3 4 5 6 7
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/29/21 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

It's been 60 years since I did algorithms. I knew I'd make mistakes ( hoped for a little understanding)   No I meant productivity would double. Yes  it's arbitrary. Some will do more some won't do as well.  
       But I think we agree that good motivated people will do better than  those at the bottom of the income ladder with no path up.  
      If your argument   is that I have no data to back up the gains.  I do and I've tried to give clear examples where double productivity is not only possible but frequently achieved.  I refer to both my Ford Motor company example and my own performance.  
      I know I'm not unique.  Most of my career I was either #1 or #2 salesman month to month or annually.  Those who pushed me started out as I did in non-productive territories and turned them completely around.  I know I'm not a slick tongued salesman quick with a thigh slapping joke like some who are successful.  I just did all I could to make my customers successful and they rewarded me with business. 
 Paying people by the hour is a new experience for me.  I've always worked on commission.  Being paid for my success. Not just because I was there. 
    Regarding hard working people. We are in total agreement.  Farmers fight not only weather but prices and costs and the bank and insurance etc. 80 hour work weeks are realatively easy. For them many work that and more. 
   Same with trades and heck a lot of jobs.  
 My Brother used to shock me with the hours he put in as a Doctor. 
      

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/29/21 6:57 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Sales are very different than loading boxes. If a person can only load X boxes per hour, paying them more does not magically make them able to load more than X. There is a very real physical limitation that any amount of pay to a person can not solve. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/30/21 12:51 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

It's been 60 years since I did algorithms. I knew I'd make mistakes ( hoped for a little understanding)   No I meant productivity would double. Yes  it's arbitrary. Some will do more some won't do as well.  
       But I think we agree that good motivated people will do better than  those at the bottom of the income ladder with no path up.  
      If your argument   is that I have no data to back up the gains.  I do and I've tried to give clear examples where double productivity is not only possible but frequently achieved.  I refer to both my Ford Motor company example and my own performance.  
      I know I'm not unique.  Most of my career I was either #1 or #2 salesman month to month or annually.  Those who pushed me started out as I did in non-productive territories and turned them completely around.  I know I'm not a slick tongued salesman quick with a thigh slapping joke like some who are successful.  I just did all I could to make my customers successful and they rewarded me with business. 
 Paying people by the hour is a new experience for me.  I've always worked on commission.  Being paid for my success. Not just because I was there. 
    Regarding hard working people. We are in total agreement.  Farmers fight not only weather but prices and costs and the bank and insurance etc. 80 hour work weeks are realatively easy. For them many work that and more. 
   Same with trades and heck a lot of jobs.  
 My Brother used to shock me with the hours he put in as a Doctor. 
      

Yes, and your prime example wasn't paying people more it was making the existing people more productive with the use of machines. 

I don't know why I even respond to this anymore. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/30/21 2:30 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Prime example?   I would think the prime example is Ford Motor company.  Henry Ford doubled the pay  of his workers and as a result he became the richest man in America.  
 I listed myself as an example where increased income caused  extremely positive results. 
   The exception I listed was to show that creativity could solve seemingly intractable problems. That creativity came from the motivation to improve the company I was already doing business with. Not from the owner or management. 
It is the very height of arrogance to believe all good ideas come from the CEO ( and probably why America is losing on the import export trade balance ).  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/30/21 2:43 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Sales are very different than loading boxes. If a person can only load X boxes per hour, paying them more does not magically make them able to load more than X. There is a very real physical limitation that any amount of pay to a person can not solve. 

You missed the solution offered earlier. UPS pays much better hourly wages, offers real benefits, has a Union to protect the workers from arbitrary firing and punishment.  
 While Fed Ex paid the least with no benefits and no Union protection. 
    Somehow UPS can afford to just about double the offering of working for Fed Ex.  So if you are a potential employee  who would you go to work for.  
   Frankly. If suddenly FedEx did double the pay  I'd still prefer to work for UPS because they have a history of valuing employees. 
    Now to your statement about handling packages?  Is the employee motivated or not?  We all know employees can hide out, dodge work, walk slow, etc to waste time.  On the other hand motivated employees do more,  solve difficult problems, create a positive work environment. 
     UPS offers $20/ hr Fed Ex $15/ hr  UPS benefits, Fed Ex no benefits,  UPS  Union , Fed Ex no Union.  
   Which would you work for if you're motivated ?   Who's going to go to work for FedEx? The motivated or the guy who can't get hired at UPS?  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/30/21 3:00 p.m.

This thread was more fun when it was us complaining about a company that's annoyed me.

wae
wae UberDork
9/30/21 3:36 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Well, FedEx insisted on not leaving my stuff on Tuesday...  I sat out here all day Wednesday and they didn't even attempt delivery...  and I've been waiting here all damned day and they just now got here.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
9/30/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I'm still waiting from Monday. Not stoked that my $225 boots are stuck in the "uh, I dunno" ETA.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/30/21 9:12 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

 

This thread was more fun when it was us complaining about a company that's annoyed me.
 

Make a drinking game out of it. Do a shot every time Frenchy contradicts himself or uses a 100 year old example. Then check yourself into AA. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/1/21 9:34 a.m.

USPS delivered a 2 day priority mail package to me yesterday in ELEVEN days.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
10/1/21 11:11 a.m.
docwyte said:

USPS delivered a 2 day priority mail package to me yesterday in ELEVEN days.

You sure it wasn't 11 day priority and not II day priority? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/1/21 11:35 a.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to dculberson :

 

This thread was more fun when it was us complaining about a company that's annoyed me.
 

Make a drinking game out of it. Do a shot every time Frenchy contradicts himself or uses a 100 year old example. Then check yourself into AA. 

Get off my lawn! 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/21 11:37 a.m.

Maybe they pick what day is the priority day!

I finally got my car parts quite some time after my initial rant, installed them, and fixed the car.  I guess I will have to prioritize harder between total cost or quick availability,  assuming a local parts store even has what I am after next time.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/1/21 1:40 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
docwyte said:

USPS delivered a 2 day priority mail package to me yesterday in ELEVEN days.

You sure it wasn't 11 day priority and not II day priority? 

They've got Spinal Tap working there

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/1/21 4:35 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

LOL!

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
10/2/21 6:02 a.m.

Google was nice enough to let me know about this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/mail-delivery-slower-usps-october-1/

Others to follow?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
10/2/21 9:44 a.m.

My turn nowsad My local FedEx delivery contractor is conscientious, polite and rapid. Too bad the Volvo P1800 parts that shipped from SC on Monday are sitting in Nashville now. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/8/21 10:50 a.m.

I got to the shop at 7:20 this morning.  At 9:10, I got an email from UPS that they attempted delivery of my package, but the business was closed.

That seems odd.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/21 11:45 a.m.

Thanks for reminding me that I ordered a BBK from Ohio on 9/24. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday here to WA. Any guesses where FedEx has it? Yup, still Ohio.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/8/21 12:36 p.m.

FedEx has been god awful. Had a shipment of 8 parts overnighted only 5 arrived on the pallet. Several other shipment multiple days late.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/8/21 12:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I got to the shop at 7:20 this morning.  At 9:10, I got an email from UPS that they attempted delivery of my package, but the business was closed.

That seems odd.

Showed up at 10:30.  Delivery guy was mildly confused.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/8/21 5:01 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I got to the shop at 7:20 this morning.  At 9:10, I got an email from UPS that they attempted delivery of my package, but the business was closed.

That seems odd.

Showed up at 10:30.  Delivery guy was mildly confused.

We had one awhile ago from FedEx "Delivery not attempted due to weather."

It was 80° and sunny, not a cloud in the sky and not windy for once. 

Also had them fail to deliver some kitchen stuff saying "No one at the front desk would accept the package."

We don't live in an apartment or gated condo community. It's a neighborhood full of single family homes.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
10/8/21 5:23 p.m.

I bought some factory OEM parts for my Kia. They shipped from South Korea via DHL. The shipment was picked up in Seoul on 6OCT. I just got the delivery notification a couple of hours ago. 2 days to ship from Korea? I'm impressed!

At the same time, I bought some parts off of eBay. They were shipped from Green Bay, WI using USPS on 06OCT. Those parts got delivered today, mere hours before the parts shipped from Korea.

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
10/8/21 10:18 p.m.

I get great service from FedEx? Both Express and Ground, everything is on time as promised even though we're in a rural area. Honestly slightly better service from Ground since it's the same driver on the route every single time, whereas Express gets shuffled around a bit between different drivers. My biggest complaint is minor; that we don't get hit the same time every day on the route. Same story with UPS, on time and as promised.

 

The actual worst? DHL, and even worse by an order of magnitude, OnTrac. Both are consistently late, usually with the package 'out for delivery' for many days in a row before they manage to actually add our address to the route. DHL has at least made it all the way to the house occasionally, and into the mailbox (illegally) if not, whereas OnTrac has repeatedly dumped stuff in the ditch a quarter mile from our house. 

 

USPS is obviously hot trash for both mail service and packages, but they have so many bureaucratic/staffing/organizational issues, both local and national, that I wouldn't know where to start. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/14/21 8:37 a.m.
dculberson said:

This thread was more fun when it was us complaining about a company that's annoyed me.

I haven't been here in a few pages, ooof.

I bought a cool light saber from a friend recently and had to order some accessories, they are being sent FedEx Ground.  Got the email Friday saying shipped and estimated delivery tomorrow by 10pm.  So far the tracking still says in Oregon on Tuesday (I'm in Ohio).  I'll check back here tomorrow eve...

3 4 5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
SdDHiU0cghTft2gdW6d0A0FXDzh9ennPJtMz6Aj6DE8QMybewL8aj0RTL6IyylJV