1 2
Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
9/7/20 5:11 p.m.

Stories like this make me glad I sold my 996 and I feel lucky to have sold it after four years for the same amount as I paid.  I also like that I can build a new engine for the Torino I bought to replace the 996 for a dollar two ninety-eight.  Though Summit doesn't send me jellybeans when I buy parts.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/7/20 8:27 p.m.

Very interesting.. I have a '80 rwd chrysler wagon that is an occasional DD with a small pile of uninstalled upgrades, and have been working a 71 Cuda with a slant 6 i rebuilt (drives now) with plans to turbo.. Bought a 73 T&C wagon (yuuuuge) with no engine and just accidentally bought two engine options.. And i'm still surprised to say you consider a Torino a replacement for a 996. None of my older stuff has any overlap of anything at all with my old 996. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/8/20 2:27 a.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

Stories like this make me glad I sold my 996 and I feel lucky to have sold it after four years for the same amount as I paid.  I also like that I can build a new engine for the Torino I bought to replace the 996 for a dollar two ninety-eight.  Though Summit doesn't send me jellybeans when I buy parts.

Nope, just 17 magnets and 74 soft copies of their June edition parts catalogue. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/8/20 7:22 a.m.

I’ll stick to my C5Z.  It came pre-LS swapped.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/8/20 9:41 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I’ll stick to my C5Z.  It came pre-LS swapped.

This would be my choice.  I'm a Porsche guy, and generally think they're way cooler than Vettes, but it's hard to convince myself that the 996 chassis is THAT much better or lighter than a Z06 chassis to deal with all the issues that come along with a non-native swap.  Especially cooling.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
9/9/20 11:51 a.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

And i'm still surprised to say you consider a Torino a replacement for a 996. None of my older stuff has any overlap of anything at all with my old 996. 

True, they have about as much in common as a fork and a pencil, but I tend to rate machinery with a joy quotient rather than any actual real performance metrics.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/9/20 10:19 p.m.

Can't disagree with that. Just curious how you meant it. yes

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/19/21 3:41 p.m.

Of course I went from this article straight to Craigslist. It would appear that 996s aren't immune to the surge in Porsche values of late.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/19/21 4:27 p.m.

What about a Subaru motor in to a 911.  Or is that just changing one problematic motor for another? At least Subaru motors should be cheeper to repair/replace yes?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/19/21 8:15 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Good luck finding a used EJ255/EJ257 that has any kind of meaningful warranty.

It's actually cheaper to buy a new shortblock and new heads from Subaru than to try to source a long block.

If it DOESN'T have a warranty... well, failed engines is the majority reason why those cars disappear from the roads.  The main saddles get pounded out causing oil pressure to go away, or turbo failure causes the bearings to get wrecked from debris, or there is a seesaw effect of failed turbo kills the engine which kills the recent turbo which kills the recent engine which....

You COULD swap in a nonturbo four, or a six, but... why?

APEowner
APEowner Dork
5/20/21 10:50 a.m.

If I'm building a race car I want whatever engine and other components are the most competitive within the rules (right up against the rules but within).  For a street car or a street/trackday toy it's all about the experience or the cars personality.  The LS series of engines is great but to me the engine's character is a big part of a cars personality and eliminating the flat 6 completely changes a 911's personality.  It may be a better car with the LS swap but it's not one I'd particularly want to own.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/20/21 1:57 p.m.
dean1484 said:

What about a Subaru motor in to a 911.  Or is that just changing one problematic motor for another? At least Subaru motors should be cheeper to repair/replace yes?

I had a turbo rotary in the back of a 75 911T because 2.7 was too expensive for the PO to repair. Streetport, water to air I/C from a Syclone, Supertrapp muffler .... it was fender to fender with a GT2 in a straight line. Porsche people loved it or hated it. Most hated it. 

TurboTodd
TurboTodd New Reader
11/28/21 9:14 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Except the C5Z doesn't dig as hard as possible on an autox course. The LS has more torque than the rwd chassis can put down. Porsche AWD with 334 cu in of LS power could fix that, and annoy the p-car people too.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels New Reader
8/14/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :I wonder if the heat problem would be handled by using one of gms v6 engines. Less power for sure than the ls. Less heat too. Should be less weight and smaller and a better fit to the available space. Not sure how close the horsepower would be to the original engine, but depending on the intended use it may not matter much.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/14/22 12:39 p.m.

This sold recently for $28K on BaT. The good thing about LS-converted Porsches on BaT is that purists are offended, so they can end up selling for a lot less than the OEM vehicle would:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-26/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NPjSAamoCN2bmAPwiBYKvCJszOLE5kPBq5377QaI5EVpP6nhWR7Cekmxv1UAdMfr