1 2 3
jharry3
jharry3 Dork
6/22/21 5:01 p.m.

Tire stores want to sell tires, not mounting of tires, so they charge a lot for mounting tires from others.

True story: My grandpa was a traveling tire salesman  for AJAX tires in the 1920's.  Sears Roebucks was selling tires mail order.

One of his tire store dealers  had a sign in the window - "If you get your tires from Sear-Roebucks get your air from the post office".

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
6/22/21 5:04 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

and $3 per tire for disposal.

My bad dad joke that causes them to freak is;

$3 each?  Put them in my trunk.  There's a creek by my house I'll toss them into.  

It's even funnier when buying car battery's.   

Thread jack!  The guy that lived across the street years a go used to change his oil into the storm drain.  While you are joking about this sort of thing, I do hope that you tell the people at the shop it is a joke...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/22/21 5:12 p.m.
noddaz said:
Datsun310Guy said:
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

and $3 per tire for disposal.

My bad dad joke that causes them to freak is;

$3 each?  Put them in my trunk.  There's a creek by my house I'll toss them into.  

It's even funnier when buying car battery's.   

Thread jack!  The guy that lived across the street years a go used to change his oil into the storm drain.  While you are joking about this sort of thing, I do hope that you tell the people at the shop it is a joke...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

We fish quite a few out of the river every year. Hitting a floater with a boat is pretty exciting and since they are black you never see them first.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/21 5:38 p.m.

$64.20 with me keeping the old tires. It was $80 the last time when they took my old set. But they're just around the corner from home & I don't have to find room for tire machines or wrestle around with mounting/dismounting, so I'll do my best to keep supporting them. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/22/21 5:42 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Doing it at home. Definitely worth it. 

You around tomorrow?  I'll pay you to put on /help me put on 245 15 on 10 inch wide wheels.

Seven too fore 858 o67 fiver.

Are you gonna be at cmp for champcar this weekend?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/21 5:46 p.m.

Usually 80-100 set at the local shop that does my annual inspections.  It can vary depending on how much other work I'm having them do. They're usually very busy, so they generally don't like doing just tire mounting, so I usually have to schedule it.

I definitely want mounting and balancing equipment after I build a shop.  Not so much to save money, but mainly to save the time and scheduling headaches.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/22/21 6:05 p.m.

Unmount, mount &spin balance if I drop them off and they fit it in, costs me pizza and wings on Friday.

tb
tb Dork
6/22/21 6:10 p.m.

100 a set, including disposal but I always tip for good service.

I use a mobile service that does it in my driveway without me needing to pause my life for it so I save far more in valuable time. Tirerack delivers to them so I never touch the tires, they jack up the car, remove the wheels, dismount the old rubber, install the new (even inquire about desired pressures and torque), balance in their van, drop the car and remove the old rubber and are gone after a quick text message. They will be doing a set soon while I am currently on vacation at the beach.

Having done everything from picking up at the local warehouse to installing race rubber by hand I don't think I will ever stop hitting the easy button when it comes to thankless jobs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/22/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Yes, I tell them it's a joke.  I would never........I do recycle my oil at Wally World   

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/22/21 6:19 p.m.
tb said:

I use a mobile service that does it in my driveway without me needing to pause my life for it so I save far more in valuable time. Tirerack delivers to them so I never touch the tires, they jack up the car, remove the wheels, dismount the old rubber, install the new (even inquire about desired pressures and torque), balance in their van, drop the car and remove the old rubber and are gone after a quick text message. They will be doing a set soon while I am currently on vacation at the beach.

How often do the cops stop and ask them why they are stealing rims?  ;-)

tb
tb Dork
6/22/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT :

Good question? I should ask next time I see them!

I have had problems in the past when I lived in a bad neighborhood and someone tried to steal my rims, not really an issue in my current situation... will make for some good jokes with them in the future, though...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/22/21 8:50 p.m.
tb said:

Having done everything from picking up at the local warehouse to installing race rubber by hand I don't think I will ever stop hitting the easy button when it comes to thankless jobs.

I'd definitely tip for that! My $120 payment was with me dropping off the wheels and picking them up. 

I'm thinking of trying somewhere else, but that depends on which wheels. I am confident that my current shop won't damage my unobtanium SSR wheels. Not a place to cheap out. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/22/21 9:12 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Doing it at home. Definitely worth it. 

You around tomorrow?  I'll pay you to put on /help me put on 245 15 on 10 inch wide wheels.

Seven too fore 858 o67 fiver.

Are you gonna be at cmp for champcar this weekend?

Tied up tomorrow afternoon but Thursday would work. I'll shoot you a text tomorrow afternoon, or if I forget, hit me up at Ate 4 Tree, Fo Fo 2 Fo 7 3 six. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/22/21 9:55 p.m.

$25/each from what I can recall.

There was a time in my life when getting the equipment would make sense, but I can't see that ever happening again.  Even if I changed enough to justify it, I have to imagine the equipment consumes quite a bit of floor space.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/21 9:57 p.m.

depends on 

1. If Moxnix mounts them (I usually pay in booze)

2. If a certain guy at the local chain shop is there when I go (I pay cash under the table about half the retail price)

3. If he's not (I pay retail)

tb
tb Dork
6/22/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Luckily I haven't had any issues with this company scratching any up or anything. That being said, I don't have fancy wheels and everything is insured for more than it is worth!

I would definitely be a lot more discerning with who I trust if I actually ever owned anything nice...

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/23/21 12:05 a.m.

I got tired of paying real money for people to do it badly, so now I do it myself badly.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
6/23/21 12:33 a.m.

Interesting that people have to pay for disposal. Here in Manitoba, we pay $4.00 per tire on purchase of a new tire. Recyclers take used ones for free.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/23/21 8:43 a.m.

Followup questions for folks doing their own mounting: What equipment are you using and would you recommend it? We do a lot of mounting on project cars at our local Discount Tire, as it's about the only place that can handle wide/specialty stuff with care. But at $100/set we're wondering if it's better to just get our own rig at some point.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/23/21 8:49 a.m.

$50/set of four including balancing, and same as Run_Away, no disposal fees

And the nice thing about the shop I use is they have 2-3 guys on your car and you're in and out in minutes

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/23/21 8:59 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I have the Mayflower 960 machine and 680 balancer.  This is the generic import stuff.  The machine has the extra helper arm which I use quite a bit.  It isn't necessary for most tires, but it makes some things easier and others possible.  I've been very happy with it.  I wouldn't go this route for hundreds of tires a year, but for the dozen sets or so I do, it works great.

One significant benefit to having the ability to do it myself is that it enables things you just wouldn't pay for.  For example, I had a tire on the trailer blow out last weekend, and I don't know how long I ran on the freeway with only one tire on that side.  I dismounted that tire to inspect it, and that brought peace of mind that it hadn't been damaged.  I also flip the race tires on the wheels more often then I would if I were paying for it which makes the tires last longer.

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/23/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I'm using a set of these:

There is a thread Here about them. I would recommend them. At $100 a set, my machines were paid for after 19 sets of tires. I can't imagine not having them at this point. The convenience alone is worth the space in the shop.

Edit: It looks like they are about $2200 for a set now so the payoff is 22 sets of tires. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/23/21 9:06 a.m.

Free fidy. Father in law has a machine as does my neighbor. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/23/21 9:08 a.m.

Free fidy. Father in law has a machine as does my neighbor. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/21 9:18 a.m.

Funny you should ask.  I was just looking into this yesterday.

I spent most of my adult life expecting to pay $10-$15 a tire.  A couple years ago I was awoken to the fact that it's now $25 a tire for regular stuff, plus another $5 a tire for disposal and DNREC tax.  I got used to that adjustment.

Yesterday I was looking into M+B for 19" tires (first car larger than 17") and I'm finding $50-$55 per tire, or around $60 each with disposal fee / DNREC tax if you brought the your own tires in.

The place next door that quoted me $60 ended up being a simpletire.com installer and it was about $35 a tire through them when I ordered the tires.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iUEoTcOCtBdZpa6HyabbEd2P2bpntxQAUtr0kzyap5S6tvyAtNM8rGIb58pgB15U