redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/18/13 10:15 a.m.

I read through a few search results, and saw a few recommendations, but most results were a few years old at this point. Would folks still recommend the HF torque wrench? They just opened a store near us and was thinking of picking up a torque wrench for some smaller DIY projects (cooling stuff, belts, etc.) I would love snap-on or similar, but I have other allocations that my $ has to go to at the immediate moment.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 10:17 a.m.

Depends on budget.... if REALLY on a budget, then HF. Garagejournal seems to be impressed at how relatively accurate they are. I use 'em with no problems yet.

If in between HF and snapon, but closer to HF, the Gearwrench units go on sale fairly often if you shop around. I've seen the 1/2" drive ones in the $60-$70 range.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/18/13 10:21 a.m.

I use a HF wrench. Nothing has failed yet.

ransom
ransom UberDork
9/18/13 10:23 a.m.

Everything I've heard says the HFs are dandy. I haven't had mine calibrated, I've just gone with it. No issues yet, for what that's worth.

I bought it after the third time in a row I'd have had to be a contortionist to read the needle-type Craftsman while using it...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/18/13 10:26 a.m.

My next torque-wrench will be one of the Gearwrench versions with the built-in torque-angle function, since I use that function for TB changes on the TDI.

A split-beam is good for general DIY use and has the advantage of not having to reset to 0 when not in use, so when swapping wheels you can leave it ready to go in the drawer. However, the accuracy tolerance isn't quite as good (4% vs. near 2% for other types).

The most important thing is to treat it like the delicate instrument it is.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/18/13 12:04 p.m.

Kobalt torque wrenches are under $80 and have a lifetime, bring-it-back-to-the-store-for-an-immediate-replacement warranty.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/18/13 12:09 p.m.

Craftsman 1/2" (ft lbs) and 3/8" (in. lbs) clickers work well, bought on sale.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/18/13 12:33 p.m.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=544453

use any breaker bar or ratchet

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
9/18/13 12:37 p.m.

wow...that's cool. Does it have a 'beep' in case you can't look at it?

edit: reading comprehension.

trucke
trucke Reader
9/18/13 3:41 p.m.

I use the HF torque wrench. It has lasted way longer than my Craftsmen. Even had the craftsmen rebuilt. HF's are great and cheap!

Get an HF coupon. Car & Driver usually has an ad. Should cost only $10 for ½-drive.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:42 p.m.
trucke wrote: I use the HF torque wrench. It has lasted way longer than my Craftsmen. Even had the craftsmen rebuilt. HF's are great and cheap! Get an HF coupon. Car & Driver usually has an ad. Should cost only $10 for ½-drive.

I think i paid $26 for all three HF sticks. Even at "close enough" range, they're worth it for that alone.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/18/13 3:45 p.m.

I've had a HF one for years. It's been fine, and has even helped put together a few engines. Yes, they still run.

There was a Torque Wrench test I read somewhere a while back (in Car Craft or Hot Rod?) and they named the HF one the most accurate of a field that included Craftsman, Snap-On, and others. They were extremely surprised.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/18/13 5:06 p.m.

Craftsman no longer warranties torque wrenches for life like they to their other hand tools. If I remember, it is only a year. I had gone through 3 of them in the past with non-professional (home-owner) use. They're crap.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
9/18/13 6:06 p.m.

last time I bought a hf one it wouldn't hold the right torque, I had two of them do the same thing. I suppose they are better now.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/18/13 6:43 p.m.

Twin beam ones are perhaps not as accurate, but as the best for holding their calibration. That makes them very good for checking the calibration on other units.

Drill a 1/2" hole near the end of 2' of 2x2 tubing, insert bolt, weld nut onto bolt so it turns freely. Clamp tubing in vice so click-type torque wrench goes underneath and the handle touches the vice jaw. Apply torque to top with beam type wrench, comparing the beam reading to when the click happens. Not good enough to certify a wrench, but if that is all you use the beam wrench for it'll let you know when the calibration on your clicker begins to drift.

Calibration is typically at 20%, 50%, and 80% of full scale, and repeat at least 3 times at each. Beam and dial types are only calibrated one direction.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/18/13 6:51 p.m.

The best one is the one that is calibrated, no matter the manufacturer and its cost.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/18/13 10:00 p.m.

I use a HF 1/2" torque wrench about 60 times a day (not me personally but in my shop). They are tested once every three days and I have to say that I throw one out every other month. For 9.99 that's a heckuva deal. The Matco 1/2" one we use gets checked twice a day and is used for more precise readings but also at least 60 times a day and I replace or warranty repair those every six months or so at +- $150.

Your results may vary.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/18/13 10:03 p.m.

I should mention that I never have a HF wrench last longer than six months and I have one Matco that has been in use for 28 months without a rebuild and checks out on a calibrated gauge spot on in standard three panel #lb test. If you use it once in awhile I can't see the HF wrench letting you down.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/18/13 10:12 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I use a HF wrench. Nothing has failed yet.

+1 here. I have access to a snappy-on brand one that costs the sort of money that can buy you a life changing experience hunting humans for sport in Africa and damn if the $19 HF clicker doesn't go off at the same place when I hook 'em together and pull.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
9/18/13 10:57 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=544453 use any breaker bar or ratchet

Get the HF one for 32 after a 20% off coupon. link

Have a craftsman from the early 90's, is nice.

I bought the HF 9.99 special a few years ago as I needed to torque some wheels away from home, and for 9.99....

The craftsman wrench feels nice and has a quality feedback feel. It always clicks when applying torque, could be off a little, but always works.

The 9.99 harbor freight wrench feels cheap and works most of the time. Sometimes when I'm torquing lugs I get to a point where I "feel" like it should have "clicked," back off and re-try and there it is. I'm sure this hurts accuracy, but when it works 80% of the time the first time it is accurate, if you are leaning on it waiting for a click you might do some damage if your not used to the feel.

The add-on digital torque gauge is neat-o.

It has both a color change LED, and an audible beep. It beeps when your applying torque and makes a steady noise when you hit your pre-programmed torque.

The only complaint of the HF digital meter is the use, it is complex to set-up. Do not loose the directions. Like programming a vcr, good luck.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/18/13 11:19 p.m.

I've got something like this (not sure if it's this exact model):
Snap-On torque wrench

It's super nice, but I kinda wish I would have gone with a cheaper one and used the $215 or so that I spent on it for some other tools.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
9/19/13 3:43 a.m.

X2

Toyman01 wrote: I use a HF wrench. Nothing has failed yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZzb1QxdHIk40pDcdk5DnU73hnwX7v6QYXuZW95At6BfBHM9oRfiy1OFtn2zLCye