18 19 20
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/25/22 12:50 p.m.

They're under the tech section at flyinmiata.com, but here you go. These are based on conversations with Dave Coleman and experimenting on our own car. The second day we had our first ND, I was at the track doing alignments in the pits :) A crude version of the following made a significant difference in lap times and also improved the steering quite a bit.

The ND has a very different suspension design, and combined with the electrically assisted steering, demands different numbers. These are the numbers we use on our cars, and they've shown no unusual wear and have pulled over 1.05g on the skidpad in magazine testing. We strongly recommend that every new ND get an alignment, as they're not really aligned at the factory. These numbers will give better steering feel, more grip and better stability.

Front
Caster: 8.0 degrees (basically, as much as possible)
Camber: 1.8 degrees negative (again, as much as possible)
Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

Rear
Camber: 1.8 degrees negative (matching the front)
Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/25/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Great, thanks. I'll print a copy and put it in the car.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/25/22 7:36 p.m.

Anyone know what the easy button is to get more front camber on these cars?  Would love to get 2.5-3 degrees if possible. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/25/22 7:44 p.m.

Moar low :)

Seriously, though, we have some offset bushings we're working on. Just waiting for some revised prototypes at this point. And if we're working through our R&D process, that probably means there's something already out there from our more nimble competition. Trying to support all aspects of four generations and requiring actual testing and documentation makes us a little slower.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/25/22 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Sometimes, slow is fast.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/27/22 9:36 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I'm down in East Point. I was up there before 8, which was perfect timing. The fjord was Helton Creek falls, between Neels and Hogpen gaps.

You're welcome over anytime for a test fit/drive. I also autocross regularly if you want to co-drive sometime. 

Where do you autocross? I'm in Roswell.. have never done it and it seems like a itch I should scratch - maybe eventually with my sons as a new activity. Not trying to be a stalker but I'd love to tag along someday and see how "solo" works. I am also very curious about that seat bracket since my FIL has owned every generation of Miata and I fit in exactly none of them due to my height. 

2/27/22 11:39 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
maschinenbau said:

I'm down in East Point. I was up there before 8, which was perfect timing. The fjord was Helton Creek falls, between Neels and Hogpen gaps.

You're welcome over anytime for a test fit/drive. I also autocross regularly if you want to co-drive sometime. 

Where do you autocross? I'm in Roswell.. have never done it and it seems like a itch I should scratch - maybe eventually with my sons as a new activity. Not trying to be a stalker but I'd love to tag along someday and see how "solo" works. I am also very curious about that seat bracket since my FIL has owned every generation of Miata and I fit in exactly none of them due to my height. 

Maschinenbau has the Aurora mounts and I have the Paco mounts... if the three of us ever get together (autocross?) you can compare them side by side. I'm 6' tall and the seat lowering kit made a huge difference. Huge.  I'm down in East Cobb, probably close to you. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/27/22 12:34 p.m.

Apologies for the thread-Jack. I don't know why I do this to myself. Dreams of driving a "the answer" I suppose. 

After looking up some specs I'm certain there is not a chance in hell that I'll (6'-5", 35" inseam) fit even in an Aurora bracket modified ND RF.

Any seat with <38" headroom is a non starter - so chances are slim but possible in an ND convertible (with the Aurora mount). Have any Atlanta GRMers made that mod?... very unlikely.

..but I'm definitely curious about your paco seat bracket modified NA.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
2/27/22 12:57 p.m.

Atlanta SCCA does events at Atlanta Motor Speedway parking lot. It's a huge, open course usually with 50 second runs. http://atlantascca.com/

Feel free to PM me about meeting up for test fitting. I live downtown and work in Smyrna.

Yeah, 6'5" probably won't fit even with my lowering brackets. I'm 6'0" and wouldn't want to be any taller in this car.

2/27/22 9:43 p.m.

^ what he said. At 6 feet I fit well with the Paco brackets, but to wear a helmet I really need the top down. I think at 6'5 it's going to be tough to fit. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/28/22 12:37 a.m.

Mazda definitely didn't design the ND for the taller end of the human race, and the RF has 3/4" less headroom than the soft top.

Chrissmith
Chrissmith New Reader
2/28/22 5:21 a.m.

I daily drove my Dad's Miata to university 2 years ago,  and it was great. Just a backpack and me haha.

18 19 20
Our Preferred Partners
wwjQHTuo63RkTG4qWX9en2goYKVCfmxDs5Ewnk5BgwQAN7AABiSOGHyKSWq1BwgG