1 2 3
Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 2:00 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/18/21 2:11 p.m.

So, a bunch of people are doing something they think is fun or interesting - even if the end result is just getting together with like-minded enthusiasts. Does calling it a circle jerk and a huge waste of time really make the world a better place? It makes as much sense as driving a bunch of cars around traffic cones in a parking lot and declaring it a national championship.

It's got nothing to do with the cars. It's got everything to do with the people. The UK club scene is much stronger than that of the US.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/18/21 2:11 p.m.

Translation for those who don't want to click on the link:  It's an attempt to get 1000 Miatas/MX-5s together at Elvington Airfield in the UK.

If I was in the UK and owned one, I'd be there for sure.  It sounds like fun to me, but if you're not into going to enthusiast gatherings or car shows that's fine too.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 2:13 p.m.

Wow the negativity is strong on all sides today. Perhaps lunch time hasn't rolled around yet. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/18/21 2:26 p.m.

I'm just impressed that a thousand people are showing up to the event instead of complaining that it's too far from home and trying to organize one closer to their home to attend...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/18/21 2:28 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Wow the negativity is strong on all sides today. Perhaps lunch time hasn't rolled around yet. 

You called it a circle jerk and a huge waste of time, and it's everyone else who is negative? Lighten up, it's people enjoying themselves with ridiculous cars.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/18/21 2:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Vajingo said:

You called it a circle jerk and a huge waste of time, and it's everyone else who is negative? Lighten up, it's people enjoying themselves with ridiculous cars.

Seconded.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
6/18/21 2:30 p.m.
stuart in mn said: If I was in the UK and owned one, I'd be there for sure.  

How soft are your hands?

79rex
79rex Reader
6/18/21 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

agreed.  calling it a circle jerk seemed a little funny.  Adding your opinion on it being a waste of time wasnt needed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/21 3:03 p.m.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/18/21 3:07 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Keith Tanner said:
Vajingo said:

Seconded.

Thirded. Seems a bit odd to start a thread to share a link to something that you are not interested in, and declaring it a waste of time. Many Miata owners enjoy meeting up with other like minded enthusiasts, myself included:

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 3:20 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/18/21 3:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So, a bunch of people are doing something they think is fun or interesting - even if the end result is just getting together with like-minded enthusiasts. Does calling it a circle jerk and a huge waste of time really make the world a better place? It makes as much sense as driving a bunch of cars around traffic cones in a parking lot and declaring it a national championship.

It's got nothing to do with the cars. It's got everything to do with the people. The UK club scene is much stronger than that of the US.

And OP just did a brilliant job of demonstrating why. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
6/18/21 3:21 p.m.

Id agree that it's not my thing but that goes for most shows or rallys. The bike week or more recently truck week down here bring in tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. 

Probably a better crowd at this one. 

I also enjoy going to Wisconsin to spend too much money watching a football team. I can understand why people would think that's dumb too. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/18/21 3:21 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Wtf lmao. Get bent everyone. I'm entitled to an opinion on the matter. I even said that I see the hood in it. I said it wasn't my cup of tea, and you wanna attack me? GTY. All of you. 

No one said you weren't entitled to your opinion. Just like we are entitled to our opinion that yours sucks. wink

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Sounds like you get it. Whole point of this thread was for folks to discuss it, but, as usual, everyone wants to make it about some dumbass political thing. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/21 3:25 p.m.
Vajingo said:

In reply to Greg Voth :

Sounds like you get it. Whole point of this thread was for folks to discuss it, but, as usual, everyone wants to make it about some dumbass political thing. 

Nope, you did that all on your own. Congrats. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/18/21 3:32 p.m.

berkeley's sake, man.  No one is attacking you.  This isn't a political matter.  At most no one agrees with your characterization of what this event is, or how you chose to describe it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
6/18/21 3:34 p.m.

I mean, anything IRT meets like this can be called a "circle jerk". Matter of fact, I've heard that term used in reference to the Challenge by someone that didn't understand building $2000 cars to maybe win a little bit of shop equipment and a homemade trophy. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile use of your time.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 3:35 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/21 3:37 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

berkeley's sake, man.  No one is attacking you.  This isn't a political matter.  At most no one agrees with your characterization of what this event is, or how you chose to describe it.

Let him go. He's on a roll now. I mean now hes calling everyone here dense, mean and stupid. Anyone bring the popcorn for this meltdown?

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Just getting started. 

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/18/21 3:38 p.m.
Derick Freese said:

I mean, anything IRT meets like this can be called a "circle jerk". Matter of fact, I've heard that term used in reference to the Challenge by someone that didn't understand building $2000 cars to maybe win a little bit of shop equipment and a homemade trophy. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile use of your time.

This is right. And no one has to agree with someone that does or does not like it. Is it because I used the term "circle jerk"? Because let me tell everyone here- everyone on this forum is in one giant automotive themed circle jerk right now. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/21 3:39 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/18/21 3:43 p.m.

It's kinda cool that you can get 1000 of any one car in one spot.  It's a testament to Mazda and the Miata too.  Someone is doing something right.  If there is ever a 1000 people circle jerk......  I don't want to know anything about it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7l5xZd7DU3h3LF6YgyA1Q8qPeacJ2HpJEr2KU6lQvCO8bybNcGsTZnNe6uXgYPq1