1 2
sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/28/15 1:20 p.m.

Where should someone look for a cheap, vintage racecar to do this kind of project? Needs to seat 2 :)

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/28/15 1:47 p.m.

In this kind of shape

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
2/28/15 2:02 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

Google "street legal can am cars", go to images. There's some very cool looking examples shown.

lrrs
lrrs New Reader
2/28/15 2:06 p.m.

Manta mirage. I've seen some with open cockpits and velocity stacks. Check adhuntr. I believe the last timeni searched there was a yellow one for sale.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/28/15 6:30 p.m.

The barn find car you have pictured is not really a Can Am car but a re-bodied F5000 race car. Late in Can Am life the series dropped the full monocoque chassis and went with a full bodied F5000 chassis. The F5000 series had just shut down due to lack of interest, sponsors, or something and there were many of these chassis lying around with nowhere to race. Can Am interest had also dropped with the exit of the big dollar teams so this gave a boost to low buck teams to continue to compete.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/28/15 7:07 p.m.
lrrs wrote: Manta mirage.

This is what I thought of first. There is a Mirage running occasionally at Hallett with a liscense plate. It is seriously fast and the owner has dirven it on the street on weekends for years.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/28/15 7:12 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

And I bet I still couldn't have afforded that one in "barn-find" pic. There's just so much awesome going on there, I'm sure someone paid some serious $$ for it.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/28/15 7:58 p.m.
jimbbski wrote: The barn find car you have pictured is not really a Can Am car but a re-bodied F5000 race car. Late in Can Am life the series dropped the full monocoque chassis and went with a full bodied F5000 chassis. The F5000 series had just shut down due to lack of interest, sponsors, or something and there were many of these chassis lying around with nowhere to race. Can Am interest had also dropped with the exit of the big dollar teams so this gave a boost to low buck teams to continue to compete.

That's why it says in this kind of shape"

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/28/15 8:28 p.m.

Is an Ultima GTR a candidate or is that too new? You can still buy those right?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/28/15 8:45 p.m.

there was a guy who had one around my town - 20 years later I see it at a car show and I told him about the car from years ago - he was surprised I remembered. Downers Grove, IL?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/28/15 11:55 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Is an Ultima GTR a candidate or is that too new? You can still buy those right?

Way too spendy, I'm looking for a wreck that I'll have no remorse about attacking with a sawzall if needbe.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/1/15 9:22 a.m.

Are you planning on registering such a beast for the street? If so and you succeed I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/1/15 9:44 a.m.

The fly in this ointment is going to be the requirement for "Cheap"

Even if someone gave me the barnfind car, it would take a bucket of cash to make anything usable.

How about something like what jmc14 is building in the build threads portion of the board: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/abarath-sp-1000-tribute-build/95771/page1/

He has the molds and is looking for clients.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/1/15 10:18 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Way too spendy, I'm looking for a wreck that I'll have no remorse about attacking with a sawzall if needbe.

Assuming you mean an actual Can-AM car, at this point I'd think that even wrecks are too valuable to attack with a sawzall. Maybe something from the sports racer category would work. They used smaller engines but were two passenger (in theory) and generally looked similar to a Can-AM.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/1/15 10:46 a.m.

I don't think youll do any cheaper than Manta Mirage http://www.usacarads.com/detail/Used-1975-Replica-Kit-Makes-Manta-Mirage/QNXaQfZPIXUXUfNXPXN.html

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2015/02/5k-some-assy-required-1975-manta-mirage.html

When the first search result I saw was this one it seemed like it fits the image (and is awesome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhV1a5Co3YQ

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/1/15 10:46 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
sesto elemento wrote: Way too spendy, I'm looking for a wreck that I'll have no remorse about attacking with a sawzall if needbe.
Assuming you mean an actual Can-AM car, at this point I'd think that even wrecks are too valuable to attack with a sawzall. Maybe something from the sports racer category would work. They used smaller engines but were two passenger (in theory) and generally looked similar to a Can-AM.

This would be perfect, ive got a scheme as far as power goes anyway.

As far as bucketloads of cash are concerned, i have a full fab shop at my disposal, and am resourceful

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/1/15 11:41 a.m.

Probably not what you're looking for...But the Spec Racer Fords essentially have that 'vintage' sports racer shape to them still.

Speaking of shape, they can be made primarily from simple 2D curves. For as much work as it might be to repair and modify existing rough condition bodywork, it might not be much more effort to just start from scratch and make it exactly what you want from the start.

kb58
kb58 Dork
3/1/15 11:52 a.m.

Your requirements seem to point toward finding a wrecked Manta. As was said, real race cars from the 1960s will cost a fortune in any condition. Imho, the composite shell is where all the labor is, so hopefully you can find one intact.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
3/1/15 12:06 p.m.

Buy an old Sports Racer. Attack frame with sawzall and welder. Restore body. Add lights, etc. register/inspect. done.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/1/15 12:47 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Probably not what you're looking for...But the Spec Racer Fords essentially have that 'vintage' sports racer shape to them still.

I've thought of that myself, but it would take a lot of hacking to turn an SRF chassis into a two seater.

DLD
DLD New Reader
3/1/15 1:17 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
sesto elemento wrote: Way too spendy, I'm looking for a wreck that I'll have no remorse about attacking with a sawzall if needbe.
Assuming you mean an actual Can-AM car, at this point I'd think that even wrecks are too valuable to attack with a sawzall. Maybe something from the sports racer category would work. They used smaller engines but were two passenger (in theory) and generally looked similar to a Can-AM.
This would be perfect, ive got a scheme as far as power goes anyway. As far as bucketloads of cash are concerned, i have a full fab shop at my disposal, and am resourceful

If you have a full fab shop at your disposal, why not just build your own chassis, which could be made much more suited for street driving than a true competition car. There are numerous bodies available that are copies of CanAm vintage. The money you save building instead of buying a chassis should make up for the expense of buying a vintage racer. I have a friend who owns three UOP Shadow cars from the 70s, A CanAm, F5000 and an F1. Serious dollars involved, regardless of the condition. This is my friends driveway, I drool every time I visit him! He also has a vintage Lotus Formula Junior and a Formula .Super Vee

DLD
DLD New Reader
3/1/15 1:41 p.m.

If you check out the manufacturers on this list you might find one that will sell you the body only. http://www.kitcarlist.com/

ronbros
ronbros Reader
3/1/15 4:20 p.m.

i think of real Can-Am cars with Big block chevy engines or (flat 12 Porsche 917 turbo).

a chevy would be cheap, but a 917 engine might be expensive!

nothing beats the sound of 15-20 BBC exhausts when flag drops!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/1/15 8:23 p.m.
DLD wrote:
sesto elemento wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
sesto elemento wrote: Way too spendy, I'm looking for a wreck that I'll have no remorse about attacking with a sawzall if needbe.
Assuming you mean an actual Can-AM car, at this point I'd think that even wrecks are too valuable to attack with a sawzall. Maybe something from the sports racer category would work. They used smaller engines but were two passenger (in theory) and generally looked similar to a Can-AM.
This would be perfect, ive got a scheme as far as power goes anyway. As far as bucketloads of cash are concerned, i have a full fab shop at my disposal, and am resourceful
If you have a full fab shop at your disposal, why not just build your own chassis, which could be made much more suited for street driving than a true competition car. There are numerous bodies available that are copies of CanAm vintage. The money you save building instead of buying a chassis should make up for the expense of buying a vintage racer. I have a friend who owns three UOP Shadow cars from the 70s, A CanAm, F5000 and an F1. Serious dollars involved, regardless of the condition. This is my friends driveway, I drool every time I visit him! He also has a vintage Lotus Formula Junior and a Formula .Super Vee

I've got chassis building capability, but have zero desire to do the r&d that these teams have done to make a decent chassis. It's a bit of a pipe dream anyway but I see it as, why spend 70k on an ariel atom if you can restore and modify a 60s-80s race car and have something interesting for hopefully half or less.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/1/15 9:55 p.m.

Half that, ~35K, is going to be almost impossible at least in my eyes with vintage base. Heck you could take a 7 chassis and find a replica body and do it for that and have it really drivable.

100-125K maybe if you got really lucky with something vintage.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
ai9XlvCG9Wcf8JdobONSd0t7kDEPwHyNFH0rn2CaxnBAOjAjCTef6iyZOLVjzqu9