1 2 3
singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/4/15 3:29 p.m.

I bought a 65 mustang coupe that's been stored since 92.It has no engine or trans but is an original 6 cylinder automatic car.I plan to update the front and rear suspension to V8 spec.I'd like to do an engine swap of some sort.I'd like an engine with 300+ horsepower that would fit under the hood.Thought about an LS or maybe even a more modern import sports car engine,possibly turbo 4 or 6 cylinder.Any suggestions appreciated.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
5/4/15 3:32 p.m.

2JZ, then sell to a Fast and Furious franchise fan for far too much and purchase the original V8 car that you really want.

bgkast
bgkast UltraDork
5/4/15 3:34 p.m.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1322-coyote-engine-swap/

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/4/15 3:41 p.m.

Anything is more acceptable than another ls juan swap.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
5/4/15 3:56 p.m.

Turbo rotary

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
5/4/15 3:58 p.m.

I'd be really tempted by an s54 swap (e46 m3).

Bonus point for keeping the original engine config (straight 6).

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/4/15 4:07 p.m.

Bejeezus, keep it blue oval anything other than SBC or its related ilk.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/4/15 4:14 p.m.
bgkast wrote: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1322-coyote-engine-swap/

Was going to say the same. Here is one that I know of personally since it is going on around the corner from my place. Requires aftermarket front suspension. I think that was about $1300 hub-to-hub from Summit Racing. If t does not have to be a Coyote, there are lots of truck engines around for cheap.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/4/15 4:14 p.m.

The Ford Truck 6.2L is my most likely choice when I have the funds for a motor swap on my Galaxie. You can get an entire wrecked truck for 3k if you dont mind traveling. This will require a front suspension swap to get narrow towers. Any OHC V motor will though.

Another fun option for a mustang is an SHO V6. Easily makes as much power as a 289/302 but will run 8500 rpm basically stock. I have one of these motors but no car small enough for it aside from my long term challenge project.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/4/15 4:16 p.m.

OOOOooo, run flared fenders and a 03+ crown vic front suspension. Disks, rack and pinion, mounts for a Mod motor all for a few hundred dollars.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
5/4/15 4:24 p.m.

A 2.3L ecoboost would really move a lightweight like an early Mustang.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/4/15 4:38 p.m.

Damnit! My dad has a 65 coupe that is just sitting in his shed. Now I need to talk him into passing it down a little early. This place is constantly putting evil ideas that will get me divorced in my head!

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/4/15 4:48 p.m.

It would not be the cheapest, most powerful, or best bang for the buck...But in an early Mustang, I would want to build either:

1) Ford 200/250 + Classic Inlines (or Aussie) aluminum head + MS3X + motorcycle based ITB's.

2) Aussie crossflow Ford I6.

3) Ford 300.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/15 5:16 p.m.

Buy a mid 80's GT and a case of PB Blaster?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
5/4/15 5:24 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: A 2.3L ecoboost would really move a lightweight like an early Mustang.

If money isn't an issue, this is what I would do.

If money is an issue, a turbo Lima 2.3 should be easy and fairly cheap.

One of the more recent FoMoCo 4 cylinder engines (duratec or zetec, not sure which one is which) would be a happy medium, good power, and lighter than a Lima, less expensive & technically challenging than a ecoboost.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/4/15 5:51 p.m.

Not that hard to put a NASCAR type 351 Windsor in it... 800hp. Or detune it a bit for a nice driving 450hp

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/4/15 5:59 p.m.

How about a 3.7l out of a current Mustang? That's 300hp right away.

Even an earlier 3.5l would be a good one.

Both are nice and light aluminum engines.

(the easiest thing would, indeed, be a 302 or 351- since they are basically the spawn of the 289)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/4/15 6:36 p.m.

The easiest and biggest bang for the buck would be a 302 Ford, or for a little more money a stroker 302 - like a 347. They're pretty inexpensive and will drop in. You can get crate engines from most anywhere - Ford, Summit, Jegs, or just look in the ads in the back of Hot Rod magazine. A 351 has a taller deck than a 302 block, so will be a tighter fit. The Coyote is a cool engine but as mentioned you have to pretty much chop the front end off the car and replace it with all new suspension.

Will
Will SuperDork
5/4/15 6:52 p.m.

Do you want an engine swap that will get done faster, cost less, and be much easier, or one that will make people drool?

If the former, choose a Windsor-based small block. They work, they're reliable, they make good power, and it's a well-documented swap.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that you want the latter. A Windsor swap in my 57 T-Bird would have been infinitely easier than my mod motor swap, but the DOHC looks like the business in the engine bay.

These days, the Coyote is the new hotness, obviously.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/4/15 6:57 p.m.

351w with a 268 cam and a t5 is a great sleeper set up ! Just make sure the rear end is up to snuff.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
5/4/15 7:02 p.m.

SHOnuff

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/4/15 7:33 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: How about a 3.7l out of a current Mustang? That's 300hp right away. Even an earlier 3.5l would be a good one. Both are nice and light aluminum engines.

This. The 3.7 into an earlier mustang would be awesome

Ojala
Ojala HalfDork
5/4/15 7:51 p.m.

One of the Mustang ideas kicking around the back of my head is a turbo volvo white block i5 or i6. That and an an audi quattro swapped mustang.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/4/15 7:54 p.m.
Cooper_Tired wrote:
alfadriver wrote: How about a 3.7l out of a current Mustang? That's 300hp right away. Even an earlier 3.5l would be a good one. Both are nice and light aluminum engines.
This. The 3.7 into an earlier mustang would be awesome

That is what I would want to do.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/4/15 7:54 p.m.

F2T with a Probe valve cover.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EDFzEiZlkRCrckW84BK0FdzoL7vynOggbGCpd88tWO2X0SUSFbD7U02NxnVVuLg5