1 2
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
4/7/19 9:40 a.m.
Woody said:
RealMiniNoMore said:

Found on FB, posted by a guy that works on the RR. 

All the live long day?

“The eyes of Texas are upon you, you cannot get away...”

maybe 0.1% will see what I did there

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
4/7/19 10:04 a.m.
slefain said:
Nitroracer said:

These engines do have more in common with ships than passenger cars or heavy duty trucks.  The crank is a massive 1-piece unit, I stole a picture from this thread which calls out some specs: 11 feet long and 4,200 pounds.  The locomotive v12 engines weighed around 30,000lb, but the marine v16 I worked on pushed 80,000lbs.  The same cylinders can be used to build I6, I8, V12, and V16 configurations depending on the power needs.

https://www.getransportation.com/marine-solutions/marine-engines

lbs.

You know, with a little time and a grinder I bet we could knife edge that crank. Get it down to 4,180 pounds, pick up a few horsepower on the top end. Should really help in that peak 1,000 - 1,055 RPM range.

And we'll throw some ARP headstuds in there....those factory TTY bolts are known to fail......

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/7/19 10:16 a.m.
appliance_racer said:
slefain said:
Nitroracer said:

These engines do have more in common with ships than passenger cars or heavy duty trucks.  The crank is a massive 1-piece unit, I stole a picture from this thread which calls out some specs: 11 feet long and 4,200 pounds.  The locomotive v12 engines weighed around 30,000lb, but the marine v16 I worked on pushed 80,000lbs.  The same cylinders can be used to build I6, I8, V12, and V16 configurations depending on the power needs.

lbs.

You know, with a little time and a grinder I bet we could knife edge that crank. Get it down to 4,180 pounds, pick up a few horsepower on the top end. Should really help in that peak 1,000 - 1,055 RPM range.

And we'll throw some ARP headstuds in there....those factory TTY bolts are known to fail......

I don't know if those little engines are big enough, but on Really Big Engines, they use a hydraulic ram to tension the studs to their working load, and then the nuts are snugged down by hand.

It's like torquing rod bolts by stretch, except even more accurate.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
4/7/19 5:06 p.m.
Knurled. said:
appliance_racer said:
slefain said:
Nitroracer said:

lbs.

I don't know if those little engines are big enough, but on Really Big Engines, they use a hydraulic ram to tension the studs to their working load, and then the nuts are snugged down by hand.

It's like torquing rod bolts by stretch, except even more accurate.

Spot on.  Nearly every job requires a crane, but only a few require hydraulic tools.  The cylinder head studs are tensioned and then the nuts are spun down to secure the cylinder heads.  The connecting rod bolts use a hydraulic tool as well, and brace off the opposite corner bolt if I remember correctly.  Neither are something to enjoy putting your hands near.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
4/8/19 7:29 a.m.

That's what they deserve for cheaping out with an ebay shortblock.  I always say, you'll save money in the long run supporting your local machine shop.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
4/8/19 12:38 p.m.
Knurled. said:
appliance_racer said:
slefain said:
Nitroracer said:

lbs.

It's like torquing rod bolts by stretch, except even more accurate

All of my experience is with automotive engines. That's a very interesting way of doing it. I can see how that would end up much more accurate and consistent. Do you have any pics or diagrams of how that's done?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gcbpie2lVJJAMn2Zrmaz4hjE0NHA0lOMEt5jQiXXRxYaSk5XK7OWgDqsSe6nCBRU