1 2 3
JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
12/1/13 6:12 p.m.

First thought was all pure 80's...GLH-S, MR2 (supercharged), McLaren Capri/Mustang, SVO...'84 GT 350 (either turbo or convertible), SSP cars, Thrifty rental CSX's...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/1/13 6:33 p.m.

I bought a 1980 Chevette and more than doubled it's value by filling the tank.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/1/13 6:57 p.m.

with the BMW E30 and Saab 900.. the convertible will always be more collectable. Same with the VW Cabriolets

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
12/1/13 7:23 p.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: Fox bodies are going to start appreciating like crazy. A 5.0, 5mt, notch is part of my retirement plan.

This makes me happy to hear since I bought one this year. I paid $5k for mine. See my garage for pics. Stock 5 spd, notch.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
12/1/13 7:30 p.m.

The trick with that is to make sure you keep it close to stock. As a collector/investment, mods tend to bring it down in value.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/1/13 7:38 p.m.

I seriously doubt the ability to predict with any degree of accuracy $5000 vehicles which can double in 5 years.

Especially when the only criteria is the make and model.

There are way too many variables.

But, this iS a pretty cool list of cars.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/1/13 9:06 p.m.

You guys may be surprised by this, but i think most of the higher-trim Chrysler K-cars fit the bill. <5k buys you show-quality versions of most of them right now, but they are increasing in value at all the auctions, pretty quickly too.

For example, right now if you bought an immaculate 1985 Chrysler Town and Country woodgrain turbo convertible for 5k, you could probably auction it for 10k in 5 years. That goes for many of the k-based cars.

I really agree with the condition thing. That's why i think the top-spec K-cars actually fit this bill better than many of the other stuff mentioned: 5k gets you a top-quality car right now.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/1/13 9:09 p.m.

that is why I mentioned the convertible versions of the E30, C900, and VWs. If you look online to buy these cars.. the Convertables command higher prices than the hardtops.. plus there are actually more of them than the tintops

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
12/1/13 9:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I bought a 1980 Chevette and more than doubled it's value by filling the tank.

LOL. I used to have one of those. It died a spectacular death on the freeway. There was a big WHAM from the "engine" compartment. I looked in the mirror and there were lots of pieces bouncing along down the freeway. That was the end of it. Road & Track called the Chevette "The most backward car produced by a forward nation."

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/1/13 9:20 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: Road & Track called the Chevette "The most backward car produced by a forward nation."

Which somehow implies there are "more backward" cars, by "backward nations".

Methinks there is a Yugo slam hidden in that statement.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
12/1/13 10:03 p.m.

Other than the 240Z and maybe the fat Mustang, I don't think there is a car on your list that will appreciate in real dollars. All of the others appeal to a very small group, and won't likely develop a broader appeal.

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
12/1/13 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy: Can't think of any real collector car that has much broad appeal. Not really a factor. Collector cars are about being unique, not mainstream. There is no doubt that all of those cars will appreciate. How much can certainly be debated.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
12/1/13 10:42 p.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
12/2/13 5:29 a.m.

Not going to happen.

Best bet is to buy any of those cars (actually works for any car) then break it down into its smallest constituents and put them on e-bay.

The only way to win the classic car sweapstakes is to buy the best car that you can find that was restored -5-10 years ago and is still in good shape. You will need to make sure that it was WELL restored before you buy (that where this game ussually goes wrong)You should be able to get the car for about 50-60% of what the owner has in to it. Ask forreceipts and pictures.

Now you can drive and care for that car for 5 years or so and if you took good care of it, you can sell it on for what you paid. Car ownership does not get any better than free.

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
12/2/13 7:32 a.m.

Ah, but it does get better than free. You just can't deal in pristine restored cars unless it's a classic Ferrari that you can put away in a heated and cooled garage. The desirable cars purchased before restoration are your best bets. And, yes, the person who does the restoration always loses money. Don't be that person.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/2/13 7:36 a.m.

People make money on cars?

Mind blown.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
12/2/13 7:57 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Good luck finding a cheap 240Z that isn't a POS. POSes rarely appreciate significantly.

Exactly.

Hardest part will be finding a non-POS anything on this list that is rust free. Then again, that's probably what will make them valuable... finding the survivor.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/2/13 8:12 a.m.

MK1 MR2 Fiero - particularly late model GTs

Bi-Turbo? Buy one now for $150 and if it's worth $300 in 5 years simply due to metal prices, you've doubled your cash.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/2/13 8:19 a.m.

AW11 MR2s in GREAT shape are already asking for decent money, not sure if they are selling for it though.

Austin Healeys went through the roof a few years ago, not sure if the chrome bumper MGB will follow suit, but it seems reasonable that they could be $25K cars in the near future.

Wagoneers and Toyo Land Cruisers are going for crazy money theses days, along with early Broncos. I wonder if the OJ Bronco or even a Bronco II might be next?

My money would be on a 100% stock DSM, especially the Talon TSi. That's where I would spend a bit to relive the youth I never had.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/2/13 8:23 a.m.

I think these threads usually turn into "What won't depreciate a ton in 5 years?" or "What might be at the bottom of its depreciation curve?"

I think the following will be worth just as much, if not more in 5 years. All must be CLEAN (not necessarily stock) and in excellent condition.

• Z32 Slicktop
  • Z32-TT
  • 2nd Gen CRX
  • Integra GSR
  • 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo
  • 2nd Gen MR2 Slicktop
HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/2/13 8:46 a.m.

Who buys cars as investments?

Any car should be purchased to enjoy, I personally don't enjoy garage & trailer queens.

I can understand the notion of buying a clean car, enjoying it for a couple years, then moving on to something else, while making a small profit or breaking even, but going in with the intent of doubling your money is just crazy talk.

That being said, if you could find a clean stock or modestly & tastefully modded fox mustang or Capri for $5k, I think you'd have a shot at doubling. Good luck finding one though.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/2/13 9:09 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I think these threads usually turn into "What won't depreciate a ton in 5 years?" or "What might be at the bottom of its depreciation curve?" I think the following will be worth just as much, if not more in 5 years. All must be CLEAN (not necessarily stock) and in excellent condition. * Z32 Slicktop * Z32-TT * 2nd Gen CRX * Integra GSR * 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo * 2nd Gen MR2 Slicktop

I don't see the "Slick tops" being more desirable than the T-tops. There -was- a reason they sold more open/T tops than hard tops. You have to remember that people who buy collectable cars are buying "the dream" and running down the highway with the roof off and the wind blowing through their (thinning) hair is part of that dream.

Why do you think that BMW e30 Verts and Saab 900 Verts command more money than their tin top sisters?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
12/2/13 9:20 a.m.

944 NA?

FWIW, i haven't seen a decent '88 fiero GT stick for less than $5k in a long time.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/2/13 9:37 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I think these threads usually turn into "What won't depreciate a ton in 5 years?" or "What might be at the bottom of its depreciation curve?" I think the following will be worth just as much, if not more in 5 years. All must be CLEAN (not necessarily stock) and in excellent condition. * Z32 Slicktop * Z32-TT * 2nd Gen CRX * Integra GSR * 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo * 2nd Gen MR2 Slicktop
I don't see the "Slick tops" being more desirable than the T-tops. There -was- a reason they sold more open/T tops than hard tops. You have to remember that people who buy collectable cars are buying "the dream" and running down the highway with the roof off and the wind blowing through their (thinning) hair is part of that dream. Why do you think that BMW e30 Verts and Saab 900 Verts command more money than their tin top sisters?

Well, they are already more desirable in both cases above. They are far more rare.

Yani
Yani Reader
12/2/13 10:33 a.m.

I would suggest most 80's sports cars will only increase in value from here forward. Five years ago people were practically giving away good condition FC RX-7's. I've seen their value steadily increase over the last decade. Now $5-7k for a good specimen is a fair price. Between rust and boy racers, they are getting increasingly rare.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SGID4nisD0qOXdh1qmnuO3WqjfpL9dpGM2FaycxUndx0taB5yo8FvSmNjAKZZOBa