1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 10:03 a.m.

Hey Bob,

I am needing a replacement part for my 2011 dammit, my rear struts are failing after just 150K, damn junk Korean cars

What are the best option?

I drive it just a bit and carry a lot of people.

I dont beat on it, but I dont baby it.

I will replace all 4.

Steve

photo 012_zpsc68dcbe0.jpg

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 10:04 a.m.

I'm not bob but I will say when my struts failed in my ms3- I went ahead and went to full coilovers.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 10:06 a.m.

Not sure there are any for this car, Koni couldn't help either

Not the same as the Veloster unfortunately

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/19/13 10:13 a.m.

There are lots of coilover kits depending on what you want. Not much in the way of replacement struts though unfortunately. In fact, my K-Sports are Elantra K-sports with Megan Forte tophats.

The rear shocks from Koni will work but that still leaves the front as sucky. I have the adjustable upper mounts for the Elantra if you want/need down the road

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/19/13 10:18 a.m.

Honestly.... this is probably the most cost efficient option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-RACING-2011-ELANTRA-EZ-STREET-COILOVERS-ADJUSTABLE-SHOCKS-STRUTS-COILOVER-/190982262474?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c776e0eca&vxp=mtr

soft enough springs, under $700 shipped, etc.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/19/13 10:23 a.m.

Buy a new hyundai?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/19/13 10:30 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: ... damn junk Korean cars

Never have truer words been spoken.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

How have the reviews been on those?

Will they handle the constant abuse I give the car, not track/race just lots of rough roads and full loads?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/19/13 10:34 a.m.

OEM?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/19/13 10:35 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: OEM?

This.

I can't imagine clients appreciating the Megan ride.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 10:36 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:

150K, 1 set of plugs, a cabin filter and an air filter.

First worn parts are these shocks.

Still has the OEM brake pads, just checked them and there is still plenty of meat,

Not bad for a $17K junker when new.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
12/19/13 10:55 a.m.

Looks like I may be buying one of these for 15.5k out the door soon. I hope mine would fall apart ad fast as yours has

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/19/13 11:22 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
150K, 1 set of plugs, a cabin filter and an air filter. First worn parts are these shocks. Still has the OEM brake pads, just checked them and there is still plenty of meat, Not bad for a $17K junker when new.

Lucky bastage!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/19/13 8:21 p.m.

my last Hyundai I put 140,000 miles on. Went through one set of brake pads, three sets of tyres, and two front wheel bearings.. and this was a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon, nothing like the new hyundais

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/19/13 11:33 p.m.

Sounds to me like the OEM option has served you well. It's also simple and cheap.

The wear and tear you are imposing is about tonnage, not G's. You might be asking the wrong guys!

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
12/20/13 1:33 a.m.

Hyundais are not "junk" cars, this isn't the 90s and there are no statistics backing any claims that GM or Ford are any better in terms of reliability. I'm sure they are better than German brands as well in that category and I KNOW they have been ranked higher than Mitsubishi and Nissan. These cars are also inexpensive and cheap to maintain and their OEM parts cost pennies.

What's weird is I saw a Consumer Reports article that rated Kias much higher. Despite what people think they are not the same brand, Hyundai only partially owns Kia almost like Toyota with Subaru.

I would definitely buy a Hyundai or Kia, but they have the problem where they don't make a car I want to buy which is true for Mitsubishi, Toyota,and Honda as well. Genesis comes close but the 370z/Genesis type cars are behind their rivals IMO.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/20/13 8:11 a.m.

I put close to 170,000 miles on a first generation Excel. This also included quite a few amateur rallies here in the Pine Barrens (and my just bombing the fire roads)

It's only real failure in all that... the Transmission went at 150,000 miles. Yes, it needed tons of tyres and brakes, but was still on the original clutch when the transmission was replaced.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/20/13 8:31 a.m.
kanaric wrote: Hyundais are not "junk" cars, this isn't the 90s and there are no statistics backing any claims that GM or Ford are any better in terms of reliability. I'm sure they are better than German brands as well in that category and I KNOW they have been ranked higher than Mitsubishi and Nissan. These cars are also inexpensive and cheap to maintain and their OEM parts cost pennies. What's weird is I saw a Consumer Reports article that rated Kias much higher. Despite what people think they are not the same brand, Hyundai only partially owns Kia almost like Toyota with Subaru. I would definitely buy a Hyundai or Kia, but they have the problem where they don't make a car I want to buy which is true for Mitsubishi, Toyota,and Honda as well. Genesis comes close but the 370z/Genesis type cars are behind their rivals IMO.

The bolded part is only part true. The Sonata/Optima are the same chassis/drivetrain and built at the same plant. The Elantra/Forte, Accent Rio, Sorento/Sante Fe etc. They're more like Acura/Honda or Toyota/Lexus.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/20/13 8:32 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I put close to 170,000 miles on a first generation Excel. This also included quite a few amateur rallies here in the Pine Barrens (and my just bombing the fire roads) It's only real failure in all that... the Transmission went at 150,000 miles. Yes, it needed tons of tyres and brakes, but was still on the original clutch when the transmission was replaced.

1986-92 were absolute junk. 92-95 not so bad.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/20/13 8:37 a.m.

If you've done 150k in 2-3 years I wouldn't go with anything but OEM. You're doing 50-75k miles a year, to do that you are doing a lot of driving, I'd say comfort wins 11 times out of 10 over performance.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/20/13 8:55 a.m.

Korean cars are not junk! Take the 2014 Kia Rondo for example!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/13 9:33 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

I think you missed his sarcasm.

Steve doesn't think Hyundais are junk.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/20/13 2:57 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I put close to 170,000 miles on a first generation Excel. This also included quite a few amateur rallies here in the Pine Barrens (and my just bombing the fire roads) It's only real failure in all that... the Transmission went at 150,000 miles. Yes, it needed tons of tyres and brakes, but was still on the original clutch when the transmission was replaced.
1986-92 were absolute junk. 92-95 not so bad.

Mine was an 88. Was as reliable as any car could be

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/20/13 3:03 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to kanaric: I think you missed his sarcasm. Steve doesn't think Hyundais are junk.

I was about to point this out too......as I was still baffled/confused by the point of the rant.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/20/13 3:13 p.m.

If you do decide to go with stockers, I'd highly recommend popping on some H&R springs at the same time. I absolutely LOVED mine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
odBgnRjsWvxfouAZWlo86YRv6mIlo9mI8Wfudp5e7JU2HfAVArQJAwhjgDE8QnKb