oldtin
oldtin UberDork
3/10/15 11:16 a.m.

What's out there cheap for longitudinal manual transaxles thinking mid engine-rwd, Audi, subi, boxsters with blown ims bearings?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau New Reader
3/10/15 11:20 a.m.

Subaru 5MT's from the 90s. You can take out the center diff, slice it up, and weld it in the right places and remove the rear output gears. Someone on this forum is/was building a 914 with a mid engine Subaru drivetrain.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
3/10/15 1:47 p.m.

Porsche 944, VW Passat, Audi 5000, A4's, A6's are all the usual donors for the DIY GT40/Lambo crowd. Just stay away from the Quattro boxes.

If you've got the means to get it to ya, I've got an Audi 016 (pretty sure it's an 016 anyways) from either an A4 or a Passat that you can have.

Not sure your application, but maybe this is relevant: http://guerillamotive.com/wordpress/?page_id=183

If you happen to grab a box from an Audi 5000 let me know. I've got a stainless reinforcement plate that should help it handle some abuse.

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
3/10/15 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

GREAT LINK!!! Gives me all sorts of bad ideas.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/10/15 2:26 p.m.

Subaru and Audi transaxles are what you're looking for - Subaru boxes having the more useful gear ratios and great aftermarket support.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Qiy3bHd418q1RwKMNfuHXG93YxqwQPbxuOWcfDPPTPua8l4I5I4XwcQjip6w6YD