be safe. Extra points for letting the air out of the rear tires to get yourself that extra couple of inches.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/30/13 4:33 p.m.

Otherwise, if you can get the car out to San Marcos I might have a name for you.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
4/30/13 4:36 p.m.

Sawzall?

calteg
calteg Reader
4/30/13 4:46 p.m.

I've been looking at rolling dollies to carry the drivetrain a short distance to a hoist. Figured I'd get ahead of the curve and try and find a really low profile one.

San Marcos isn't too far out, the Camaro actually drives quite well...just looks like a wrecking ball hit it. PMs inbound!

Does the hive mind know exactly how much clearance I'll need?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/30/13 4:57 p.m.

If you're truly junking the mullet car then the sawzall isn't a terrible idea. Just cut off all of the stuff in front of the motor and roll it out. Easy peasy. Sent you back a PM.

calteg
calteg Reader
4/30/13 6:32 p.m.

Sawzall's actually not a bad idea. It's currently parked a block away from a scrapyard, which would make disposal pretty easy.

Still have to get under it to get the big six bolts holding the trans in.

Our Preferred Partners
ob5Mzlo8d3TlohAGU7XJsmxHnAScAn7y2SXA3pzKqL6rNjoRzX6Bg4jdQm7qUIbc