AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/27/22 6:30 p.m.

I started driving trucks and owned trucks when I first got my license.  I always knew about the Shelby Dodges but never knew about the Shelby Dodge Dakota until recently.  I've missed my chances to own a Chevy OBS 454 SS or a 1st gen Ford Lightning, as I just won't pay those prices for a toy.  While perusing autotempest / craigslist I found a cheap Shelby Dakota that looks legit and is worth saving.  I'd probably have to clear out my Boxster S to make room for it, but I still have other toys and Radwood shows would be a blast.  I still have the Camaro, Subie and MR2 for other things.  If anyone can look at this and help me get it on a carrier to TX I'm interested.  I can easily afford it and the shipping. 

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/anaheim-89-dodge-shelby-dakota/7426482087.html

I'd like to get eyes on it though from a GRMer and the title etc.  I have no clue what a legit CA title looks like.  I also want to make sure the truck is southern CA rust free and mostly restorable with paint, decals and some TLC.  I can take care of all the mechanical no worries. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/27/22 7:41 p.m.

you can read the plate number , 8z86847

https://www.bar.ca.gov/services/vehicle/pubtstqry.aspx

it will tell you the smog check history  and that  it failed in 2017 , so not sure if the plates are up to date , 

probably not ,  

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
1/27/22 8:12 p.m.

Oh man, I was driving around with my wife around Coconut Grove last weekend and saw a very clean one:

1/27/22 9:44 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Since it'd be coming to TX it doesn't really matter.  It says the trans needs work in the ad and that it has a new engine, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been on the road in a while. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/27/22 9:57 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Since it'd be coming to TX it doesn't really matter.  It says the trans needs work in the ad and that it has a new engine, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been on the road in a while. 

but its a good bargaining point  and the back fees from DMV......which i know you do not have to pay but a local buyer would.....

1/27/22 10:27 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

but its a good bargaining point  and the back fees from DMV......which i know you do not have to pay but a local buyer would.....

totally true.  For $2500, I could have this in TX for $400o total which might not be that bad if it's rust free and all there. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/28/22 11:55 a.m.

They are kinda neat, don't know where you would get new decals, etc but it looks complete. They are not fast.

1/28/22 1:48 p.m.

I found a few places online to get decals.  Anything with a V8 is easy to make faster given modern cams and computer controls.  It'd be nice to get a rough one like this to restomod.  It doesn't seem anyone is local to lay eyes on it though and help with the sale.

Does anyone know of a shipper that could handle the payment / paperwork?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/29/22 9:15 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Excited to see what responses you get here as I am also interested in a shipper. U-ship seems to have gone downhill and I can't afford Intercity!

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
1/29/22 4:43 p.m.

I'm in Orange County and could take a look. Sent you a pm with my phone number

miatafan
miatafan Reader
1/30/22 4:20 p.m.

Posting has expired, did you get it?

Our Preferred Partners
69rTxrzQItHMcvIaSm62timQ84vM14GqHrjlbwAbadfB2elYhZeIFMHmSRpEpyl7