Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/29/22 10:57 a.m.
feature_image

Hyundai expanded its dedicated EV lineup on June 28 by unveiling the Ioniq 6, a sedan to accompany the Ioniq 5 SUV/CUV.

The press release features plenty of buzzwords like “Emotional Efficiency” and “Ethical Uniqueness,” though there are a few key takeaways:

The Ioniq 6 …

Read the rest of the story

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/29/22 11:09 a.m.

Lol. They going for that cyberpunk theme?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/22 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Defined motorsports :

It's a bit Blade Runner. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/29/22 11:34 a.m.

Just a reminder, this is what the concept, the Prophecy EV, looked like:

Hyundai gets a check in my book for making a car that actually looks like the concept

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Yup. You can say it looks boring, yet I'm attracted to it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/22 11:40 a.m.

The electric Hyundais are a pretty interesting bunch for sure.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/29/22 11:43 a.m.

I've seen a few Ioniq5's in the wild, and I have to admit they look pretty good in person.  Not surprising that I'm strangely drawn to this concept as well. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/29/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many of the Ioniq 5s and even the Kia EV6s I've seen in my area. They both look a little bigger in person than I was expecting, but I'm not complaining.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/22 11:55 a.m.

Yeah, if the Ioniq5 was the size of the original Integrale it would be a pretty compelling package. But that's what people want, so I get it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/22 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I'm still seeing mostly Teslas in my neighborhood. Maybe soon we'll get some Hyundais. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/29/22 12:29 p.m.
Defined motorsports said:

Lol. They going for that cyberpunk theme?

Dang, you beat me to it.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/29/22 12:49 p.m.

It's an entirely new design language for them, and I'm not sure I like it 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/29/22 2:30 p.m.

It's the triumphant return of the Frumpback! Like the much-maligned Bustleback Neoclassical luxury cars of the Malaise Era, the Frumpback was a controversial rear end design that just didn't catch on. The last car I can remember with a Frumpback in the US is the often forgotten Infiniti J30. 



I appreciate the extra spoiler, harkening back to the Mustang SVO and Merkur XR4TI. A bold design choice, indeed. 

And for crap's sake, why can't we get real door handles on EV's? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/29/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Good eye.

 

The rear side glass that seems to end lower than the front side glass is an interesting design element. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/29/22 2:57 p.m.

ok fine, it looks neat. now a minivan please.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/22 4:01 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

And for crap's sake, why can't we get real door handles on EV's? 

Drag. With the added benefit of decreased wind noise. EVs that are not Hummers tend to be built for maximum efficiency, and of course the lack of engine noise means that other noise sources becomes more important.

The ones on the Model 3/Y are pretty easy to use, you just push the front with your thumb and the back levers out. It's a smooth motion. Although a set like the NA Miata would be kinda nice :)

The extra rear spoiler is probably there to prevent the thing from taking flight, a characteristic of a frumpback.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/29/22 4:22 p.m.

Too bad the production version  didn't keep the flared fenders of the concept. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
6/29/22 5:44 p.m.

I'm interested in how they got rear view cameras instead of mirrors. I thought Federal law still required actual mirrors?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/29/22 5:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Tony Sestito said:

And for crap's sake, why can't we get real door handles on EV's? 

Drag. With the added benefit of decreased wind noise. EVs that are not Hummers tend to be built for maximum efficiency, and of course the lack of engine noise means that other noise sources becomes more important.

 

 I find it kinda funny that Teslas generally seem to be equipped with wide, sticky rubber, which can't be helping range.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
6/29/22 6:02 p.m.

It's kinda fugly but I think they could have gone further. Bigger wheels, even smaller handles. Somehow further enhance the banana-like lines. 

I have nothing constructive to add, just here to jeer. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/22 6:04 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:
Tony Sestito said:

And for crap's sake, why can't we get real door handles on EV's? 

Drag. With the added benefit of decreased wind noise. EVs that are not Hummers tend to be built for maximum efficiency, and of course the lack of engine noise means that other noise sources becomes more important.

 

 I find it kinda funny that Teslas generally seem to be equipped with wide, sticky rubber, which can't be helping range.

I'm not sure I'd make that generalization. The non-performance Model 3 comes with 500 TW 235s rated "extra load". Sure, 235 isn't super skinny but they do have to deal with a 4000 lb car that happens to have a whole lot of horsepower. The M5 with similar power and weight runs 275s in the rear.

 

Now if you're talking about people bolting on aftermarket stuff, we all have our own priorities :)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/22 10:23 p.m.
golfduke said:

I've seen a few Ioniq5's in the wild, and I have to admit they look pretty good in person.  Not surprising that I'm strangely drawn to this concept as well. 

My parents have a reservation on one.

I'm a bit intrigued by this one myself. I'll need a new commuter car in about 3 years :)

Our Preferred Partners
cUKuP3RKarRfvhx9UmiB0Gl82m3UKGOcIYV8e71qmFSEpyEviuiOXSF8EaKZJXRa