gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
11/9/21 8:38 p.m.

Do any of you guys have their 1/4" drive air ratchet? I was thinking about getting one.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
11/9/21 9:05 p.m.

I got some HF coupons in an email the other day, and one of them was 25% off lighting stuff.  Since I had to go in there for something anyway, I perused the lighting options.  I have a couple of the 4' LED shop lights that work great, a small-ish flashlight that is good except it eats batteries, and a few other things that stink.  Looking around, I found this thing:

Braun 57187.  Magnetic base, light rotates as you might guess.  So far I love it.  3 different light outputs, strong magnet, rechargeable via USB, and perhaps my fav detail - 3 small grn lights on the back that show the state of charge.  I hope it holds up, because right now it's fantastic.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/10/21 7:01 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

I had one for a while, worked great, ended up upgrading to a Ingersoll Rand. 

12/6/21 9:52 a.m.

Air over hydo bottle jack plus harbor freight press is a thing of beauty

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
12/6/21 1:34 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Are the big ass Daytona jacks any good?  I need to get a new 3+ ton jack now that I've decided that my Craftsman Jack is officially kaput.

I am also curious about this. I'm looking at getting a low-pro long-reach model.

12/6/21 1:47 p.m.

I got a Dayton jack it's wonderful. Neighbor has 3 he uses for his tires business. They are a couple years old at this point and live a hard life and work perfectly. No issues from either of my us. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
12/6/21 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Good to hear - thanks for the feedback!

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
12/6/21 2:57 p.m.

I just bought the $100 440lb. electric hoist and the $30 brad and staple nail gun. Both work great.

18 Gauge 2-in-1 Air Nailer/Stapler 68019 alternate photo #1

440 lb. Electric Hoist with Remote Control 60346 alternate photo #1

I installed an attic stair and built a 2x3x4 box for sending and retrieving crap from the attic.

2/10/22 3:39 p.m.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-0-160-psi-inflator-tool-only-56546.html

Pass, but bring your own gauge. Works awesome, but gauge is a idea of working, not real numbers. 

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/1/22 11:32 p.m.

Saw horse fail. Rated for 350#, I had maybe 200# split evenly on 2, was fine for a few hours and came back to this pile:

Fully assembled: 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
6/2/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to daytonaer :

I had a bunch of sawhorses like the ones you posted above, back from when I was a new homeowner and had no idea just how useful sawhorses could be.  A year or so ago, out of sheer frustration with their nearly iconic lack of build quality, I broke down and bought replacements. Went to Lowes for their metal folding units, and realized once in-store, that they were blowing out the previous generation at 2-for-1 pricing. Not sure if they still have a deal like that going on, but even at the $40/ea they are asking for these, I can't recommend them enough. 

Just to keep this on topic, HF copied this style and sells them under their Bauer brand... for $15 more a unit! They're height adjustable, I guess, but that seems like more complexity for a feature I don't need. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
6/7/22 2:00 p.m.

I bought one of the purple paint spray guns that sell for about $15 at least ten years ago. I never used it until this weekend, I got it out to spray some shutters and patio furniture. I know nothing about spraying paint, but I thought it did great. Nice even coverage without making any runs. Big pass for me. It did such a good job I actually took the time to clean it afterward instead of just throwing it away when I was done.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/7/22 2:37 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Titanium Nitride Coated SAE Tap And Die Set: PASS

I posted earlier about the cheap tap and die set being pretty much useless, but this one is A LOT better. Taps and dies feel substantial and not made of cheap pot metal, and the die holder is heavy duty. The tap handle is meh, but that's to be expected and it got the job done. Also, this kit had the size I needed to de-booger my Chrysler 318 crank threads (3/4-16) which is hard to find locally by itself. Used it on a few things working on my truck over the weekend, and unlike the cheap kit, the taps and dies showed zero signs of wear, even when cleaning up Grade 8 hardware. I'm impressed, and will be getting the Metric set when I need one.

4lb Fiberglass Drilling Hammer: PASS

Hey, a hammer from the Hammer Store! Was working on a family friend's car doing brakes, and I forgot my trusty BFH at home. There was a HF store up the road, so this was purchased. I like the size and it swings nice, and the head hasn't flown off the handle (yet). Does hammer stuff. What more can you ask for?

I bought the original tap & dye set.  The tap handle broke pretty quickly....FAIL

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/1/22 9:59 p.m.

Any thoughts on the cheap electric pressure washer?

I dont know if I really need one, but I wonder if it'd be good for quickly cleaning some car bits here and there, as well as the driveway a little.

80 bucks.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/2/22 8:52 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Any thoughts on the cheap electric pressure washer?

I dont know if I really need one, but I wonder if it'd be good for quickly cleaning some car bits here and there, as well as the driveway a little.

80 bucks.

I have had one of those for many years. It is like a lot of HF tools. It works. It is useful. It is inexpensive and great for little jobs now and then. If you are going to be pressure washing driveways and sidewalks regularly, you probably want something bigger and more powerful (higher gpm and pressure).

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/2/22 10:26 a.m.

Black 100pk of zipties. Big Pass. Green wrap ties. They work to hold the cupboards shut from the cats. Pass.

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
7/3/22 12:27 a.m.

So far I definitely like the 60406 "10 Ton Portable Hydraulic Equipment Kit" [a.k.a Porto-Power(R), porta-power, portapower, etc.], however I have zero info about long-term durability.  The thing has at least worked for a half-hour of use well below its max capacity.  I really would have liked if the extension tubes came in the same length increments as the ram's travel.

I got it for just under $190 out the door after the current Fourth-of-July 20% off coupon.  There was a used one on CL but it wasn't enough cheaper to justify driving for 1.5 hrs, unless the older/ orange version is somehow significantly better.  Too late now.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/17/22 1:28 p.m.

Bauer power grease gun.  Big win so far.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/18/22 9:11 a.m.

PASS - Both the 1/4" and 3/8" drive flex head ratches are great, and have become my go-to. 

PASS - Bauer 20v Cordless 18 Gauge Brad Nailer

Normally I like to stick to one brand of batteries for cordless, Dewalt for 20v big stuff, Milwaukee M12 for smaller stuff. @$99 for the bare tool compared to ~$300 for a bare tool from Dewalt, I decided to give it a shot. It is heavy, but I'm not sure you can get away from that with a cordless nailer. Overall it has done really well. Also, battery seems to last quite a while. (5ah)

Tentative Pass - Bauer 20V Cordless angle grinder. 

When I got the nailer bare tool there was a promo for a brushless tool, 5ah battery, and "fast" charger for $100. I got 2 angle grinders because they're handy. Haven't put them to heavy use yet, but the little bit I have used them I have been happy with. 

PASS - Merlin Air Chuck

Every now and again is a tire is too low on air it doesn't want to work right, but for dually tires it's a lifesaver. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/18/22 9:31 a.m.

I just learned that HF makes a ratcheting breaker bar.  I can't help but think there is a different name for that.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
7/18/22 3:51 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I just learned that HF makes a ratcheting breaker bar.  I can't help but think there is a different name for that.

Are you referring to their 1/2" drive extendable ratchet? If so, I use it all the time and it is fantastic:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-extendable-ratchet-62311.html

moxnix
moxnix Dork
7/18/22 3:55 p.m.
mainlandboy said:
eastsideTim said:

Are you referring to their 1/2" drive extendable ratchet? If so, I use it all the time and it is fantastic:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-extendable-ratchet-62311.html

Nope 

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-18-in-ratcheting-breaker-bar-67957.html

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/21/22 4:22 p.m.

10 x 20 Portable Car Canopy

Ongoing saga... this finally failed, but it's really a pass.

I bought the canopy back in 2019, and it has been used to shade/cover part of our side yard where I keep parts and cars.  Most recently, it's been shading my Mk1 Capri.  When I first put it together, I added some durability mods found on YouTube.  Everything worked great for a long time, and last summer, the canopy fabric finally succumbed to a pretty serious storm.  

I figured 2 years in AZ sun was pretty good, so I replaced the fabric, and carried on.  We had a violent storm last night, strong enough to scatter garbage cans all over the street and even rip our patio screen door off.  The canopy appears to have died gloriously in battle, as this morning I found it in our neighbor's yard.

Amazingly, the fabric had a few edge tears, but was still intact.  The frame was not.  Fortunately, nothing else except a few fence pickets were damaged.

So, while this canopy ultimately failed, the fabric is good for 2 years in the AZ sun (win), and it took a nasty thunderstorm to wipe it out (also a win, IMHO).

I guess it's time I finally build the permanent structure I've been putting off for three years...

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/21/22 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I'm not far from you, in Cottonwood, and have had storms like that here. They can get really nasty. Was the frame staked down?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/21/22 9:18 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Tied down on the fence side in three places, and legs weighted on the house side.   I think it was either a nasty 'dust devil' or wind off a microburst.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJSWz5Hs2ojyRpiFlzQKs6M0lC67VO6jZUOMMOjadlN5IFbiwWdZKa6pEJER5CUk