1 2 3
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 11:41 a.m.

Generally I make goals for my challenge cars that I don't realistically have time for in life. That is why I'm making this thread to request your help(whoever is reading this). I was going to hold off on showing the fact that its already had the top cut off but I need help finishing. I'm going to be given time on Saturday September 30 and/or October 1st to work on the car between 8am-5pm. Food and refreshments will be provided (no alcohol it is at my place of business). Your name will be mentioned on my team page for my challenge build book. Please contact me if you can come text/call/email my number is Seven 1 Seven Three 24 nine sIx niNe two. Email Neuman . Andy gmail

Unfortunately for my challenge efforts, not unfortunate for me, I'm getting married on October 7 and going away for a week. I'll be back in time to get to Gainesville one day early to continue working on the car in the best western parking lot on Thursday before the event if anyone is available to help.

Summary  

Turn a Q45 into a Q”ute”45

September 30 and October 1st I could use as much help as possible. Current plan is to work on the car at 281 Kings Mill Road York, PA from 8am-5pm ish. Any help is appreciated.
October 19th at the Best Western in Gainesville.

The Concept

To do list, current status of the car and proposed team T-shirt

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/18/17 11:58 a.m.

Yaaaaaaaas.

Won't be able to make it, but can hopefully lend a hand right before challenge.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/18/17 12:03 p.m.

I'm in for Thursday at the Challenge. I'll go ahead and volunteer Chris and Lil Stampie. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 12:10 p.m.
wheels777 said:

If you're in a pinch we could try to get over.  But we are struggling to get our projects done.  If you need something cut, welded machined call me.  We could try to stop in or have someone bring it to us.  You know the addi.

If i end up needing your assistance I'll give you a call and haul the car over. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/18/17 12:14 p.m.

Where's the gas tank on that gen Q45?  My gas tank is behind the rear seat. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/18/17 12:23 p.m.

I'd be all over it, but sadly it's an 8.5 hour drive.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

same spot, my idea is to make it like a NASCAR truck series truck with the rear covered. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/18/17 12:29 p.m.

Just thought of something. If Pat hasn't thrown it away yet I have a truck topper from a Ranger at his house. We can use that to make it look like a pickup without making a true bed. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That would work. I'm going to go take a few more detailed photos later of some of the current issues. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/18/17 12:46 p.m.

Just go buy a big piece of coroplast and rivet it to the top of the bed rails if you are going for Nascar look. You will need a spoiler though (to complete the look).

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/18/17 12:47 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

I'd be all over it, but sadly it's an 8.5 hour drive.

But you could be a big part of both! You might be the closest to Andy of those that came here!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Do you have any lexan left from yours? I have a panel that could use lexan as a rear window. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/18/17 1:11 p.m.
Stampie said:

Just thought of something. If Pat hasn't thrown it away yet I have a truck topper from a Ranger at his house. We can use that to make it look like a pickup without making a true bed. 

Make it a "Farm Truck" replica from Street Outlaws tv show.  Gallon of orange paint, Stampie's  camper shell, and a dog and you're done.devil

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/18/17 1:19 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Robbie :

Do you have any lexan left from yours? I have a panel that could use lexan as a rear window. 

Yes, how big do you need? I might have something.

But also the stuff is cheap at lowedepot.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 1:29 p.m.

This is the Q45's biggest issue with having a pickup bed. I also have not dealt with the rear deck or the back of the rear seats yet. The panels I have for use are from old freezers. Most of my panels have these cutouts shown in the picture with one as a rear window. They could also be cut down to use as a tonneau cover for the truck. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
9/18/17 1:45 p.m.

AWESOME. I wish I could help like I did for Robbie's Saab, but I'm 9 hours away. 

If I were you, I'd make a flat plane just above the fuel tank and put a short 3"-ish wood bed rail around the perimeter. Or NASCAR truck series style with spoiler like was mentioned. Good luck!! Wish I could help!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 2:29 p.m.

The Farm truck look or the wooden bed wouldn't be a bad idea for this creation. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/18/17 2:30 p.m.

Let me know if you need pictures or dimensions off the cap

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/18/17 4:38 p.m.

Wheels, be careful making welding services available so close to me, I may have a job for you this winter if you have the time then. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/18/17 4:45 p.m.

If you have room for $275 in recovery the bed topper can be free to budget. Big question is what are the plans for roll protection?  Not sure it'll pass tech as is. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/18/17 5:55 p.m.

Only roll restriction should be if it runs faster than a 13.49.  If not I'll just make a roll bar with some pvc piping

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/18/17 7:56 p.m.

while it may be the easy button, I'm gonna be the downer and say I think Stampie's truck topper will look silly, and not nearly as good as the Nascar Truck bed/ spoiler.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/18/17 8:05 p.m.

I am down for assisting on Thursday in the parking lot 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/18/17 8:09 p.m.

Any plans to stiffen that thing up so the chassis doesn't tear apart from all of the removed bits? 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/18/17 11:15 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Any plans to stiffen that thing up so the chassis doesn't tear apart from all of the removed bits? 

We were talking about this while cutting the roof off my Saab. I took some measurements pre cut and will measure again post cut to see if.the car sits any different. The car definitely didn't seem to have any tension on the cuts while we were making them, but we did have the front on jackstands.

But we all wonder exactly what the real effect is. Sure, it's probably less stiff. But with rear doors welded shut, how much less stiff is it?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nz2JDZfcjulAc9g2dDXBugw4DZoSD2JNJvPd2w3UupzeLOZcrdkTOR1N5IcUDJAk