1 2
rotard
rotard Reader
7/25/11 11:10 a.m.

I checked it out more today. The interior is more worn than the pictures indicate, and the rubber seal around the doors is in poor shape. The plastic on the door fell down as soon as I opened it. It's a cool car, for sure, though.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
7/25/11 11:48 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: My daughter just told me her friend with a C5 Z06 wants to sell it for 13K which is payoff for it. I've ridden it in and wow it's quick. Even has a 6-speed manual. One thing I don't really care for is the nitrous kit installed though.
Take it! If you don't buy it, put them in touch with me, I'll drove to Alabama to get a deal like that. Who cares about the nitrous, just remove it later. (Assuming it's not already blown up from it.)

for tht kind of money just get an LS3 from GMPP and be done with it. GMPP offers an LS6 as well but I wouldn't bother with it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/25/11 12:10 p.m.

This boils down to what you want with the car. Cool cruiser? ZR1. Track car? C5Z. Both? Grand Sport C4

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
7/27/11 9:22 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: My daughter just told me her friend with a C5 Z06 wants to sell it for 13K which is payoff for it. I've ridden it in and wow it's quick. Even has a 6-speed manual. One thing I don't really care for is the nitrous kit installed though.
Take it! If you don't buy it, put them in touch with me, I'll drove to Alabama to get a deal like that. Who cares about the nitrous, just remove it later. (Assuming it's not already blown up from it.)

It's not blown up. I think the Nitrous is mainly for looks, he doesn't seem to like to use it. Complains about filling cost, it's a big bottle. And he regularly autocrosses the car (w/o nitrous).

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/27/11 9:45 p.m.
rotard wrote: I checked it out more today. The interior is more worn than the pictures indicate, and the rubber seal around the doors is in poor shape. The plastic on the door fell down as soon as I opened it. It's a cool car, for sure, though.

Yeah, no. Not worth $20k for sure. I do like the C4 ZR1s, though. There is an older gentleman who autocrosses his C4 ZR1 regularly with New England SCCA and he is damned fast. The LT5 may be finicky, but it sounds fantastic at WOT! I loves me some high-revvin DOHC V-8 action!

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/27/11 10:41 p.m.

G. Gordon Liddy had one so you know its gotta be good....

http://www.liddyshow.com/video

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/28/11 9:00 a.m.

As something to drive and take to a track? C5 Z06.
As something to own and sell someday to put your kids through college? C4 ZR-1

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/29/15 8:02 a.m.

I always liked the way a C4 looks, but if I wanted to thrash the hell out of it, you could pick up a decent C4 and mod it to similar performance for less money. Of course like someone mentioned before, the ZR1 is likely to fund a house or college someday, the basic C4 will still be almost free.

Compared to a C5 Z06, I'd probably still take the ZR1 just to be different.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
9/29/15 8:46 a.m.

In reply to ARDUNFAN:

Nice 4yr necropost....and it is the only corvette since the 1950's to use a proper modern era engine....except GM then got scared of change and went back to pushrods.

NickD
NickD Reader
9/29/15 8:52 a.m.

The ZR1 has that C4 styling (which I hate) and a terrible interior (both stylistically and ergonomically), plus the LT5 looks like a miserable piece to work on (Can you even still get parts for that thing?) I'd much rather go with the C5 Z06.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
9/29/15 9:02 a.m.

ZR1s are increasing in value, yes, but will never reach stratospheric levels because so many of them were barely driven. Almost none of them were wrecked, run into the ground, parted out, or turned into race cars, so nearly all of them are still around, in factory condition, with somewhere between 20k and 80k on the clock.

Z06's actually stand more to gain over time as a much higher percentage of them are raced, wrecked, or have crazy modifications.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
9/29/15 9:14 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to ARDUNFAN: Nice 4yr necropost....and it is the only corvette since the 1950's to use a proper modern era engine....except GM then got scared of change and went back to pushrods.

Nothing wrong with that....it sure as hell works for them.

I will echo the same as others on here though that the LT5 sounds absolutely amazing at WOT. We had one at a dyno day and just the sound made me want one. IMO the c4 ZR1 is a very cool and unique car.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
9/29/15 9:20 a.m.
a401cj wrote: FWIW (nothing) a C5Z can hang with a squid on a 600cc bike. Found this out today when driving home on a torturous two lane. Dude in full riding suit with a muffler so big I could stick my fist in it looks behind (mirrors stripped for the track I guess) then goes full squid on me. Couple miles later he looks back again and is surprised that I'm still there . I too was surprised that in 3rd gear I could hang with him coming out of the bends. A liter bike would have been a different outcome

Did that to a guy with my FD3s 16 years ago in the Ozarks. Same road I went by a LEO @ 3x the posted speed limit... I was a dumb 20 year old.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/29/15 9:25 a.m.

Buy the ZR-1. Drive it until the engine blows up. Swap in C5 Z06 engine. Enjoy. Keep the remnants of the ZR-1 engine under the workbench in your garage. Haul it all to Barrett Jackson in 2025. Get all of your money back. Enjoy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/29/15 5:07 p.m.

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? LT5 in a Stalker body. I'd call it the Super-Duper Stalker.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/30/15 11:52 p.m.

I think this is a new record folks!

Noob manages one post to the forum before he posts a "my feelings are hurt" and leaves.

ARDUNFAN wrote: Some of the comments in this thread are just crap. I'm more than willing to share some info on the ZR-1 and the LT5 but once this turns into a pissing contest,I'm outta here.
RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/1/15 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

A real Lotus Engine in a Lotus style body! Brilliant!

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/1/15 9:31 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? LT5 in a Stalker body. I'd call it the Super-Duper Stalker.

I like the way you think. So, anyone have a LT5 laying around?

in reply to WOW, one problem with the LT5 was size, it is a massive engine. I've seen one on an engine stand next to a 502 BBC, it was slightly bigger than the 502. Imagine what a C5 would have looked like with a much higher hood line.

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
10/1/15 10:37 a.m.

A couple of years back I saw a low mileage one go for $16500 on Barrett Jackson.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/1/15 10:56 a.m.

When I shouldn't be looking, I seem them cheaper than $20k...in the capper spot....fwtw.

1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1-6spd Green - $14000 OBO (Spring)

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5217355351.html

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
10/1/15 12:30 p.m.
Woody wrote: Buy the ZR-1. Drive it until the engine blows up. Swap in C5 Z06 engine. Enjoy. Keep the remnants of the ZR-1 engine under the workbench in your garage. Haul it all to Barrett Jackson in 2025. Get all of your money back. Enjoy.

This is the only option that make perfect sense

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/1/15 1:33 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro:

I don't dispute that, just taking a jab at GM's love of pushrods.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/1/15 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

Well, don't forget 4 years have past since the original post.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
10/4/15 8:11 p.m.

That's a nice looking car, my Dad just gave me his '91 nonZR-1, for my birthday last week. Same colors all original even the tires, which will get replaced in the spring. I think 25 year old tires are really pushing it. :P

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ud4KIuCHPxWmIkuzKFLTI0b9yP0t266J2Z5rphccQreajyO4ehCCIpxyqTKL88on