1 2 3 4
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/28/20 10:20 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I put some well used 240Z seats and other parts on CL and I joked that if nobody buys them the parts will be in my garbage  on the next Thursday night and they can pick them out.  

Some guy put a lot of effort in asking if I'm putting the parts in the garbage and can he come by.   He was persistent and I kept saying that was a joke.  

Give him an address on the bad side of town. Preferably in an area where drug dealers hang out and hide their stash in garbage cans. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/28/20 10:22 a.m.
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/28/20 10:30 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Every single comment here was about how inconsiderate people are, they  fail to recognize value and some are just stupid. 

Start with yourself. Treat everyone kind and decent wether they deserve it or not. Educate them about value , New this sold for $XXX  it's still in good shape. Still works. 
Explain how they can increase its value, strip the old finish off and refinish it and how much would you pay for it then? Etc. 

In Short be a salesman and earn a 100% commission. 

I have responded with kind and decent e-mails. I have tried to explain how the bike is a bargain. But it is hard to try and sell somebody who doesn't respond to e-mails or who flat out doesn't show up when they say they will. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I realize that. Some people are just lookers. That's life. But successful salesmen make more money than lawyers ( on average) and a lot of Doctors ( when you deduct their liability insurance) 

Even some CEO's. 

Make no mistake. It's hard frustrating work as so many people here have said. 
Roughly 1 person in 1000 will still be in sales after 5 years. And 1 person in 10000 will make an above average lifetime income.   And of those 1 in 50000 will make that sort of lifetime earning. 

I was offered sales manager positions at every single company I worked at. I could never afford the cut in pay. ( plus a sales managers career tends to end with the next economic downturn or failed product. ) 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/28/20 10:49 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I realize that. Some people are just lookers. That's life. But successful salesmen make more money than lawyers ( on average) and a lot of Doctors ( when you deduct their liability insurance) 

Even some CEO's. 

Make no mistake. It's hard frustrating work as so many people here have said. 
Roughly 1 person in 1000 will still be in sales after 5 years. And 1 person in 10000 will make an above average lifetime income.   And of those 1 in 50000 will make that sort of lifetime earning. 

I was offered sales manager positions at every single company I worked at. I could never afford the cut in pay. ( plus a sales managers career tends to end with the next economic downturn or failed product. ) 

I actually sold life insurance when I first got out of college. My success depended totally on how many calls I made and how many connections I made. I was amazed by how many hours it took to make enough sales. More than 40. But if I wanted to make more money I just had to make more phone calls. 

This is different. You put out the ad and wait for them to call you. I tend to spin my wheels on tasks like this. Putting in more hours and more effort won't increase results. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/28/20 10:51 a.m.

Still curious about Facebook though. Who else has had success there? It seems like such a strange place compared to Craigslist or Cycle Trader. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
8/28/20 11:01 a.m.

I don't understand why, but Marketplace really is a nicer place to sell stuff than on CL (or kijiji) around here.

Maybe because people can look you up and see that they are really doing business with a real person?

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/28/20 11:03 a.m.

List it on advrider.com. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/28/20 11:31 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Good salesmen don't always make good sales managers.   

I got out of sales management and back into commission sales 7 years ago.  My resume looks weak but my salary is sky high.  At 57 years old I'm looking to max out my savings and finish strong.  

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I've had success for some items, and crickets on others. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 11:56 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Good salesmen don't always make good sales managers.   

I got out of sales management and back into commission sales 7 years ago.  My resume looks weak but my salary is sky high.  At 57 years old I'm looking to max out my savings and finish strong.  

I've had both. Great salesmen who made great sales managers and salesmen who made terrible managers. 
But you're right!!!  Hang in there.  At your age they want to find any reason to get younger men.  You seldom see 60+ year old salesmen. And if fired no matter how great your resume and letters of recommendation are you won't  get another chance. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
8/28/20 12:44 p.m.

I like Marketplace, it's quick, easy and if someone interested looks sketchy you can meet them instead of having them come to your house

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/28/20 7:38 p.m.

I’ve been trying to sell my Goldwing for a couple years now. No, I won’t take $5k for a bike for a $7.5k bike

Got it listed n both FB marketplace and Craigslist.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/28/20 8:01 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:
Mndsm said:
Snowdoggie said:

From spending an afternoon waiting for a buyer who doesn't show up to talking to guys who are ready to come out with a trailer to pick it up, and then don't bother to call you back. And the low ballers. And the joyriders. 

Can I just push this motorcycle off a cliff and collect the insurance money. It's actually too nice a bike for most of the jerks who call me. Maybe I should just sell it to a dealer for half what it's worth and let them take the abuse. 

Don't burn it. Turns out that's against the law. 

Truth. Requires the right permit.

Didn't you torch a lawn mower a few years back after dealing with a bunch of morons from craigslist?

He did. That's why I said it. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 8:25 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe it's not actually a 7.5k bike if it's been for sale for 2 years?  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/28/20 8:34 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

What kind of motorcycle?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1998-kawasaki-zg-1000-concours-mine/176022/page1/

So, is the Concours Owners Group no longer a thing?  If it is, try selling it to that group.  They already know and appreciate that bike.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 8:38 p.m.

Facebook seems to be a good place to sell something quickly, but don't expect top dollar for it.  

Granted - when I post something for sale, I just want it gone.  So the first offer that comes in that is even reasonably serious I accept. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/29/20 12:34 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Every single comment here was about how inconsiderate people are, they  fail to recognize value and some are just stupid. 

Start with yourself. Treat everyone kind and decent wether they deserve it or not. Educate them about value , New this sold for $XXX  it's still in good shape. Still works. 
Explain how they can increase its value, strip the old finish off and refinish it and how much would you pay for it then? Etc. 

In Short be a salesman and earn a 100% commission. 

The discussion is about dealing with the average caller from craigslist... no comparison at all. At a car lot, sure, but ya can't sell to someone that don't show. If ya need to use that kinda sales push, I start wondering why, and find another!  For a private sale, be a salesman, loose the sale. Of course be kind... all the time!

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/29/20 12:35 a.m.

I don't do the book of faces at all, but I've heard its better to by and sell with.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/29/20 12:38 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

If I had the funds, I know that's a fair price. Closest bike I know of to the BMW K bikes. But, alas, none of my junk... ah hem, "projects" are selling at all, so...

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/29/20 5:29 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I'm basing my price on other ones. Granted when I first listed it, I was high on the price.

Lately, it's been tire kickers.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/29/20 7:40 a.m.

I've got the 1973 Royal Enfield cafe racer up on both C-list and Marketplace. The FB ad went up first. I posted I would entertain trades of equal or lesser value.  I've had a couple of trade offers (two bikes and a welder), none of which have been of similar value and of course no additional cash offered. I don't want to trade one hard to sell bike for another. Two lowballers. One guy that seemed interested but is several hours away and has committment issues.

Just posted the Craigslist ad. Waiting for that entertainment to start.

I've learned that serious buyers will make the effort. I don't stay home for anyone these days; if you want to see it I'm home during >this time<. If you can't come then, too bad.

My personal favs are the folks who want you to take payments. "Yes, I will take one payment of exactly the asking price".

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/29/20 8:46 a.m.

It does sound like this is a good example to bump the price, put on Facebook market, and come down in price to your asking. I've only bought on there, never sold, but it was always easy. 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
8/29/20 10:22 a.m.

Timing is important with some items. Up here in the northland, people are thinking about putting warm weather toys away for the winter. Convertibles, sports cars, boats and motorcycles are going into storage. Thoughts are turning to hunting and winter sports. Posted my pontoon and 1969 Impala on FB early April when people are looking forward to warmer days and they sold quickly.  

car39
car39 Dork
8/29/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Had a neighbor do the same thing with a ladder.  No action when it was sitting in his driveway with a free sign.  Put a $20 sign and it was stolen within a 1/2 hour

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTnSAJirDw6xzmUFes9Eb4s9A5HunGHpeLeJdtnuTMfNizjCaj53YOUJ2o8giTsy