Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
6/28/22 9:46 p.m.

We moved into a new (to us) home at the end of last year and one of the advantages is having more property as we are in a slightly more rural area.

We have spent quite a lot of time and money on landscaping the yard and enjoy that many of our neighbors have old tractors and implements displayed in their yards.

Anyway, I'm not a farming guy but I do love things with wheels.  So I looked around on the internet for ideas.  Soon I found this idea:

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
6/28/22 9:56 p.m.

So I posed the above idea to my wife thinking she would tell me I was crazy.  She didn't.  She told me she thought it would be cool.  What the heck is wrong with that wonderful girl?

Anyway, my plan was to look around later in the year once we are better settled into the new place.   We have a seasonal camper to go to on the weekends and many other house related projects to tackle first.

However, once I get on the hunt I can't help myself.  I found a super cool 1956 Dodge stepside truck but it had sold.  Then I found this:

I was looking for one with a bad body that i wouldnt feel guilty about planting in my yard.  I really wanted a 50s or 60s stepside.

Meet my new acquisition:  a 1964 Ford F100 stepside.  The body and floors are definitely rusty.  The truck has a non running 5.0 Ford engine with C4 automatic trans behind it.  However the engine spins free so I suspect it could be revived.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
6/28/22 10:03 p.m.

I found this truck with a very motivated seller and only one town away.  I want to strip off the black paint to get to a highly patinaed (is that a word?) green finish.  

If there is anybody in CT building a challenge car and wants a 5.0/C4, I would let the powertrain go very cheaply if the person came and removed it themselves.  I want to lighten the truck up as much as possible before I roll it to its eventual resting spot.

I have no idea where I am going to park this thing as we currently have 6 cars in the driveway for 2 drivers.

Oh well, I'll worry about that tomorrow...

If anybody is interested in the powertrain please reply here.  Also if anyone wants to contribute some ideas on how to get rid of the crappy black paint in the easiest way I'm all ears.  I'm assuming I'm going to sand it to get the patina look I'm going for.

I'm also looking for the absolutely cheapest way to drop the truck front and rear.  I don't need it to be safe to drive, just steerable and low.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/29/22 7:40 a.m.

I don't know what you paid, but that is not an inexpensive vehicle now. I was involved in the 61-66 truck world for quite awhile. That is worth several thousand even with rusty floors. You'd be better off getting it running and flip it. If the front of the hood isn't all rusted through it's worth at least $500.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
6/29/22 8:05 a.m.
ddavidv said:

I don't know what you paid, but that is not an inexpensive vehicle now. I was involved in the 61-66 truck world for quite awhile. That is worth several thousand even with rusty floors. You'd be better off getting it running and flip it. If the front of the hood isn't all rusted through it's worth at least $500.

I agree, I've been looking for something like that as a candidate for a Crown Vic frame swap. But any that come up near me are too expensive for my budget. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
6/29/22 9:40 a.m.
Loweguy5 said:

Also if anyone wants to contribute some ideas on how to get rid of the crappy black paint in the easiest way I'm all ears.  I'm assuming I'm going to sand it to get the patina look I'm going for.

If it's just black rattle can you can try oven cleaner, not the fume-free kind. Spray it on and let it sit then pressure wash it off. It can take off the spray paint without touching the original paint.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
6/29/22 10:31 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

You think?  Now I'm a bit torn.  The interior is actually decent.  I originally expected to buy a completely rotten shell and this is a much more complete vehicle with a clean frame.  I'll take a look at the hood once I get it towed home.  

My ideal situation would be to part the truck challenge style and end up with the cab nose and bed for free or even make something at it.  But I am sensitive to robbing the world of a good old truck that could be restored too.

Maybe when I get it home I'll put some photos and description up in some F100 groups to see if somebody wants to pay decent money for the truck.  If so maybe my yard art search continues...

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/29/22 10:35 a.m.

That looks way to nice for yard art.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
6/29/22 10:48 a.m.
Noddaz said:

I was thinking the same thing. If I could get that running, I'd very happily drive it exactly as it looks!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/29/22 11:36 a.m.
Noddaz said:

Let it survive. Pass it on to a loving home. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
6/29/22 2:22 p.m.

Boy this is not the direction I thought this was going but I appreciate the input.

I'll give it a shot to be resold to someone who wants to shape and drive it.  I plan to tow it home next week.  I'll give it a better once-over and identify what I really have on my hands.

Thank you as always for fantastic input from a different perspective!

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
7/2/22 12:17 a.m.

A few things have happened since my last post.  I went back to the truck and looked it over more closely.

While the frame is pretty good (but crusty), the front wall and floor of bed were rusted and replaced with some poorly fitted diamond plate.  I saw this last time, but didn't really note that the dp was a replacement, not on top of the original.  The floors and lower front quarters are pretty rusty.

I posted the truck with an honest description on a big early f100 forum.  It appears thar nobody is all that excited about buying it as it has no title (it was sold to a salvage yard as scrap and CT doesn't issue titles for vehicles beyond 20 years old).

Mentally I'm headed back toward a destiny of yard art for the old girl.  I'll leave it posted on the web for several more days but don't be shocked to see the build thread here on this very forum!  Thanks again all.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
7/7/22 7:36 a.m.

It has arrived at the house and tonight I'll start trying to revive the green/patina finish under the satin black.  I talked with a local Ford truck fella and he thinks he knows another who might be interested in the truck.  I'll work on restoring the finish in the short term as I really want to see it free of all the black, and if a serious buyer materializes I'll sell it on and look for a rougher truck to display.

Our Preferred Partners
eJdx0T7mcUpb1pRyOQt5ove1HlXERngzFeXIBqP21QTQRi3eNrBAVxkBtoQp3FRt