1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/22 10:21 a.m.

Somehow, I went from "I don't want another expensive daily driver" after turning in the Alfa lease to "I'll make an exception for a newer Porsche because I'm not quite right in the head". I'm sure Tim Suddard's recent purchase of a 997 didn't play a role in this at all, oh noes.

Which turned into the purchase of this - a 2011 Carrera S with PDK:

Cream White Porsche 911

Right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in Fresno, CA. Eagled eyed readers will have spotted that that's the other side of the country from where I actually live.

The local Porsche dealer in Fresno - who, by the way, was awesome to work with when it came to arranging the pre-trip servicing work - did the PPI and fitted new front tires as the old ones had aged out, plus checked the HPFP, performed an oil and brake fluid change just because, and generally checked the car over to make sure it is hopefully safe to drive across the country.

Before we go anywhere, we have to stop at Harbor Freight - it doesn't have a front plate fitted and I want to give as little reason as possible for someone to pull me over, so I have to put the towhook mount for the front license plate into action. That's all good, but the OEM toolkit only includes one spanner, and that's a 10/13mm and not the 17mm I need. Fortunately there is a Harbor Freight about 20 minutes from here in the right direction.

Once the front plate is mounted, we'll high tail it out of CA with the next stop (minus a fuel stop or two) being in Seligman AZ, aka one of the inspirations for Radiator Springs.

I probably won't post much in this thread until we're home and pictures will also have to wait until then, but I wanted to get the thread started.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/1/22 10:36 a.m.

I approve of cross country trips in a Porsche and owning multiple Porsches! Awesome car and will be following!!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/1/22 10:41 a.m.

Man, those wheels on that cream exterior... yummy.  Safe travels! 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
7/1/22 10:41 a.m.

Following along. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/1/22 10:52 a.m.

That color!!

Dang. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/1/22 10:59 a.m.

Is that Chalk?
 

I remember the first time that I saw that color in person and it stopped me in my tracks. I love it, and I agree, those wheels are perfect. 
 

it will take a day or two to get used to, but you will absolutely love the PDK. 
 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/1/22 11:01 a.m.

Also...turn off the auto stop/start thing. It's the button with the A in the circle on the center console. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/1/22 11:05 a.m.

jealous  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
7/1/22 11:24 a.m.

As the owner of multiple Porsche, I fully support this lunacy and hope to emulate it further....

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/1/22 12:23 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Also...turn off the auto stop/start thing. It's the button with the A in the circle on the center console. 

I think you're thinking of the 991, pretty sure the 997 didn't have that feature.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/1/22 12:46 p.m.

Enjoy the drive and safe travels! 4th of July weekend can be a tricky time for cross country road trips. I know from experience.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/1/22 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Chalk is much more grey/primer. We've had a few in the shop, I'm not terribly into it, but I like bold colors.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/1/22 1:27 p.m.

Fill up when you are half full or so , do not wait to the last 10% because who knows if the next stop will have Premium grade fuel.....

And watch out for Wiley Coyote...........

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/1/22 2:38 p.m.
Javelin said:

I approve of cross country trips in a Porsche and owning multiple Porsches! Awesome car and will be following!!

I concur.

Hit a couple canyons in it if you can before you get out of CA. If you can swing it hit the Dragon on the way home too.

Sweet purchase!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/1/22 2:40 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Fill up when you are half full or so , do not wait to the last 10% because who knows if the next stop will have Premium grade fuel.....

And watch out for Wiley Coyote...........

Probably will not see 93 again until the Mississippi. It will run on 91 but not like it as much.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/1/22 3:38 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Is that Chalk?
 

I remember the first time that I saw that color in person and it stopped me in my tracks. I love it, and I agree, those wheels are perfect. 
 

it will take a day or two to get used to, but you will absolutely love the PDK. 
 

Cream White, according to his comment in his other thread.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/22 10:13 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:
californiamilleghia said:

Fill up when you are half full or so , do not wait to the last 10% because who knows if the next stop will have Premium grade fuel.....

And watch out for Wiley Coyote...........

Probably will not see 93 again until the Mississippi. It will run on 91 but not like it as much.

It's lived pretty much all it's life on 91.  Be interesting to see if I notice any difference when I make it to 93 land.

And yes, I'm topping up the tank roughly when it gets to half to a third full. Well, except in Needles, where premium was 7.69. I decided to continue to Kingman instead, where it was under $6...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/22 10:54 p.m.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Made it to Seligman AZ tonight. I'm a tad beat, mostly from being bounced around by the great condition I-40 is in. That's when having a talkative car is really exhausting to me. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/2/22 8:19 a.m.

Get the 76 ounce stead in Amarillo.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/2/22 10:29 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Unfortunately I'm not supposed to eat beef or pork frown, especially not in that kind of quantity.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/2/22 10:36 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Thanks for all the kind comments. Made it to Seligman AZ tonight. I'm a tad beat, mostly from being bounced around by the great condition I-40 is in. That's when having a talkative car is really exhausting to me. 

Avoid Oklahoma at all costs. Their road maintenence was the worst we encountered cross country. 

Arkansas was glass smooth. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/2/22 10:39 a.m.
Javelin said:
BoxheadTim said:

Thanks for all the kind comments. Made it to Seligman AZ tonight. I'm a tad beat, mostly from being bounced around by the great condition I-40 is in. That's when having a talkative car is really exhausting to me. 

Avoid Oklahoma at all costs. Their road maintenence was the worst we encountered cross country. 

Arkansas was glass smooth. 

Unfortunately we have to go through Oklahoma to get to Arkansas in our available time frame as my wife would like us to visit the Crater of Diamonds state park. Thanks for the heads up though.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/2/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Gah we really wanted to stop at Crater of Diamonds and didn't have time. Have a blast there! Mrs J sends good luck to your wife. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/2/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I'll let her know, thanks!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/2/22 10:56 a.m.

Porsche probably lists a "Comfort" tire pressure in the book, and a corresponding warning not to exceed 155 mph or something like that. That's the pressure that you will want for poorly maintained roads. 

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
6cuZ42TGq7Byjh0Scf9nvm5IGm5hVdz9klaNlNxzt8oPR6Zthq99MUy2LaoQogHc