1 2
NOSLO6
NOSLO6 New Reader
12/20/13 3:30 p.m.

Hi folks,

I'm having some health issues that will prevent me from driving a manual transmission car for at least the next year or two (can't work the clutch). Same issues make wrenching very difficult for me so I'm looking for for a somewhat modern car that isn't a project and won't require constant tinkering and maintenance, as much as it pains me to forgo that pleasure.

Thought I'd see what the wise folks here put on the to-consider list. My rough needs:

• Automatic transmission (defined as anything that doesn't require clutch pedaling)
  • Functional rear seats w/ enough space for my 5-year-old's car seat.
  • Two or four doors are fine, though some points awarded for 4- or 5-doors.
  • Amusing to drive.
  • No track use expected.
  • Budget of $10-$15k.

Just to seed the discussion, older WRXs have always been appealing, though the autos seem hard to find and the buyer demand seems to keep the prices high relative to newer cars with similar mileage. Have no experience with the SMG M3's and whether they should be feared--same deal with the DSG GTI's, Thoughts on either would be much appreciated. Modern LS-motored GTOs also have some appeal.

What should I add to my list? What would you beware of or gravitate towards? All ideas, thoughts, humor, etc welcome.

Thanks!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/20/13 3:32 p.m.

E46 M3 w/ SMG

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/20/13 3:33 p.m.

First thing that popped into my head was the GTO. Then it was Corvette, and then back to GTO when I realized you needed a rear seat. Power enough to make an auto ok.... and they get halfway decent mileage. I know squat about German autos other than they scare me.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/20/13 3:34 p.m.

The SMG M3's are a good choice if you still want to autox/road course......otherwise, slushboxes in the fbodies/gto/mustangs can be "entertaining" IDK if SRT8 chargers and 300c's are in that price window yet, as they are about the most interesting slushbox I can think of.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/20/13 3:35 p.m.

Cadillac CTS-V?

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
12/20/13 3:37 p.m.

what's the injury? I ruptured my achielles and broke my left foot in 14 places (schattered) and leg in 3 in 2000 and was driving a manual in 13 weeks while still in a wheel chair. It's definitely not easy, nor fun, but it can be done. if you're interested in pointers on clutch feel without feeling in your left foot or things of that sort let me now.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
12/20/13 3:45 p.m.

I like the GTO idea.

Mustang would also work.

The Ralliart Lancer has a DSG in it, as was pointed out in another recent thread.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/20/13 3:47 p.m.

E39 540i Sport. No M, but the much more reliable and cheaper to own "regular" 540i.

Fun fast, comfortable, easy to get a car seat in back of, reasonable fuel mileage on teh highway.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/20/13 3:51 p.m.

Are the V6 G8's down into that price range?

Looks like you can get a GT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-G8-GT-2009-pontiac-gt-/151171797949?forcerrptr=true&hash=item23328a93bd&item=151171797949&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
12/20/13 3:57 p.m.

MR2 Spyder SMT?

totes mcgotes hon
totes mcgotes hon New Reader
12/20/13 3:58 p.m.

Would the is350 be a good option? My mom had* an IS-F and the flappy paddle auto in it wasn't completely fun sucking. My sister has the is350, but I honestly don't know much about them.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/20/13 4:01 p.m.
totes mcgotes hon wrote: Would the is350 be a good option? My mom has an IS-F and the flappy paddle auto in it wasn't completely fun sucking. My sister has the is350, but I honestly don't know much about them.

1st gen IS300 Sportback! You've hit a great idea.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
12/20/13 4:03 p.m.

G35 Sedan - mine was 6 speed but most of them are automatics. Great real world blend of sporty and luxurious. I literally only ever changed oil, air filters, tires and drove.

codrus
codrus HalfDork
12/20/13 4:05 p.m.

There are lots of nominally fun and sporty slushboxes out there. Personally I hate the disconnected feeling you get when the torque converter unlocks, so they don't make my list. That leaves the robo-clutch flappy paddle gearboxes.

I probably wouldn't buy a single-clutch SMG like the E46 for this. Everything I've read about these transmissions says that while they're great for race-track use, in around-town driving they're really really annoying. Jerky, not smooth, uncivilized, etc. For some reason, it appears to be hard to write software that can manage them in city driving.

The same does not appear to be true of the dual-clutch transmissions like DSG. This is presumably why all of the manufacturers have shifted to selling those -- I don't think there are any cars still sold with single-clutch flappy paddle transmissions. I've never owned a DSG, but I've driven a half-dozen cars with them and it's something I'll consider for my next daily driver.

They made 4-door DSG GTIs starting around 2007 or so. I dunno if they're down to the $10K range yet, but that's probably what I'd start looking for.

totes mcgotes hon
totes mcgotes hon New Reader
12/20/13 4:08 p.m.

oh, g35 was a good idea. Did mazdaspeed6's come in auto?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/20/13 4:15 p.m.
totes mcgotes hon wrote: oh, g35 was a good idea. Did mazdaspeed6's come in auto?

Nope. HOWEVER- Legacy GT's did.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/20/13 4:25 p.m.

My WRX was really too small for a child seat, though I dealt with it for three years. I checked out my friend's Legacy GT and wasn't a whole lot bigger in back.

NOSLO6
NOSLO6 New Reader
12/20/13 4:38 p.m.

Wow! Lots of fantastic ideas here already. Thanks!

I hadn't thought of the CTS-V or G35, both great additions, as is the feedback on the various BMW's. Legacy GT is a neat thought that I also missed.

Thoughts on the auto WRX?

Please, keep the ideas on options and pros / cons of the stuff posted here.

Thanks for making what'll be a hard transition a bit more interesting.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/20/13 4:50 p.m.

The DSG Volkswagens really are neat--at least worth a test drive. While it's only a two-pedal setup, it shifts gears like a manual. Actually, it shifts gears quicker.

You know, I can't recall driving an automatic WRX. Weird. The WRX back seat isn't huge, though.

I'm not a huge SMG fan. Yeah, around town they leave you hanging. Ditto the SMT used in the MR2 Spyder.

A traditional/modern auto behind a V8 (or even healthy 6) always works well, so that opens up stuff like the CTS-V, Mustang, P71, Infiniti G35, etc.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/20/13 4:51 p.m.

I actually like the automatic in my 85 BMW 635. It's an older one so I would assume the newer stuff would be even better.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/20/13 4:52 p.m.

P71

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
12/20/13 4:53 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: The Ralliart Lancer has a DSG in it, as was pointed out in another recent thread.

It does, but I'm not sure you can find them in the OP's budget yet.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/20/13 5:02 p.m.

What about some kind of late-model Lexus luxo-barge--like an LS or GS? Sporty? Maybe not. Smooth and comfy? Definitely.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/20/13 5:06 p.m.

I drove an E46 M3 SMG on the track and around town and it was awesome. I didn't get to use it in stop-and-go traffic though.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/20/13 5:10 p.m.

I test drove a Jetta GLI with DSG...and really liked it. And I for one, hate automatics passionately.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YZCiXmDZwt7qdAIj9yMVfZXaBDnOSvXjrfNNhjrWv8lRYRX0FuJPPcrDfOB4ISsH