1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:38 p.m.

Not that anyone noticed, but I dropped off the board a couple of months ago for a variety of reasons. While gone form he board I found an album of old pictures when on a vacation back to the UK. Some of them were from the 1992 Spa Grand Prix where I was fortunate enough to have a pit pass provided by what was then the Tyrrell F1 team. Tyrrell have since morphed via British American Racing to Honda F1 to Brawn F1 to what is the Mercedes F1 team. Seeing as this weekend is Spa I thought I sign back in and post what I have.

How did I get the pit pass? Back in 1992 I worked in the test lab for a company called IAD (International Automotive Design, google IAD 'Alien', Yamaha OXY99 (code name Madonna) and the first running NA Miata prototype) IAD had a 4 post shaker rig and we did some damper feedback testing for Tyrrell, so they lent a friend and myself a couple of pit passes for the weekend. They were the kind of passes where officious looking security people stood in your way as you obviously weren’t' meant to be there, but one flash of the pass and they apologized deeply and held the gate open for you wondering which millionaire’s scruffy kid I must have been.

Anyway, onto a few pics.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:41 p.m.

First one. I don't think I need to introduce this chap. A few moments before this was taken I was even closer to him. I had my program in one hand and a pen in the other handing it too him for an autograph. As he was reaching for the pen and program a hand grabbed my shoulder and literally pulled me back and threw me on the ground as half a dozen professional reports and camera men surrounded him. I then dusted myself off and took a couple of snaps. At the time I was mad and disappointed, but with reflection I really like this pic. It's not a classically composed pic, but a true snap shot of the moment.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:46 p.m.

Now my real hero of all time. The Professor. Lists of drivers are always contentious, but to me his is the greatest of the modern(ish) era. Head an shoulders above Senna, Schumacher etc.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:48 p.m.

A real racer who's passion for the prancing horse cost him a ride at Williams in a championship winning car, but man what a racer. His amazing move re-passing Senna for the lead of the 1990 US Grand Prix in a Tyrrell is one of my favorite moves of all time.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:52 p.m.

Err, Our Nige' !

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/25/17 12:53 p.m.

Love the pictures thanks for sharing.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/25/17 12:54 p.m.

No, I noticed. Good pictures, thanks for sharing.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:55 p.m.

Future two time WDC Mika Hakkinen looking very young

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:57 p.m.

Thierry Boutsen in the twilight of his career now at a failing Ligier

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 12:57 p.m.

Another of Senna

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
8/25/17 1:00 p.m.

Fantastic stuff.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:05 p.m.

While I know I shot off at least 3 or 4 rolls of film there were very few car pics in the album I came across. Here's an odd one. Eric van de Poele in a completely un-sponsored Fondmetal-Ford. Strange it was all black as Fondmetal were (are?) an Italian wheel manufacturer. Back then i lived and breathed F1 and loved all the back marker teams trying to pre-qualify. Fondmetal took over another perennial back marker team Oselle but only lasted a couple of years before folding. Wiki tells me that Van de Poele qualified 15th and finished 10th which back then was out of the points (Points then were 10-6-4-3-2-1 1st to 6th) which was an excellent effort for the team, especially when you remember there were 30 cars vying for 26 positions on the grid.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
8/25/17 1:05 p.m.

These are truly incredible! Thanks for sharing!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:06 p.m.

Pretty sure this is 'Red 5' or 'Our Nige'

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:07 p.m.

Inside the McLaren pit during the race. That's Gerhard Bergers car who retired with trans issues.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:09 p.m.

Not sure if this is Schumachers or Brundles car in the garage, must have been earlier in the weekend.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/25/17 1:11 p.m.

Welcome back, you were missed.

Thanks for the presents!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:14 p.m.

Emanuele Naspetti leaving a pit stop during the race in a March Ilmor. Remember when March burst back on to the scene after an absence of 5 years with the stunningly beutiful and wonderfully liveried Leyton House cars in 1987? They ran as 'Leyton house March' 87, 88 and 89 before morphing into simply 'Leyton House' for 90 and 91 until Leyton house owner Akira Akagi was indicted for financial fraud by Fuji bank. March took over the team again for 92 but the early giant beating success was in the past and they faded into oblivion by the end of 92.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:17 p.m.

Another driver in the twilight of his career. Andrea de Cesaris Tyrrell during and leaving a pit stop mid race, he went on to finish out of the points in 8th

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:18 p.m.

Olivier Grouillard's helmet int he Tyrrell garage

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:20 p.m.

In and around the Tyrrell pit. Olivier Grouillard's car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:23 p.m.

Did you know it can rain on one part of Spa and be Sunny on another part!!! I saw that many times. Here's a few in the pit lane. The early days of Footwork Arrows before their middling success of the mid 90's

More from Tyrrell

An Ilmor engine, I assume in the Tyrrell pit but it could have been the March

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:26 p.m.

Is 'Etifosi' still on here? This one should make him happy. Think about this, I wasn't just in the McLaren pit during the race, but I took this inside the Ferrari Garage at some point over the weekend. Damn I was spoiled.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:26 p.m.

My then hero's car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/25/17 1:27 p.m.

The Woking boys, always perfectly turned out as you'd expect from Ron Dennis

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QldltIgDZBfNmZQ5wNHO0gVApMZUDxcYBvmcV2D5am8xhKAnRayWHD8FZZOc2Pbv