Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/16 7:30 p.m.

Not a work stand, just the kind that lets you park a bike that doesn't have a kickstand straight up. If it allows me to turn the crank backwards to use a chain cleaner, that would be a bonus.

Which one do I want?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/25/16 7:42 p.m.

I have a few of these and am happy. We had them in our shop back in the day, too.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/16 8:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

How does that work? Does it hook over the top of the rear wheel?

David S. Wallens
8/25/16 8:25 p.m.

Like this:

IMG_0435

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/25/16 8:26 p.m.

I was going to recommend the same.
Here is a link to cheaper.

Very handy for chain oiling or chain cleaning.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/16 8:45 p.m.

Is there clearance for the crank to turn?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/16 8:52 p.m.

That looks perfect. I just ordered two. Thanks guys!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/25/16 8:55 p.m.

Yes, you I could turn the crank on my MTB by hand.
Not strong enough to sit on the bike an peddle

David S. Wallens
8/25/16 9:00 p.m.

On my bike there's plenty of crank clearance. You'd need like really, really long cranks to have a problem--like 250mm cranks, if such a thing existed.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/26/16 7:51 p.m.

I just have one of those large storage hooks in the garage that hold up a shelf. I can throw bike on it front or back and spin cranks as well.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/26/16 8:03 p.m.

I have a Park professional stand but I've been into this stuff for 35 years. Hope the display stands work for you. They are more rugged than they look.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
8/27/16 5:15 a.m.

All you need to do is flip the bike upside down so it stands up on the seat and the handlebars. Thats how we use to do it with our BMW bikes so we could work on them. Kids and wife have regular 12 speed bikes now that they ride thru the state forest. The kick stands are all too short to effectively work, especially when they try to park them on dirt. I showed them the flip the bike upside down trick to park it and thats what they do now instead.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
8/27/16 8:51 a.m.

I've been meaning to buy a proper clamp-type work stand for a while, but for chain lube, etc. I just do as tr8todd said and flip the bike over. Don't have to bend over as far to reach the drivetrain either!

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
8/29/16 3:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

That's an early Cannondale, like 3rd year they were making bikes. First year it was a touring bike in grey only, second year added a crit bike in green or purple, next year is in the pic above. Dark blue or Burgundy. They had about the lowest vertical compliance of any bike ever made, but were a secret weapon for the local 40km on a 2km loop in the office park crit races.

David S. Wallens
8/29/16 4:25 p.m.

Yep, it's way early. The shop I worked at was a Cannondale dealer, and I have owned it since new. It's a 1986 SR400. Color choices were metallic navy or white. We bought a bunch of them as part of some year-end closeout. I was originally going to buy just a frame, but the deal on completes was just too good--like $50 more for the entire bike or something like that.

Mine is close to stock but it's all SunTour Cyclone, including the brakes and cranks. If I remember correctly, a friend of my dad's sold me those parts used. The only things changed since the original build are the tires and handlebar tape.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/29/16 6:15 p.m.

^That is very cool.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/29/16 6:26 p.m.

I should take a picture of my mountain bike, a mix of new and old parts. Like an old Genesis frame and knock off gears and brakes. My friend and I built it about 14 years ago and I still use it today.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c5BuWXXAuxqYs38DXySlVYF73NGZ1aTqgWPqoWXOCUPTzKK1tlrSrsK2goghGjMB